Author Topic: Hunter 2-Tues May 12, Raritan bay Blues,Blues, and more Blues  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Cashin and I left Wagner's marina in Keyport at 3pm. Dead low tide was coming at 6pm. The sun was out and the wind was very light. I anchored the boat on the Keyport flats hoping to pick up some Striper's. We tossed out some clams an immediately had some yellow eyed demons coming over the side. Not exactly what we wanted but very fun to catch. t^   The tide was moving too slow to for striper action, So we changed over to topwater plugs to play with the Bluefish. The Blues were crushing the Plugs on four out of five casts. It took us longer to unhook them, than it did to catch them. What a blast. TT^  I wanted to wait till the tide changed to incoming and had good water movement before we started chumming and throwing Clams for the Striper's. Around 6:30pm the incoming water was moving slow and then the wind started :-\ :-\ rgmn. Who turned on the wind machine? Instantly 20 to 30 mph west gusts kicking up the waves fast. So we decided to play with the Bluefish some more on topwater plugs and save the Clams for another day. It was too nasty out to make a run to Sandy Hook for striper's. The waves were 3 to 4 feet and close together so we head in and cleaned up around 8pm. We caught and released over a hundred Bluefish up to 12 lbs, and had a great time. If you have not fished topwater plugs for Blues, Its a lot of fun.. Change out the treble hooks for J style hooks and Crush the barb with pliers for an easy release. And be careful,they will bite right through nylon mesh nets. rgmn
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:36:23 AM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Hunter 2-Tues May 12, Raritan bay Blues,Blues, and more Blues
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »
Nice report Eddie. Blues are always fun to catch.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline striper74

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:51:30 AM »
Bluefish often save the day.  It's a lot more fun catching blues than drowning clams and catching nothing!  Good job. chrz
I am not the boss of my house.  I don't know when I lost it.  I don't know if I ever had it. But, I have seen the boss's job and I do not want it! - Bill Cosby

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:15 AM »
nice suggestion about swapping the treble out and crushing the barbs down

personally I do not net bluefish but hadn't thought about them eating thru the net

Offline mass baster

• Fish
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:43:29 AM »
Nice work.  t^

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:48:02 AM »
Blues are fun,but they can sure raise hell with the boat. t^

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:13:06 PM »
Nice report Eddie, those blues are a blast to catch, alittle rough on the back after reeling in so many. in my case anyway  t^
Member Team Luna Sea 4

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-