Author Topic: Question for charter Captains  (Read 7196 times)

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
Question for charter Captains
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »
I am considering chartering a boat for a few of my fishing companions for stripers.  (Might end up being next year since I have most of my summer booked.)  I've never fished from a boat in salt before.  Question is what equipment do I need to bring?  I do prefer to fish with my own rod and reel.  If I brought my own what rod types are normally used from boats?

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Question for charter Captains
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:30:38 PM »
Hi Tabasco,

With the charters I run, I prefer that you use my equipment. However, I always accomodate my guests.

I think that equipment should be discussed ahead of time so that everyone understands the type of gear needed for the targeted species; conditions; etc. This can be a 10 minute conversation a few days before the charter.

The things I discuss:

1. Are you using braid?
2. What rods do you plan to use (so I can see if they can perform with the weight that is needed)?
3. What type of reel (conventional vs. spinning)?
4. Etc.

I charter boats for myself and I run through all these things as a Customer.

I also ask about dry storage for clothes; types of shoes (me and black bottom sneakers are enemies at times); space for food and drinks; alcohol policy; and some other things.

I also think it is good to discuss what I expect as a Customer and what the Captain expects as the Captain. There are no surprises then.

As a Captain, there is always a moment of worry when you see your crew for the day heading toward your boat and each one has a huge cooler and a ton of gear in tow.

As for rods and reels from boats, it depends on how much can you spend; on the depth of water; species that will be targeted; and personal brand loyalty.

If you need help with gear ... there are plenty of folks, including myself, that will help you out.

I guess the first thing to decide is what type of fish you want to target. That will give you a time window and then we can all figure out gear with you.

If you can find the time, try ot get out with one of the guys on the board to see an operation in progress. I see a bunch of offers to take people out. Feel free to arrange something with me.

Good luck and have fun,

Capt. Ed

Ruger314

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:44:40 PM »
Great suggestions.. do you mind if I steal this page for future use!! And if Tabasco Joe can get up this way one day this season I'll offer up a spot..

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:47:20 PM »
Joe

Agree with Capt. Ed.....a lot depends on what you are going for, what time of year you are going, etc.

I welcome my clients to bring their own stick and we rig it for you. Give a shout anytime with any questions. Good Luck and Good Fishing TT^

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 09:48:10 PM »
Hi Joe,

All info is for public use.

If you need check lists to go through with clients, I will send them to you.

Good luck with getting the Captain's license. It feels good to get the paper.

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »
Don't forget it also depends on what type of fishing you are going to do.  Are the fish being caught on the troll?  Wire line? Bunker spoons? Jigs? etc. 
Most customers will not have trolling outfits, especially for wire line or bunker spoons.  If trollong is the ticket for the day, all your extra rods will do nothing but take up space which is often limited on a six-pack charter.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:15:04 PM »
Hi IrishAyes,

Oh yes ... forgot that.

Thanks for adding to the "unofficial checklist."

Best wishes,

Ed

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 09:12:11 AM »
I've never used a guide for fishing but I have for hunting.  I learned that asking a lot of questions before hand, even finding out if the guides temperament matched someone you wanted to spend the day with, would lead to a rewarding time.  Hunting or fishing with someone knowledgable can really jump start your learning curve.  So for me it's as much of a learning experience as a fun day outdoors.
I started the thread to get information about how to go about planning a charter so any other thoughts, questions, ideas, are welcome.

Capt. Ed, One reason I like to use my tackle is that I become more familiar with using it correctly.  In my case I'm left handed and some reels are a pain while others are not.  At the same time using tackle supplied by the charter gives an opportunity to check out various equipment.  I certainly would have a discusion before hand and not try to force fit anything.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:56:42 AM »
Hi Tabasco_Joe,

Going about booking a charter takes a bit of investigation, as you know.

For me, I pick a species of fish that I would like to catch. I then look at the areas of the state or country where I have the best chance to catch that species and find out the best time to fish it.

For example, Cape May, NJ for drum right now.

I then find the "hot" Captain in the area. For our example, Captain John would be my choice (and he is a sponsor) for drum.

After I pick a species and have narrowed down the time of year/place/Captain, I get on the phone and try to book as far in advance as possible. I know some Captains that are booked out years in advance.

So, for me, here are some guidelines for local species:

1. Black Seabass (offshore): January timeframe right out of Pt. Pleasant on The Gambler.

2. Black Seabass (inshore): June (any of the sponsors - personally I do not charter for seabass as I am still looking for a world record fish).

3. Fluke: June (any of the sponsors). You can get them pretty much anywhere in NJ waters at this time.

4. Blackfish: April (most of the sponsors).

5. Drum: April/May (Cape May) - Capt.John K our sponsor.

6. Stripers: June (any of the sponsors).

7. Winter Flounder: April (Capt. Anthony - Angela Rose our sponsor) in Manasquan River/Upper Barnegat Bay or Capt. Allen of the Reel Class.

8. Tuna (offshore): August thru November (my choice is early September) - Capt. Freddy our sponsor or a Party Boat like the Gambler.

9. Tuna (inshore): June - Capt. Freddy or one of my friends, Capt. Gene of Shore Catch.

10. Mako: Now thru June - Cape May. Many folks to choose from.

11. Porgies and Croakers (August/September) - Any of our sponsors, fairly close to shore.

12. Cod (May/June): Helen H in Massachusetts.

13. Ling (basically year round): any sponsor boat.

14. Bluefish: (May/June best through the summer) - any sponsor boat.

I agree that you should use equipment that you are comfortable with, especially if you are a lefty.

Around here, I am just used to supplying the more exotic/upper end equipment that I spend a lot of time maintaining.

In Florida, I shudder when I charter a boat and do not have my equipment as I have fished with some real crap that was not maintained well down there. I guess I should have asked about the condition of the equipment ahead of time.

So, any ideas on what species? For my money, I would book a Striped Bass charter in early June and try for the fish of a lifetime. As long as the menhaden (bunker) reduction boats are kept out of state waters, this fishery should be worldclass!

This is just a quick off the top of my head list. let's work more details for you. The hardest part of booking a charter in the Northeast is the weather.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 06:12:56 PM by Hotrod »

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »
I would tend to lean toward stripers, fluke, or blues.  Since I generally go on a fishing trip with my brother and son each June let's use a June 2008 striper trip for discusion.
I fish fresh water a lot for bass from my own boat.  I tend to like fishing with some casting (jigging, plugging, etc.) as opposed to trolling.
What is a typical June day like striper fishing?

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 02:21:31 PM »
Hi Tabasco_Joe,

It should be casting to bunker schools and snagging them and then live-lining the bunker for the cow stripers.

The Captain may net the bunker ahead of time but I would discuss this with him/her.

There is nothing like ripping a 10/0 weighted treble hook (or A47 - single hook for the C&R folks out there) through a school of bunker; snagging one; and then have a giant bass hit it.

That is my idea of good fishing.

It is also a time where you can throw BIG wooden plugs and hook up.

Depending on the way fisheries management opens the fluke season in 2008, you should be able to do some bottom fishing for fluke and seabass on the same trip.

Where would you like to take the trip from (i.e. Northern, Central or Southern NJ)?

Any Captains want to jump in here?

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »
Sounds good.
I live in Bucks county PA so most of the Jersey shore is about the same distance.  Maybe leaning towards central or north Jersey since 195 seems to be a quick route over.
Tell me a little about equipment used for live lining?  Plugging?  Rods, reels, line, etc.

Andreas Toy

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 06:35:07 AM »
Hey Capt Ed, thanks for mentioning my name, will begin tuna fishing next week, will report back with results.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-