Author Topic: Killies ?  (Read 12130 times)

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
Killies ?
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:20:04 AM »
3 1/2 weeks ago I fished down near point pleasant in wall. I bought killies from I think its Alex's B+T, 1 pint = 10.00$. Fished Sandy hook last weekend, Saturday got killies from The Tackle box, I think they were 11.00$, THEN sunday, I got killies from Pete right by the highlands, something like 13.96$?? What is up with these prices all varied. 5hrug
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Killies ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:37:16 AM »
I think its time you invested in a killie pot.  They are not expensive and a whole lot of fun in the process.  Just put the pot out for a while in a feeder creak or stream with some bread of your choice of bait and reap the benefits.

The pots can be bought at most B&T's plus stores like Dick's of some of the others.

Happy Catching

PAul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:15 AM »
Well Paul, I'm up north in wayne, I dont think there brooks around here with killies in them lol. Can I use any fish that I catch ? I wonder if shiners would work. Ha

Fish On!
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »
June 7 $8.00 a pint at Fred's Bait and Tackle, June 14 $12.00 a pint at Julian's. I will be buying all my killie from Fred's from now on.

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »
I know, but on your way down leave a little earlier and put the trap in a feeder stream down here go and have a cup of coffee and a doughnut go back to the trap in an half hour and I am sure if there are any killies there you will have enough for your days outing.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »
Well Paul, I'm up north in wayne, I dont think there brooks around here with killies in them lol. Can I use any fish that I catch ? I wonder if shiners would work. Ha

Fish On!
dude, up north is the best place.  Hit the creeks in the Meadowlands..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 03:24:52 PM »
every time I stop @ Fred's they have no killies

$8/pt does me no good at that rate

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
Time for a change ? Anybody can catch their own bait. Take time and learn or use other types of bait. At Point Pleasant , I love using gulp baits like swimming mullets tied in hi/lo with a small sinker on the bottom. Have caught many keepers on this set-up from the wall. Get a cast net too and you can practice in Wayne. Have fun!  Go fishing!  ;D

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:23:20 PM »
That does seem expensive. :P
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:34:45 PM »
Killie pots will work for shiners too!  Super easy and usually quick like Paul said.  I always like to get my own bait, when I can.  If not, I usually pay $5.25-$6.00 for a pint.  I haven't bought any bait this year, though. 

Getting you own bait is cheap or free, fun to do, a good learning experience and adds to the actual fishing outing.  A lot of other "states" don't even buy their bait.  If they can't find it, they don't fish it.

As for a throw net, don't get caught using or practicing with one in any freshwater.  You will have to hit saltwater to do that.

TT^

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 06:40:02 AM »
when killies go into spwn they are hard to trap ,you can net them but then you are wiping the breeders out ,I sold killies for a short time ,it is alot of work for little pay .think about the guy out in the buggy marsh getting them and then think about the gas money he spends to haul them ,or  bait shop that has to keep them alive and pay for the power to run the tank. 10 bucks isnt that bad considering you the buyer dont want to spend any extra time getting them yourself

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 09:40:32 AM »
That's so true Cat.  When I was a kid down here I used to trap them and sell them to the B&T's  Not a bad gig as all we had to worry about was how long it would take to bicycle over to the different shops.  Plus back then there seemed to be a lot more tackle shops around and only one bridge over to the beach area.  On the mainland there were only about 3 or 4 that I can remember I used to sell to.

The one shop I sold to was the original Hook House back in the 60's.  Man that was a long tome ago.

These days no one wants to take the time to catch them and put them in pots to keep them alive and use them whenever for free bait.  Or almost free, the traps cost what 10 bucks or so.  Cattus Island was my stomping grounds and as they had tons of cuts in the marsh there were an endless supply back then.  Plus a safe haven for turtles.  I had one scare the crap out of me when it crawled over one of my traps, big dude.

If you know Cattus Island that was when the boat house was still there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:41:11 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 11:45:35 AM »
a couple years back I was broke and decided to make some pocket cash to pay for some upcomming trips ,I spent an entire day back in the marsh and got tore up by the bugs ,I had them by the thousands loaded in my truck ,I went shop to shop and there must have been a guy in front of me doing the same cuz not one shop needed them ,I was stuck w/ these thing and had to release them all .I knew every shop owner that I tried and they didnt deal w/ just one guy so I thought I was in the money but all I did was spend a day pullin a siene net in mud up to my knees

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
I hear ys.  I bet those guys selling the killies were kids.  As I still have seen a couple of entrepreneurs trying to make a summer buck.  Back then it was good for the shops as it was a cheap influx of great bait.  I guess that went the way of the blow fish.

Once in high school I used to clean the bottoms of many boats here by using scuba gear and a good scraper.  The boaters that kept their boats in all year used to love it.  A cheap fix for them as I only charged them 25 bucks.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »
In today's age of Gulp, who needs killies? t^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
This is true, but I'm sure there are a few people that still carry on in the old tradition.  I still see kids on some of the feeder streams still trapping killies.  Good for them.  Just as you still can find Lemonade stands in the summer on back streets of Any Town USA.

Its all good and if the shops were smart they would gather up some kids and make them an offer.  I bet that shop would be flooded with the bait and sales would be more in line with yesterdays prices.

I'm a dreamer what can I say... t^
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
Well, technically you need a licence to sell bait to the bait shops.  Wasn't too long ago F&G busted quite a few people with herring over the limit and illegally selling them.  Gotta pay taxes ya know ::)
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
Wow a kid can't be a kid any more. f!n state
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »
Yup, the State doesn't care who you are...they want their cut of the money or else.  I'm surprised they don't go after the little lemonade stands for sales tax.

I don't mind paying the price for bait when I need it.  However, in todays economy, sometimes I need to save money any way I can or else there won't be any fishing for me.  I usually buy from the B&T on short or quick trips.  When I am going out all day or so with my brother in law and go through 2 buckets of killies or shiners, I try to get them myself the night before or early in the morning.

TT^

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
What do I buy in order to catch these killies ? I dont even know where to go to catch them either. LOL, cant I just use shiners, or will fluke not hit them ?

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-