Author Topic: brand newbian  (Read 6508 times)

Offline mcyc

• Full Member of the Den
brand newbian
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »
Hey, im brand new to kayak fishing but im pumped to get into it.  Im looking for a kayak to go pole fishing as well as going spear fishing (free diving no tanks).  The guy at nj paddler recomended the ocean kayak scrambler 11.  Any input on my prospective purchase will be appreciated.  By the way im in point pleasant and mostly be fishing the squan river,barnaget bay, and an occasional ocean trip.  thanks again.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: brand newbian
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:21:42 PM »
Welcome Aboard MC..  You came to the right place..  these guys LOVE talking YAK!

Please make yourself at home.. and there are no Stupid Questions.. t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
welcome
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »
Welcome Aboard mcyc,

I am still a newbie to the sport as well.  I have spent a lot of time researching different boats and their characteristics.  I have 2 new hips so I did not want to buy into something and not be able to use it later.  I went to a show this winter put on by NJ Paddler and was able to try out many boats they had on display.  I was drawn to the Hobie with the Mirage Drive but for me it was uncomfortable.  But for those that can handle it it is one of the best things since sliced bread.

I settled on the Hobie Quest and outfitted it with a few bells and whistles like a fish finder and an extra rod holder on the small console for trolling.  I also opted to go with their rudder system and I think I made the right decision as it helps stabilize the boat in cross wind situations.

The best advise I can give you before you buy is to try out as many boats as possible.  One other thing is to make sure you have a good system to carry the boat from place to place as well.  I factored the Hullavator by Thule into my system and I am glad I did.

The scrambler seems a bit small for fishing out of comfortably.  I live in Toms River and I t fish the Barnegat Bay usually behind IBSP.  I have not been out much lately due to honey do's and the weather but I can tell you it is great being able to go where most boats can't, now all I have to do is catch something.  Like I said I am new to the sport of kayaking but now fishing this area.  I have fished Ocean County for over 50 years and these waters are some of the best on the East coast.  If I were you I would take as many kayaks out and try them as the Paddler has the ability to let you try them just ask.

Good Luck in your choice.  I am sure the other guys will be along soon to chime in as well.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:54:48 AM »
Welcome aboard...look forward to your posts TT^

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:28:07 AM »
Welcome to the site mcyc...  chrz

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:19:41 AM »
Hey, im brand new to kayak fishing but im pumped to get into it.  Im looking for a kayak to go pole fishing as well as going spear fishing (free diving no tanks).  The guy at nj paddler recomended the ocean kayak scrambler 11.  Any input on my prospective purchase will be appreciated.  By the way im in point pleasant and mostly be fishing the squan river,barnaget bay, and an occasional ocean trip.  thanks again.
An eleven foot yak should handle a guy up to 200 pounds. What do you wheigh and how tall are you? I never liked the way in the oceans you get splashed from the bow and the wet seat you sit in but If its warm water only sport for you it shouldnt matter. I would insist on a demo and make sure its a free demo. I would also only do a demo on open water and would in your case want to jump in the water and know I can climb back on since you will be snorkling. I would think a Cobra fish and dive would be the ultimate choice for what you want to do. Especialy if you are heavier then 200 pounds.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »
 grtn Welcome to the site  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline mcyc

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  im 5'09 about 160.  i will definetly demo a few boats.  i plan on buying the first or second week of june so ill keep you gus posted on what i get.

Offline dreamsfloatjoe

• Bait Cutter
  • Bait Cutter
    • Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
 grtn Chips Ahoy and welcome aboard NJSWF, mcyc   chrz

Good Luck!  t^

DreamsFloat Joe - Mate
M/V Ye Ole Pirate, Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina, Amelia Island, Florida  32034  USA

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
Welcome to the site.... This is the place to ask all your question.... It may take a couple days to get the information your looking for.... but you will get the best advice possible....

I would take your time and buy a kayak you feel is best for you.... my first kayak was a hobie which I was told was best for me.... I spent more time in the water then fishing....every boat the past.... I would flip over..... take the kayak for a test drive and see what feels best for you....

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:30:01 PM by Hotrod »
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »
Welcome mcyc!! These guys are spot on - try it before you buy it!! And, like barrel said, make sure it's a free demo!
I'm not crazy about the OK line of kayaks because of the molded in foot rests, they just irritate the hell outta my ankles... BUT, the Trident 11 is supposed to be a great blend of speed and stability; hearing nothing but good things about them. AND, they have adjustable foot-pegs. The 11' my me a little squirelly in the sterm because of it's length but the 13' should be a nice paddle with a good glide...
Anyways, enough of my ranting! Enjoy the hell outta whatever you get!! And take pics! We all love pics!!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »
Welcome to the site.... This is the place to ask all your question.... It may take a couple days to get the information your looking for.... but you will get the best advice possible....

I would take your time and buy a kayak you feel is best for you.... my first kayak was a hobie which I was told was best for me.... I spent more time in the water then fishing....every boat the past.... I would flip over..... take the kayak for a test drive and see what feels best for you....

;D rofla TT^

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »
whats so funny..... I was right on the money  t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 09:26:44 PM »
"my first kayak was a hobie which I was told was best for me.... I spent more time in the water then fishing....every boat the past.... I would flip over"   ;D

Now that would be a neat video ;D

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 07:48:31 AM »
Rod you are so right..... that would have made a great video  hhppy

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »
"What to expect on your first Kayak trip" t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-