Author Topic: Spro bucktails and fluke fishing  (Read 15569 times)

Offline joe987654321

Spro bucktails and fluke fishing
« on: May 22, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »

I purchased an assortment of 1, 2 and 4 oz Spro bucktails.  How do I determine which weight to use for a particular location?
 Also, does tipping htese things with gulp produce good results?

Offline Noworries2009

Re: Spro bucktails and fluke fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »
I always use the smallest possible jig. If you can stay verticle with only dropping back to keep on the bottom once in a while you have it. Verticle in deep water is best. Shallow water 10 to 20' with no real snags you can play around casting them and working them back. I'll use a 1oz. here. Always except when something else works better  t^

Offline mgm

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
I always tip with a Gulp swimming mullet, but I know folks that use squid,bluefisn or spearing, etc.....always add something with scent.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »
use the size heavy enough just to hold bottom and add either a gulp minnow or a large peanut bunker or Smelt.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
If you start using the bigger, heavier bucktails, you may also consider adding a stinger hook.  I like to use an assist hook for this purpose.  Then I usually put a Gulp! Swimming Mullet on each hook.  It really makes the bucktail come to life! t^

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:35:58 AM »
I also like to use the lightest bucktail possible.  I have had great success using 2 Spro's, with the smallest one being your teaser hook about 16 inches to 2 feet above your main bucktail. It does get expensive if you are fishing some really nasty structure, but the results are worth it. You also have to be careful when you net the fish and try to take it off the hook.

My favorite bait is a whole squid on the bottom bucktail.  You definitely need a longer stinger hook for this to be effective.  The whole squid also lets you use a lighter Spro as it adds extra weight to the presentation. The teaser bucktail can be topped with just about anything that the fluke would find attractive. You will be amazed on how many fluke will be caught on the teaser hook.

Tight Lines,
Bob G

PS:  You should be using some kind of braided line to really make this work right. I use green Power Pro on most of my reels.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:40:17 AM by njbob49 »

Offline Drew806

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:41:51 AM »
Can Spro bucktails be used from land fishing the river, beach, or inlet as well as off a boat. I'm considering the new pier they have in Point Pleasant where the old hospital used to be. And if so I'm looking for suggestions and methods.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 07:11:15 AM »
Can Spro bucktails be used from land fishing the river, beach, or inlet as well as off a boat. I'm considering the new pier they have in Point Pleasant where the old hospital used to be. And if so I'm looking for suggestions and methods.

They can absolutely be used from land.  For that area, get yourself some in 1/4 to 1/2 oz.  Tip them with a Fin S, Gulp!, a minnow, spearing, or some cut bait.  Cast it out (usually up and across the current) and try different retrieves until you find what the fish like.  Swim it slow, use short hops, long pulls, drag it, etc.  Many times, if the current is strong, the best retrieve is to just keep a tight line (reeling just fast enough to stay in contact with the jig) as it swings throughout the strike zone.

Personally, I find the advantage of the Spro is the way it hangs in the water when fishing straight up and down (like from a boat).  Since the line tie is further back than on most other bucktails, it keeps the jig in a more horizontal position.  So, basically, it swims better than other bucktails.

From the shore, although they are great jigs, I don't find the Spro design to have any advantage over any other bucktail.  BTW, you can also rig a Fin S or other soft plastic on just a plain leadhead.  It won't be as expensive, if you lose a few, and you'll probably catch just as well.

Good luck! t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-