Author Topic: Whats Better? Cabelas/Bass Pro or local bait shop?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline TRSteve71

Whats Better? Cabelas/Bass Pro or local bait shop?
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:06:56 PM »
As you guys know I am just starting out and was wondering where would I be better off shopping at Cabelas or Bass pro OR at the local bait shops? I am basing this question on price alone, becuase I already know the knowledge can't be bought.

Thanks

Steve
#2000 t^

chrz

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Whats Better? Cabelas/Bass Pro or local bait shop?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
Basing everything on price isn't always always what it seems.  I have has dome very good deals at our local B&T's simply because I shop there rather than go to some of the Mega Sports stores.  Once the small mom and pop stores get to know you it is amazing how much you will save as they are not afraid to discount a lot of items you will pay full price for.  Plus don't for get the shipping.

Once Cabelas finishes its store in E. Rutherford and it opens you will not only be paying shipping but tax as well.  I know it has been put on hold but the grumblings it will start up soon.

So I am not a true fan of these huge stores, I guess it all boils down to is know your prices.  Shop around and go from there.  Steve if you want to get to know some of the shop owners in the area I will gladly take you over and introduce you to a couple of them in SSP.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline TRSteve71

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:55:55 PM »
Thanks Paul. I will take you up on that once I am ready to go.

I was in Kmart last night with my GF buying a new coffee maker and I was in the fishing section, and found some good clearance deals on some hooks, Eagle claw and Matsua(sp).

Got my cabelas in the mail today and they have some nice surf combos in there, might pick one up.

I do like to shop around and get the best deal on things, so I might hit a few sports depending on the distance. I know certain shops might charge more on a combo setup but if I can spend my money there and then get knowledge on top of the sale then I would be 100% into keeping the mom and pop shop in business.

Steve

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »
I enjoy the locals.  I have made a lot of friends and some of the regulars once they get to know you will tell you about spots and techniques you never heard of.  I have been fishing these waters in Ocean County for over 50 years and I am still learning new stuff.  Plus I have met some very interesting people especially those that are lure builders, plug builders and fly tiers you usually read about.  Most are willing to open up once they see you in the local shops, especially if you buy their products.

Man is it raining out there.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »
I have found both Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop to be over priced on MOST of their items. You can get much better prices at your local B&Ts and big box stores. (Not that I advocate the big box stores, Sorry Bucktail  ;D)

Pick out ten items from the Cabela's catalog and go into your local store and compare the price and I think you will find the price comporable or below Cabela's.

Plus you get to do the touchie/feelie thing right there, no waiting involved.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »
neither.. SRMO.com
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:23:17 AM »
SRMO is an excellent source but still like Joe mentioned if you want to do the touchie feelie thing the locals have my vote all the way.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:50:24 AM »
SRMO is Mac's B&T in Neptune (Shark River), on Rt 35.  t^

Decent prices and he carries a lot of items in the store.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »
I spread the weath around...local B&T's, Mega stores, my local large sporting goods store, plus E-bay.

Don't forget that those large mega stores employ a lot of your friends and neibors.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »
I spread the weath around...local B&T's, Mega stores, my local large sporting goods store, plus E-bay.

Don't forget that those large mega stores employ a lot of your friends and neibors.

t^

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 11:21:24 AM »
My advice would be to get to know your local B&T guy and support his business. Cabellas & Bass Pro etc... are OK but local info is "priceless". You can spread it around but over the years it helps to have some sound local advice especially just starting . ;D

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 09:52:17 PM »
I like to spread the wealth around too!  I have found many of the local B&T's competitively priced with the chain stores.  In fact, I can buy their "store brand" lures at much cheaper prices than the "store brand" in the chain stores.  I think the local B&T has better quality "store brands" as well.  Of course, the knowledge and comraderie that the local B&T brings is priceless.  I spent over an hour one day in a SSP B&T.  I was getting the run down on baitcasters.  Heck, I even got to practice cast some on a side street.  Certainly can't do that at too many other stores!  When I finally buy my baitcasting setup, that is where I will be purchasing it.

I tend to do my saltwater buying in the local B&T because they have a MUCH better selection than most of the big box stores.  Their tackle selection also caters to the local type of fishing here.  I hit Cabelas, BPS or my new favorite, Dick's for freshwater gear that I can't get around here.  When I got back into fishing and needed all new freshwater setups, I split between semi local and Cabelas.  I had the hardest time finding rods that I was looking for.  As for the discount stores, I use them for clearance or cheaper tackle that I end up losing anyway ;D.

Now, that I know where to buy everything...I wish I could just buy more time and better weather and then I would be as happy as a pig in poo!!

TT^

Offline Dloat

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 11:08:43 PM »
Like Pfishingruven said,I have found Dick's sporting goods to have a vast assortment and good prices as well.

Offline TRSteve71

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 12:13:19 AM »
Well I took the advice and I went to Murphys Hook House the other day and walked out spending $160 on tackle and a new surf combo. 

I also got about an hours worth of do's and don'ts from the gentlement that worked there, told me where to go and how to read the surf. Really really truly enjoyed the hour I spent in there talking to this guy and what I walked with in knowledge.

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 09:09:16 PM »
 TT^ TT^

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »
I spread the wealth around.
If the price is the same or close...i go with the local guys.  If it's a $40 savings on a $120 item...I gotta look out for my own pocket.
For rigs, small items and bait I spread it out over about 3 local guys.  Some days I'll hit both SSP shops on the way out to the park. 

I picked up a rod from a local shop over the winter...they were running a great sale.  When I checked out he said...." I don't expect you'll have a problem, but it you ever have a problem with the rod, come see and I'll take care of it."   Won't get that from any website.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-