Author Topic: What's The Biggest Mistake an Angler Can Make?  (Read 34660 times)

Offline thompsonny

What's The Biggest Mistake an Angler Can Make?
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:25:27 AM »
I'm new to the fishing scene - what is the biggest mistake that a fisherman can make?  any tips?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:32:11 AM »
Without giving it much thought, probably one of the biggest mistakes is giving up on a spot too soon. You may need to wait out a tide change for the bite to begin.

Not matching the hatch is probably the number two big mistake.

There are plenty of other little mistakes that are made but my opinion is the above are two the most importants ingredients to put together a catch.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:15:44 AM »
I agree with Joe.  I think another is, especially if you frequent any of the boards it not listening to what people are saying about catching.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  That is what this board is all about.  We are not here to ridicule but to teach and learn as well.

This is suppose to be a fun sport and relaxing don't get wrapped up into advanced equipment at first that will put you in the poor house.  Yes they will help out in many ways but the fish have no idea how expensive your gear is.

And lastly practice, practice, practice.

Don't give up...

Have fun...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
I think the biggest mistake is not going fishing and waiting for "ideal" conditions.  If you waited for the right tide, right moon, right wind, right temperature and right barometer to all line up...you would never get to fish.  Just get out when you can and when it is safe to get out.  There are many days that the reports or weather doesn't look good.  Then you go out, the weather is great and you catch because you are fishing.

I think another mistake, which kind of ties into the first one, is over thinking and over analyzing everything too much.  Sometimes trying too hard, doesn't produce any catches.  Historically, people have fished with sticks and string and any sharp piece of metal for a hook in any body of water nearby where they live ...and they catch plenty...enough to sustain themselves and family members.  First time or new people fishing always seem to catch or out catch the experienced fisherman.  So, I think if you just go out, cast and reel, or put bait out and wait, you will catch.  There are certainly some types of fishing which require more experience(tog) or a lot of experience and equipment(offshore), but in general, there is always something to catch for the occassional less experienced fisherman/woman!

You have to fish to catch and have to have bait or a lure in the water to catch.  If you don't catch, it is still a good day fishing, out on or near the water in the outdoor air, not having to think too much about anything. 

Good Luck and enjoy grtn!

TT^

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:59:31 PM »
 whs use to have a casio watch I recieved as a gift and it was a fishing watch,you set it up for your area and it would show the best times to fish by displaying o to 5 fish on the display,I use to tell friends while we were out fishing when it displayed fish to get ready,but never did any better,other times excellent fishing without showing anything.just have to get out and try no matter what conditions,tide, weather,moon phase,not catching if not trying. 5hrug
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:01:38 PM »
The biggest mistake an angler can make is not paying attention.  That means paying attention to many things such as, weather, water conditions, lure color, speed of retrieve, depth, bird activity, other anglers, etc. etc. etc.

There are a ton of variables in fishing.  If you want to relax, that's fine.  Just toss a worm on your hook, throw it in and wait.  If something bites, great.  If not, no big deal.  Many people enjoy that type of fishing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But, if you want to catch, pay attention. t^

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Re: What's The Biggest Mistake an Angler Can Make?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »
I think the biggest mistake is forgetting that you're out there to have fun.

Be safe, have have fun and always try to learn and challenge yourself...

As for the tecjnical stuff, I'd say not paying attention to the tide and other environmental conditions.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »
Telling your wife your fishing with the GUYS,and and and and and and and and and .....(I bet there are a million stories out there) rofla rofla ;D

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:20:18 PM »
wow.. biggest mistake would be.. not being prepared.  Set drag, use correct bait, make sure your net is handy
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:17:10 AM »
 Almost lost a few poles while surf fishing. Stake not deep enough drag wrong and not paying attention. Kind of funny though when you have to chase your pole.  cfzd

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 06:42:43 AM »
How about laying a rod on the console instead of putting it in the rod holder...lost 2 outfits like that.  rgmn

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 08:19:05 AM »
happened to a friend of mine,didn't put in the rod holder and over it went,I was up front on the bow and I got blamed for it,he blamed everyone on board,it was an expensive rig also.I still bring it up to him how he blames everyone except himself.watch your own pole I'm not watching it. nosmly
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »
1) Not be willing to adapt to the condition and try something different. 

2)Letting your spouse know who much the new Avet reel cost! slt

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
I actually saw them both go over in front of my eyes. Both times I laid the rod on the console to quickly take by jacket off and...whamo...over it goes just when my arms are behind me taking of my jacket. Did I say  rgmn  rgmn

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
Probably, depriving yourself of the experience of fishing simply because you did not expect to catch anything.  While it is true that some days are very unlikely to produce, it is certain you will not catch anything by staying home and watching Bill Dance.  Fish as often as you can, because all the forums and fishing literature in the world cannot replace time on the water. 

Good Luck
blynch
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline mgm

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
Not paying attention to the terminal end of your tackle.....sharp hooks, properly tied knot, no nicks or abrasion on the leader, etc.....that's how a lot of bigger fish are lost or not hooked.  I can take a skunk day because that will happen if you fish enough, but don't want to lose that really good fish because of carelessness at the business end of my tackle.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:29:47 PM by mgm »
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 11:49:21 AM »
This is a great thread ;D!

I think some other big mistakes are not being safe in general.  Every year I read about people being killed while fishing...drowning, lightning strikes, boat accidents, etc...

Another one is not being patient and when getting a hit, setting the hook too early or too late.  Setting the hook like the "pros" on TV is not always necessary...especially with these new no stretch superlines.  I have seen people rip the bait and hook right out of the fishes mouth before it has a chance to close it's mouth.  I also have seen people set the hook so hard that they probably have ripped lips off or ripped through the lips, since they don't have any fish on the other end.  You have to know what type of fish are in the area you are fishing.  Be familiar with the techniques used to catch them.  Be familar with how to handle them and unhook them!

TT^

Offline Great American Fisherman

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »
Try not to get wrapped up in the weather and seas.  Especially during fluke season.  If the ocean looks snotty, go to the Highlands and fish one of the boats that fishes Raritan Bay.

As folks have said, pay attention.  Also, ask questions.  Not one person on here has all the answers.  But, as a collective unit, we have most of the answers.  A lot of us have been doing this all our lives and in my case, I still know squat...........  rofla

Seriously, we will help you, just ask away.

You don't need expensive equipment.  If you have the means, I guess its ok.  But you can get good products for a smaller amount of money.  Trust me on this one.  All my stuff is Penn except for two Ugly Sticks.  Not too expensive and I am happy with the equipment.

Again, use the Private Message feature if you dont want to post an open message.  With the PM you can write to anyone of us in private.  Or do it on an open thread.  No question is stupid.  That is the great thing about this site.  The people on it are terrific.

Take care and welcome to our world.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 12:44:42 PM »
Never trust your GAS GUAGE! rgmn rgmn rgmn
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:21:14 AM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
The biggest mistake an angler can make is not paying attention.   t^

put in your time and make it well spent.
have fun above all...

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-