Author Topic: Memorial Day weekend LBI report  (Read 2256 times)

Offline AKscuba713

Memorial Day weekend LBI report
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:59:57 PM »
Phew... Where to start..
. fished LBI friday, plugs and bait, starting at 3PM into saturday around 8 or 9AM. WE fished the beach and the inlet with plugs during the daytime, hit the very tip of the south jetty and saw some blues crashing bunker WAY out in the channel. Switched over to bait for sunset and had no luck at a few different spots we tried. Went to a few back bay spots with plugs, heard the fish right near us popping but no luck once again.

Our usual fish in the inlet were being finicky this weekend, only bumps on plugs that worked last weekend so we tried clam on a hook with no weight. Rob got 3 fish, 2 shorts and his keeper @ 31 inches, I got nothing. We climbed all over the rocks at slack tide poking around and I looked into a crevice.. A redheaded swimmer was stuck in there. I was dead certain it was the one I lost my keeper striper on last weekend, but turns out it was a nicer yozuri plug. Tossed it into the bag.

Rob with his 31 incher -

We headed for the beach for sunrise,Got lost on the north end paths through the dunes and had to walk through the dunes to find the beach with the fog being as thick as it was. I managed a skate so we packed it up and headed south. it was a long morning, we fell asleep on the beach with our rods locked in our knees. Woke up to some D-bag with a surf cart who had set up one rod on one side of us and 2 on the other side, we were close to one of the little LBI jetties and he had basically set up around us, and casted over our lines.... WTF. We packed up and left and ran back to the house for a shower and some food.

Saturday daytime found us taking a break from fishing and doing some thinking and hanging out avoiding traffic during the day and taking a nap after being awake for almost 26 hours straight, not counting the 10 minute powernaps. I threw my freediving gear on after Rob told me his grandmother had mentioned a sunken kayak in his lagoon. Well we found it....

I located it after swimming a "mow the lawn" search pattern for 2 minutes. Tied a marker buoy on and swam back down to it, figured Id give it a yank. It was stuck hard in the mud so I surfaced, pumped up again and swam back down. Had a bitch of a time finding the thing again with the viz kicked up but I found it. Planted my feet and gave it a good yank and it popped out of the mud. We spent another 2 hours trying to drain the thing and get it up out of the water, it finally drained enough that we got it out. We're gonna clean it up, fix the 3 little holes and put it to good use

Saturday night found us zipping around deadsticking bunker chunks at a few spots. On our way to the north end these two SMOKIN HOT girls in a mustang were kind enough to blow kisses to me and Rob for about 10 minutes. Considering we looked like hell it lifted our spirits.. I almost followed em/almost crashed the jeep twice :p but fishing was on the brain.

My buddy Smitty came out and met up with us so we tried one of our pluggin spots with teasers, to no avail. Went to the inlet and I got this little guy on a redheaded swimmer I found in the rocks Friday night, from there we saw some bass hanging in the shadow lines but couldn't manage a bite out of em. around 0230 we called it quits, Rob was falling asleep hanging over the bulkhead and i was dozing off on a park bench. Went back to his house and crashed for 11 hours of sleep. 

got this little guy on the redheaded swimmer

Young and love fishing...

Willing to do weekend work on a boat spring/summer 09 fishing season... have references!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Memorial Day weekend LBI report
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:04:11 PM »
Fine report. Busy weekend for you guys. Even with the not so hot fish bite, you guys had a good weekend. t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline AKscuba713

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »
You know me Irish, I fish hard and long and never quit man.... Its been a long season so far. Ill find these bass eventually. We're gearing up for flukin in the back of LBI in the next 2 weeks.

Willing to do weekend work on a boat spring/summer 09 fishing season... have references!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »
Good luck to you AK. Everyone can tell by your reports that you fish hard.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:19:13 PM »
Well, just reading that report wore me out!  Time for bed! ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
Good try AK,

At least you were out.  I was not able to get out on what I heard was one of the most productive days in a couple of years.

I walked into Grumpy's this morning and was assaulted by remarks like where the he!! have you been?  We killed them Sunday.  All on bunker and Pencil Poppers (red over yellow) and Swimmers.  Most were caught just before dark, as the blitz was on.  I checked the log book and I could not believe all the bass that were logged in.  I think the biggest was 38+# but if you knew how to throw plugs you could not help but catch.

There were guys and gals that had to stop because their arms were getting tired.  Hard to believe but true.  I only wished I was one of them.  I hate when that happens.

So you see count your outing as a great catch as many of us can only dream about being out there.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline AKscuba713

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:12:26 AM »
OH I know the feeling Paul, I was on the south jetty saturday night when I got a text with a picture from my friend Joe of a 37 pound bass he hooked on a pencil popper.  ??? 5hrug

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-