Author Topic: Belmar 05/30  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Woodstock

Belmar 05/30
« on: May 30, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
Let’s face facts. I’m not such a good fisherman. I seem to have a reputation as a good fisherman because my friends and family are no better. A few cell phone pictures with me releasing a short go a long way with the crowd I run with. I read this forum a lot and I truly enjoy reading the posts and living vicariously through the great fishing trips I read about.  It’s like an ongoing story with a familiar cast of likable characters. I sign on and look forward to the latest posts from all of you guys. Today, I post my first report: Launched out of Belmar at 11:30. Moderate traffic getting out. Trailer lot full of trucks and trailers.  Headed north to Asbury.  No action, wasn’t sure what to fish with anyway, although taking some fancy looking something out of the tackle box and dropping it in the water is fun nevertheless. The coolest thing was we spotted a pod of whales heading south. Something I’ve never seen before.  Didn’t get too close out of concern for their safety. One of the reasons I do this is for moments like that. Like the time some unidentified little bird flew into my boat and landed on me to take a rest. Things most people never get to experience.  Fun day. I’ll keep reading  the posts and looking for details that help me get better. Skunkeroo but I don't consider it a loss. Thanks to all. chrz

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Belmar 05/30
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
Great report Woodstock!  Whales are cool!  Sounds like you had an awesome day! t^

Offline sealife

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »
There has been a huge whale, humpback I think, in front of Asbury for the past few days along with a pod of dolphin (porpoise).  The whale sometimes rolls on his side and splashes the water with his pectoral fins.  Last night he swam right next to a guy in a kayak which surprised the hell out of the kayaker.

Offline Section32

• Hook'em Young!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 06:20:32 PM »
They are finback whales.  Should be at least two swimming together.  They have been in the area since last friday
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »
Nice report woodstock..  We learn something new every day here..  it takes me a week of reading and asking questions to  decide what plan of atack i will be taking on my next trip.  don't be afraid to ask.. this will not only help you.. but it will help those that are afraid to ask t^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 06:41:56 PM »
Nice Report Woodstock, I pulled out of Shark River inlet myself around Noon, Don't feel bad I didn't do any better nosmly It always makes the day on the water worth the while when you get to see those intresting things.  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »
Thanks for the report Woodstock.  The next time you go out try hailing the members of the site that are out.  Most have ch 68 in the scan mode so it is a good place to start.  I see you have enough posts to get into the Contacts section of the board.  Copy down some of the guys that are in the area you are going to fish and give them a call oncew you get out there.

Just mention you are a member of the site and I am sure you will get the freshest info possible.

Good Luck.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-