Author Topic: Weekend Fluke Report  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Weekend Fluke Report
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:47:31 PM »
Saturday afternoon I fished solo on the Misty Morn. Since I forgot my rain jacket, we of course had light intermittent rain most of the trip. Fortunately, a crew member had an extra top to lend me. Early on had wind against tide situation with a brisk east wind up against the end of the ebb tide. Started off in the lee of the wind, fishing tight to the Staten Island side of the Kill Van Kull. I started out using a 1 ounce white Spro tipped with a 4" chartreuse GULP swimming minnow and bait strip with a standout out hook 12"s above tipped with a 3" new penny GULP shrimp. Nothing on the first drift. Second drift I boated 3 fluke with 1 being a boxer. Third drift I added 3 more shorts. Out of the 6 fluke, 5 came on the bucktail.

Moved out into the bay during the slack. I added 3 more shorts and 2 sea robins to my total. These were all taken dragging bait as the drift was slightly too fast for the 1 ounce Spro. Keeper wise it was slow as only 5 keepers were put aboard but there was plenty of action on shorts. No one had more than 1 keeper and the pool winner was between 19-20"s.

This morning, Jason & I accompanied Capt. Allen and his brother in-law Anthony for some light tackle Manasquan River fluking. Action all day from Clark's east to the inlet. We bucktailed all day. By Clark's the best bait was a 3/8 ounce chartreuse jighead tipped with a GULP shrimp. East of the railroad bridge a 1 ounce bucktail tipped with a chartreuse GULP with a GULP shrimp on a standout hook 12"s above it the hot bait. In the deeper water the bucktail accounted for the majority of the fish and in the slower water the stand out hook with the shrimp was the ticket. Out of 80 fluke put aboard we were able to cull 6 keepers. Great light tackle action.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:49:05 PM by Skolmann »

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Re: Weekend Fluke Report
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »
Doc, Nice detailed report. Sounds like you had a very busy fishing weekend.You have to like those buckies as they offer plenty of action. t^

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »
good report,lots of action t^
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »
Sounds like you had a nice weekend. t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:25:27 AM »
Great weekend!

TT^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
nice report and catching

Offline striperdad

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »
Nice report.

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 06:32:25 PM »
Nice report good fishing

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
Thanks for the nice report. I have been doing better with the feather hook around 16 inches above the bucktail with bait on it.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 11:09:05 AM »
Thanks for the nice report. I have been doing better with the feather hook around 16 inches above the bucktail with bait on it.

I like using the GULP shrimp on the teaser, especially when fishing the back part of the bay or river(s) where there tends to do more mantis shrimp.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Nice couple of day's fishing!

I'm getting myself on the Gulp bandwagon this year too.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-