Author Topic: How to surf fish  (Read 5686 times)

Offline jakesnizzy

How to surf fish
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Hey everyone,
I am new to surf fishing and I have no experience at all. And need help on what to get and how to fish at all from the beach.Please HELP!!!

Offline yogi192

• MAN WORKING!!!!
Re: How to surf fish
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »
I'm glad you asked because I would also like to get going with some surf fishing.  I was wondering if my height has anything to do with what size surf pole i should get.  Like I'm 5'6" and was wondering if a 10 foot pole is sufficient or maybe going 12 foot, but wondered if i would be able to manage a 12 footer and not wearing myself out.
I hope I didn't make anyone pee their pants for asking that question. hhppy hhppy hhppy  rofla  rofla
MAN WORKING!!!! WOOT WOOT

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »
Welcome Jake..    GREAT POST..  Give the boys some time.. they will fill this topic up with some of the best info you couldn't pay for t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
welcome..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
First welcome guys and you have come to the right place as we are not shy in this information category.  I would first like to ask a question of both of you.  Where will you be fishing other than the obvious and that is in the surf.

The reason I ask is because if you both are that new the best thing is to go out with someone and experience it first hand.  Try different equipment and get the feel if you would even like fishing the surf as it is a lot different than fishing from a boat or from a bank of a lake or stream.

Basic equipment is not to bad but there is a difference between Large Mart stores and a decent pole you will get from a good Bait & Tackle shop.  Besides if you frequent a good B&T you will build up a repore with them and you will be amazed at all the information they will share with you.

If you are not sure if surf fishing is for you and would like to try it sometime I have taken a number of new anglers out and have allowed then to try all sort of equipment to see the difference between good, and better.

But if not we will walk you through the process on here.  It will take a little time so patience is needed here.

For right now it is not important to know any particulars as to what kind of fish you are targeting because the season and the ocean will dictate that for instance this time of year the Striped Bass will become the main influence off the surf for now and b y Mothers day you will start to see blue's and weakfish in the back bays start to come alive.

As far as size of the person it does not matter to much with todays light poles and techniques I can have you tossing lead with the best of them in no time. 

I have to warn you though, it is habit forming, and the never ending, "I got to have that" syndrome will never end once you are hooked on the sport.

It is always good to meet now anglers to the sport of surf fishing so fire away on your questions and lets get started.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline yogi192

• MAN WORKING!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:53:47 AM »
I live in Elizabeth, but I'm not worried about driving two hours to south jersey if it involves fishing, plus getting valuable lessons from experienced anglers.  I am also willing to make a contribution to your time, weather it be money, food, or fishing items to compensate your time and knowledge.

I see sandy hook is probably the closest bet for me to surf, it's about a 40 minute drive from Elizabeth, but willing to meet anywhere for that matter.

I read your great report on reading the sands, while it was very informative, I see much time on the sands is needed to fully grasp the topic.  Loved the pictures with outlined areas of key spots to cast at.

I believe I already had the habit start and I'm lucky enough to have my girl be ok with me being fixated on fishing in general.

I had started to build a relationship with the bait store in the bronx, but now that is out of reach since I moved to NJ.  I might still fish a few times out of city island party boat (Northstar 2) because of the great crew and captains.

I'm very excited to get out on the sands and wet a few lines, and I believe I have the patience to eventually be productive in this great sport.
Thank you for your time.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:55:57 AM »
Practice is the key word here.  Learning to cast is the simple part and getting your lure or bait in the right place comes with time and learning to read the water.

After the holiday is over if you want to get together I can take you out to IBSP for some practice and show you how to start to read the water and what to look for.  In the mean time there are a few good articles on here that are worth the read.  As picking up some books on surf fishing to read how others ply for their catch.

I am a great advocate in reading but there is no better teacher than going out and trying new techniques for yourself.

Sandy Hook is a great spot but I have not been up there fishing for a long time as I have the pass to IBSP and it is easier for me to get to the spots riding the sand as oppose to walking to the beach areas.

I could meet you at a favorite B&T of mine not far from the entrance to the park and ride in from there.

As far as anything needed I have all the gear unless you have your own equipment either way we can transfer it to the Expedition and head for the beach.

I don't charge for taking anyone onto the beach for lessons if we need bait it is not a big deal and as for food I have a cooler rack that will be iced down and ready for anything that needs to be kept cold.

Just give me a few dates and we will get together.  It is early in the season so catching anything will be a tough go but like with anything if you look at it asa a learning session anything we do catch is all icing on the cake.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline yogi192

• MAN WORKING!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »
 slt

That would be awesome, just let me know what day you are available and we'll meet according to your schedule.

IBSP looks like a great place to get started at.  I read on their website that they do Surf Casting beginner clinics which I look foward to attending.

July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and August 6, 13, 20
Beginners Surf Fishing Clinics
8:00am – 2:00pm
Fee: Park Admission
All equipment supplied
Island Beach State Park Nature Center
Minimum age of 10, minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Sponsor: Governor’s Surf Fishing Tournament & Island Beach State Park.
Learn the basics of this fascinating sport. The clinic is for beginners that want to learn the techniques for successful surf fishing. Dress for being in the surf!

This was last seasons calendar and I hope they do it again this year.
This looks like anyone can attend just pay park admission.

I look foward to meeting you at IBSP.  WOOT  slt

There is also fishing by kayak for all the yak lovers out there.  I would eventually want to try that but I need the basics first, no sense in rushing to the yak if I'm still learning to fish.

Offline yogi192

• MAN WORKING!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 03:04:46 PM »
Hey Ped579
Let me know what your schedule is like, I would love to meet you at IBSP.  So eager to hitting the sand.  Is there any equipment I should get in line before hitting the sand.  Like boots (waders?? not sure what these are).  My biggest pole is a 7 footer, not sure if that is long enough.

If it's a weekday.  Trust me i'll take the day off just to make sure I get this valuable time on the surf.

Thanks again Paul.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:24:48 PM »
Let me check with the warden tonight and see what her schedule is like and I will get back to you if not this week next week for sure.  A weekday would be better for me if that is okay.

As far as waders I have a pair in size 11 and 10.  If you want to try them on for size before you buy its fine with me.  I have extras because relatives come down and they have no clue as to what surf fishing is all about so no worries there.

You can bring your rod and try plugging as I have everything for you to try as well.  Everything from 8' to 11' depending on conditions.

This weekend is our NJSWF Party and it might be tough as I might be out back trying out my new kayak in the morning.

So lets keep it to next week and see what the weather will bring.  How much of a notice do you have to give.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline yogi192

• MAN WORKING!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »
I just tell my boss the day before and I'm set.  I have plenty of time off left, cause I've been saving them for fishing season  ;D ;D ;D

Man that is nice of you.
Ok so i'll bring my rod for pluging and try some of your gear.
Next week sounds great.
I'm going to talk to the miss to see if I can make it to the party   chrz chrz chrz

Thanks again.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »
Paul let me know what day you guys pick   I'll me you out there if I'm not working.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »
Let me know what days you have off and we will work it around that... t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline yogi192

• MAN WORKING!!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »
 t^
The more the merrier

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »
I work tomorrow, Sunday and Wednesday.  Everything else is clear.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 11:13:30 PM »
Lets see what the weather will be like for Tuesday or Thursday then.  Sounds good to me.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline yogi192

• MAN WORKING!!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 07:48:45 AM »
Just let me know and I'm there.
Its looks like rain all next week so far 57-60 degrees, lets hope it clears up.  You guys fish in the rain??

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 08:03:29 AM »
ooppss....i work thurs. next week, not wednesday.  but don't let me hold you guys back.  set it up when the weather cooperates. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »
Okay, I guess we will just have to fall back and wait to punt.  This time of year it is nasty fishing in the rain.  I would rather not.  So I guess we are in a holding pattern for next week till we can see what the weather window looks like.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
Good question. You might think about taking a walk on the surf and see what some of the boys use and how they set things up.You sound like you have a sincere interest in learning. Condrads your on your way.Check out the Bait and Tackle stores and the Marts see whats around.
I'd set a budget in the beginning and add to your collection as your needs and desires to fish expand.  All the Fisherman will attest... Its Addictive, and we all have toooooo much stuff
But thats the fun. Good Luck.AJ.   

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-