Author Topic: BARNEGAT BAY/BARNEGAT INLET STRIPERS  (Read 5829 times)

Offline mws222

BARNEGAT BAY/BARNEGAT INLET STRIPERS
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:25:58 AM »
Has anyone seen any striper action in Barnegat Bay/Barnegat Inlet or the ocean around the area? If so, what kind of bait, any specific areas I can try out? All I've heard is Oyster Creek and Hi Bar with worms...

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: BARNEGAT BAY/BARNEGAT INLET STRIPERS
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »
Are you fishing from shore or by boat?

The back Bay is full of fish...lots of reports of schoolies with occassional keepers mixed in.  I think it is a little too early for bass in the Inlets in any quantity.  The water is still cold for them to be moving out front yet.

I heard Oyster Creek was elbow to elbow there.  If you are fishing from shore, you can hit any bayside dock in the evening and work some artificials in the lights.  Clams seem to be working really well too.

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline mws222

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 01:52:55 PM »
I'm fishing by boat. I'm new to fishing in the area, so I don't really know much about the area. What do you mean by back bay?  Thanks for your help.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »
Back bay just refers to the bay (Barnegat Bay, etc) as opposed to the Ocean....out front vs out back.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »
 Have only been around last season but I have had good luck at the beginning of OC and DC channels.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:44:12 AM »
First, Welcome Aboard mws222.

If you can get into shallow water with your boat try over by the sedge islands behind Island Beach State Park as the bite has been steady there for about a week now for stripers.  Many schoolies but there are keepers in the mix.  With that said the fish are not biting well during the day as usual.  Being stripers are mostly a nocturnal feeder your best bet would be very early morning or just before dark.  Especially in the shallow waters of the bay.  Up north it seems to be a different ballgame all together.  But with that said you still will catch a good amount during the day if you try hard enough.

Bait if choice would be clams or if using plugs get something that will take you mid water column.  Like in the 5" Mombo Minnow class. 

I have to warn you though back in the flats can be tricky so check your tides and make sure you can get out once the tide changes.  Look at Google satelite view to check out the Sedge island area behing the inlet to the north.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline fathernature

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »
I'm fishing by boat. I'm new to fishing in the area, so I don't really know much about the area. What do you mean by back bay?  Thanks for your help.

If you're new to the area, I would suggest taking a local out with you a few times to become familiarized with the area. You can get in trouble very fast.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:46:16 AM »
This is true fathernature, Welcome Aboard BTW.  That area back there is loaded with fish but the only way to fish it hard is by kayak or wading.  Which now I have the opportunity to do both.

But like fathernature said if your new to the area be very careful or take a local that knows the waters.  If you get up on the flats and stranded it is a long wait till the tide changes for you to get off of.  Bin there done that many moons ago as a kid.

Good luck

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »
 the guys have giving ya good idea's so far.

i would say for oc and dc, an outgoing tide wold be better. i think on incoming water it would be a bit chilly yet.

best bet i can think of is casting along the edges as ped stated. cast shallow a retrive over the drop offs into deeper water. or it may be as simple as jerking a plug around in the flats.

as others have stated,,, messing around behind ibsp you CAN get into trouble in a hurry, and many have, during the peak there is someone stuck atleast weekly

being in bb, you also have the option of going north, towards the manasquan inlet. its a nice ride, and should open your fishing spots up awhole lot more. there are some nice flats, and some very nice holes along the route,, just watch your depth gauge to find them. one example spot is a couple hundred feet off of "the dock bait and tackle" off of rt37 in seaside, there is a hole, goes to about 25-28 feet in depth, surrounded by water in the 8 feet range.

just dont give in to temptaions and try fishing in the point pleasant canal, that water moves fast, and is unforgiving,,, save that spot for the ground pounders.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:56:58 AM »
...if using plugs get something that will take you mid water column.  Like in the 5" Mombo Minnow class. 

FYI, a 5" Mambo Minnow is a very shallow runner.  If you're looking for a plug that runs deeper, try an X-Rap which will get 3' or 4' down.  In my experience, even a Long-A Bomber will dive deeper than a Mambo Minnow. ;)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »
It also depends on the scope of your line.  I like the 5" MM out back where the water depth averages only about 3' in most places.  It is a tried and try lure for the bay. 
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »
I agree that it's a great lure. And I've caught a bunch of fish on them.  t^  I'm just saying that it's not what most people would consider a mid-depth lure.  It's a shallow runner.  I think you'd be hard pressed to get it to dive deeper than a foot without tying a sinker to it. ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »
Like I said in 3' of water is will swim mid level.  5hrug
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-