Author Topic: Striped bass tips  (Read 60243 times)

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Striped bass tips
« on: February 16, 2007, 01:04:34 PM »
Spring is on the way and so are the bass, so lets hear some tips for all methods of fishing for them. I start my season w/ clams/worms on the flats where there is a creek to pump out warmer water to get them moving and feeding. As the season goes on, move to the edges of channels and anchor up and chum w/ all the shells,I like to smash the shells w/ a bat to disperse the pieces and to add a visual effect {pieces of shell flutter and flash}. I always keep all left over bait and put it in my chum freezer and use it for chum next time out .
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:38:17 PM by Hotrod/Capt.Rod »

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: striped bass tips
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »
Hi Catfish Hunter,

I could not have said it better myself.

The one thing that I would add is that if you can find a shallow flat, preferably with eelgrass, that has a dropoff nearby, fish that dropoff and surrounding area on an outgoing tide and you may find nirvana. There are a few places like that behind LBI but I don't have the numbers for them as I am a guest on a friend's boat when we fish those places.

Have fun,

Ed
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:13:31 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 01:32:41 AM »
Sounds like you have it pegged, all the right info/places. A lot of guys over look the back of rivers, the Navesink is great early in the year, water warms up and some real slob bass are to be found....love working the sedge grass with a plug ;D ;D ;D

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »
do you mean to tell me no one else as any bass tips to share ;D

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
Most tend to play their cards close to the vest ;) ;) ;) ::)

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »
Hi Catfish Hunter,

I will share any/all I know. I need a day or two to get my act together. I am at the Fred Hall Shows in San Francisco and each day since Wednesday I have been hanging out with some West coast Captains and Reps. Great way to learn new "tricks."

The one thing that the Captains and I have in common that I hang out with are that we share info. If everyone is catching fish, the better the buzz in the Newspaper fishing reports and the better business is for all making a living in the fishery.

Don Iovino, Hall of Fame BASS fisherman, has been sharing all kinds of ideas with me this week. I have written over 40 pages of notes. If he can help, there is no excuse for others not helping. I will post some interesting things about Lowrance settings in the coming days.

Give me a few days and I will get more info up. One thing in advance. I do not target Stripers, maybe once a few times a season from boat and a handfull of times in the surf as I believe the stock is not as "robust" as people think. I also practice strict catch and release.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:29:22 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 05:15:12 PM »
Most tend to play their cards close to the vest ;) ;) ;) ::)
so it seems

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 06:43:36 PM »
Catfish

In addition to what you are doing for bass with your posting, you should sned down a small bucket with frozen clams bellies. Set it about 2 feet off the bottom, this really gets them coming in........

I by my clams from the clammers and suck up a few bushel, grind or cut up the clams in small pieces, remember you want to attract not feed.....freeze he clams in their juice...........I also same the shells and juice if I am going out right away......I pre smash the shells in a five gal bucket and throw hand fulls over in between smashing clams..........

For my clam bucket I have a 2 gallon plastic bucket with 3/4 to 1 inch holes drilled in it, have a 10 pound weight in the bottom........give it a try ;D

Offline drome

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 07:35:04 PM »
Since the boat I use is a family used boat its not usually in the water until mid april early may...

Mid march to the end of march I go to a spot down by graveling point from shore and use some waders and worms and the spot produces tons of bass... not many keepers but definitely a good time catching... Come mid march to late april I'll let everyone know when I'm heading down and your welcome to come along if you want.

Btw I used to use my surf rod, but now with my new acquired skill in rod building, thats my next rod project, a casting rod sized down to a 7 footer from my 9 foot surf rod.

Offline captmatt

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 04:48:35 PM »
Catfish

In addition to what you are doing for bass with your posting, you should sned down a small bucket with frozen clams bellies. Set it about 2 feet off the bottom, this really gets them coming in........

I by my clams from the clammers and suck up a few bushel, grind or cut up the clams in small pieces, remember you want to attract not feed.....freeze he clams in their juice...........I also same the shells and juice if I am going out right away......I pre smash the shells in a five gal bucket and throw hand fulls over in between smashing clams..........

For my clam bucket I have a 2 gallon plastic bucket with 3/4 to 1 inch holes drilled in it, have a 10 pound weight in the bottom........give it a try ;D

Thats the same thing I do  ;D guess it is a Local thing  ;) ;)

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »
I do that also but I put them in my chum pot

Offline captmatt

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 06:14:01 PM »
I do that also but I put them in my chum pot

I guess it's the same thing, but we use a 2-1/2 gallon bucket as a chum pot ( homemade thing ) I like mine cause the lid is a screw-on type  ;)

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:41:20 PM »
[

I guess it's the same thing, but we use a 2-1/2 gallon bucket as a chum pot ( homemade thing ) I like mine cause the lid is a screw-on type  ;)
[/quote]
I'll have to try it ,thanks

Offline technologist

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 08:28:55 PM »
If your  fishing from the beach and using worms for bait it's important to use 2 or 3 worms on the hook. Don't thread them up the hook,just hook them through the head and they will stay on the hook and undulate in the current till a big bass eats them!

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 08:35:29 PM »
I mostly fish from the shore and we buy fresh clams still in the shells and shuck them as we need them. But I always make sure I get them out into the water, instead of giving the seagulls a meal because that just might attract some hungry bass :)
shut

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 11:58:09 AM »
OK, once I have determined where I'm going to drop the hook. flats, edge of a drop or a lump.Its time to get the baits out and get your chum going. I throw the shells and a few clam bellies over the side. For my rigs I use a fish finder rig with about a 8/0 circle hook and my bait is a big sloppy surf clam(you never know when a big cow is going to take your offering)With not more than 3' leader. I see guys using leaders that are around 5'. I think they would be more successful if they used a shorter leader. The reason: If you have a decent amount of current like we do in the Delaware Bay your bait will start to float up off the bottom. This is not natural. By using a 3' leader it seems to lay on the bottom better. I will even go down to a 2' leader if I need too depending on the current. I'll do this particularly around the new and full moon. When the fish picks up the bait and starts to move with it all we need to do is crank. Then hold on and enjoy the ride.

We fish for Black drum the same way.

Offline Kahoots

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »
im not a big stripper fan.but when nothing else is happening.I go by the commerical boats in C.M.,I use squid heads(dont throw them away, they love um)hook um thru the eyes.throw some chum at in coming tide ive caught double headers on top&bottom hooks

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 07:54:27 PM »
Hi All,

This may be the best tip I can offer from my time spent at the Saltwater Fishing Expo about stripers. Mike Laptow has released a new DVD about all aspects of stripers including underwater video. It took him 6 years to complete. I just started watching it. What I have seen so far is awesome!

I would get my hands on a copy and spend a bit of time watching it.

You can see some samples of his work at:

Stripers

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/stripervideo

Fluke

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/laptew_fluke_video

Thanks,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 09:23:49 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 11:48:31 AM »
I want to get both videos but the website doesnt have the Fluke video listed..Where did you get these videos agian Capt Ed??
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 11:52:10 AM »
I want to get both videos but the website doesnt have the Fluke video listed..Where did you get these videos agian Capt Ed??
do a search for striper gone wild

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-