Author Topic: barnaget bay  (Read 12052 times)

Offline double3fd

barnaget bay
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:52:20 PM »
does anyone know any good fishing spots on the barnaget bay, i just got a boat, haven't fished there yet.  is there any wrecks or specific spots that are better than others.  also, how far do you think it is to get from where toms river meets the bay to the atlantic through the inlet by IBSP?  on a map it doesnt seem that far.  any helpful info about the barnaget would be great. 

thanks guys
-Angry Snapper- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: barnaget bay
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »
I myself have just started fishing it again.. Years ago I had no knowledge of that area.. Now I'm picking up on some..  I know the inlet / Light house area produces a lot of fish as do the sod banks at the end of double creek I believe it is..

When your new to an area like that.. there is nothing wrong with fishing near the fleet t^
and from there you can locate specific locations if you start doing well.

I really love the fish outside along IBSP t^

As for the distance.. can't be more the 10- 15 miles.  If that.. well worth the run t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:06:19 PM »
Hi double3fd,

The run to the inlet is like Rod said just figure IBSP is roughly 10 miles long and tack on a mile or two and you have it.  Don't rule out going north on the bay around the  Mantoloking Bridge as there are a number of great holes up there.

Plus the "hole in the wall" the small bridge by the Dock Outfitters. 

Have fun searching out the holes they are all over the area.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »
I used to fish the lower end of Barnegat Bay almost exclusively, until my boat died. nosmly  Oyster Creek, Double Creek, Tices Shoal.  Yeah, I know that part of the bay like the back of my hand. 

*Looks at the back of his hand*

Hmmm... Never noticed that before! ;D

Seriously, there is a lot of good fishing to be had back there.  Just plan on fishing either during the week, at night, or very early in the morning! t^

Offline double3fd

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:30 AM »
great thanks guys!
-Angry Snapper- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:56:49 PM »
there are a few good areas in the bay throughout the season.  the bay is VERY SHALLOW.  take the advice of fishing weekdays, and early morning.  on the weekends and holiday weeks the bay get very crowded and rough.  in the summer as soon as you get a wind vs tide scenario, the waves start to come. 

as for areas to fish, the species targeted makes a world of difference.  weakfish can be very good depending on the year and are easily picked up in the early morning hours.  most of my fishing for them was done before many boats were on the water.  fluking in the channels can be good, but the drifts are short and dangerous with the boat traffic.  just dont anchor in the channels.  some people dont know that.

anyways, as i think of more info i will post it.  good luck

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »
also, great crabbing in the creeks down there.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:51:40 AM »
What is so great about the bay is that the fish are all over.... I have found nice fishing in areas that most would only crab in the summer...

If your in the Toms River area.... That one of the bays best spots to fish from March to December..... If I can do it with a kayak... You can do it easy with a boat
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline BackBayFishin26

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
Like everyone said running south is great to fish oyster creek, double creek, the shoals, meyers hole and the inlet but the north bay is great.  Try making a run to Mantaloking Bridge its worth it.  There is a 22'hole somewhere out there ;) ill let you find that one on your own.

Good fishing!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-