Author Topic: Striped bass tips  (Read 60401 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: striped bass tips
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 10:19:31 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry ... forgot to put his link:

http://www.laptewproductions.com/

I know they have the DVD (unless it sold out) at Fisherman's Supply in Pt. Pleasant. There are also other ways to order such as the Internet at http://www.tackledirect.com .

I do not think the fluke footage is part of a fluke only DVD. I believe it may be part of the Stripers Gone Wild DVD ... or is just for show.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:41:53 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Captain Dave Wittenborn

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »
Chum Chum Chum
If you want to catch striped bass on a consistant basis you have to break out the chum pot.  I like to anchor up stream to a rip or drop off and set out the pot with clam bellies or bunker.  Whatever is available and is the freshest.  Flood or ebb tide doesn't seem to matter as long as you have tidal movement.  I only use circle hooks.  I used to not be a believer in them but they really work and the hook up ratio to me seems to be the same.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 04:57:56 PM »
 best thing to do is what has been said, but not expressed,,,, use fishfinderrigs  for your wieghts, get rid of the 3way swivels they are hurting you in the long run.

i use fishfinder rigs for everything, and will outfish people not using them just about everytime on the boat or surf.

these are the cheapies, but more than adequate fro mono users,, for braided you will want to get the heaver ones to prevent your line from ripping through it.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 05:17:02 PM »
Hi All,

I am in 100% agreement with Reel Time.

I may add to put a glass bead on each side of the fishfinder.

Why? The glass bead closest to the barrel swivel will protect the knot. The glass bead on the main line side of the fishfinder will protect your guide tip if you reel too much line in.

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »
Roger All That!!.

Last year I think I sat here and tied about 3 dozen Rigs.. "With the bead"  It also stops it from hanging up on the swivel And I found you can feel if you lost your bait or not because your not pulling on the sinker.

Ruger314

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 05:20:23 PM »
Heys a solid tip, Find a few head boats that are chumming real good. Anchor up a few hundreds yards behind them. Utilized the heavy chum slick they are producing and chum also. Being at the tale of their slicks will help pick up fish quickly.. Just be curtious is year approach and distance. You'll be able to snag some solid fish.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »
Nice!!..  I like that one..

Humm.  How many Cow Pics do you have? ;D

Is that the same fish? :P

Ruger314

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 06:37:48 PM »
Capt Rod.

No thats a different cow.. I fish three to four nights a week. Last year I had one of those seasons we dream of!!! I have pages of pics of some cows!! One night had 8 stripers all over 40lbs, while throwing back numerous 30lbers back.. I do have some secret tricks that work.. I'm definitely entering the tournaments this year!!

Joe

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 06:48:01 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry ... forgot to put his link:

http://www.laptewproductions.com/

I know they have the DVD (unless it sold out) at Fisherman's Supply in Pt. Pleasant. There are also other ways to order such as the Internet at http://www.tackledirect.com .

I was in Tackle Direct (9th st. in Ocean City) last month and they had the video playing.  It looked really good, I would of bought it but I spent all my money on a fly box and tying materials.
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 07:10:36 PM »
Everytime I went to order it the price made me sweat.  I have very limited funds for odd things like this but I keep hearing how great it is so I think I'm gonna pick it up.
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 07:11:12 PM »
Hi All,

I 100% agree with Young Gull!

Tight lines,

Capt. Ed

Ruger314

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »
any shops have it locally?

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 07:29:41 PM »
I picked mine up at the expo..........The vendor that had it also was Fisherman Supply in Point Pleasant.

next viewing at 8pm ;D
hey, you should rub it in a little!

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 10:25:13 PM »
Hi Shadyvito,

If Toms River is closer, you can borrow my copy.

Ed's library is open!

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 08:08:31 PM »
You guys are great.  I would take you guys up on that but the cost of the gas would be more then the video!  If I come up there to meet you guys it will be to catch some fish with you.  We should find a place and day where everyone can get together and meet face to face.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2007, 11:11:48 PM »
Hi ShadyVito,

You have an open invitation ... wait until things get going in a month.

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline CAPT RALPH

NEED HELP POSTING
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 05:52:06 PM »
Was wondering if anyone can help me locate where I post new messages?? I am only able to reply to them. 

Thanks for any help.
Capt Ralph

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 05:55:51 PM »

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2007, 08:15:33 PM »
Hi Ruger314,

They had them at Fisherman's Supply in Pt. Pleasant. Give them a call ...

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline shucker

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2007, 05:22:36 PM »
Heres a few tips that produce for me.Early season surf bass [march-april]I fish the back of raritan bay cliffwood-keansburg using 2 rods one with high low rig the other with fishfinder rig.Clams are the bait of choice ONLY FRESH ONES.I will hit creek mouths and sedge banks,incoming tides have always been better for me and I like the wind in my face.I bait up by cutting clams in half and using the ribbon from the shells also Ive gotten many bass by just the ribbon.I try to stay away from the crowds also fishing at dusk and at hard to reach spots,allot of fisherman are lazy and dont like to hike it or get wet.From late april to may I head to sandy hook using the same approach.By boat I'll start bassing between the ! can in keyport to keansburg pier in 20-10ft of water I'll get a bushell of clams and take 2 dozen and put them in a 5 gallon pail with a little water and smash them to make a soup.By smashing the clams in the boat I think it mimicks the clammers with their rakes and rings the dinner bell for bass.As the water warms I head to deeper water And switch to chunking bunker.Again fresh is best but I have had luck with vacuum sealled frozen bunker as well.I cut my bunker into 4 pieces discarding the tail section.I also use the fish finder rig with 60# flourocarbon the heavy line tends to hold up well if blues are around.I like to anchor upcurrent of any kind of stucture ie a dip,lighthouses,musslebeds.I try to cover all parts of the water coulum by setting my baits staight down,50-100 ft behind the boat and  i like to set out a floater by casting infront of the boat and letting it drift back.Whew thats allot typing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-