Author Topic: Picking a spot?  (Read 23553 times)

Offline shadyvito

Picking a spot?
« on: February 11, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »
Since I'm new to all this I'll probably be asking some basic questions so please be patient.  The few times I've been surf fishing I went to specific spots that I was told.  One time I was walking down the beach and was wondering how to pick a spot on the beach to fish from.  I know to look for birds gathering and for fish "blitzing" in the water, but what about the mornings when you hit the beach and all is quiet?  How do you pick a spot?
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: Picking a spot?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:19:47 PM »
look for cuts in the water or areas where the water is just a little deeper,If you can find structure your even better off.take a walk on the beach on a full moon at low tide you will learn alot about a spot

Offline technologist

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »
Just do a search "reading the beach" you will get tons of info!

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »
Great idea, I found alot of great info.  All the examples that I saw I have seen on the beach but paid them no mind.
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline technologist

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »
Great idea, I found alot of great info.  All the examples that I saw I have seen on the beach but paid them no mind.

Just remember, sometimes the fish will be in the wash, so always fish in close first and gradually
work your way out. 

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 01:34:31 AM »
Hi shadyvito,

Welcome ...

Keep the questions coming.

Learning to read the beach takes a bit of time but once learned, it is invaluable.

I tend to drive the beaches at low tides to see more of the structure.

One thing to consider is that the topology is constantly changing, especially after storms like Noreasters. Visit the beach after a storm to see how it is changed.

I look for shells, especially clam shells, as this is an indication of a clam bed nearby and an easy meal.

As was stated above, throwing into the wash "right at your feet" works more times than most people will want to admit.

Here is a tip that I use when I run out of ideas. Places like Island Beach State Park have fences near the dunes. For one reason or another, folks like to mark there "spot" with a rag or tape. Fish those areas if the water reads OK and you may get lucky.

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »
A lot of times when I fish Island Beach State Park we pick an area we would like to fish and maybe drive a mile or two looking for that nice blue water wich is deeper. Find those deep holes and drop offs and sit it out. I also look how the beach is shaped. You can almost tell where there is a sandbar because the beach goes out almost like a point. Like people have said things change very easily so keep an eye out.
shut

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 11:23:56 AM »

Just remember, sometimes the fish will be in the wash, so always fish in close first and gradually
work your way out. 

I would say 70% or better of the fluke I catch are in the wash..
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 11:31:59 AM »
I'm pretty new to surf fishing myself and I am still learning how to read the beach.. The biggest thing I have found helpful is to be mobil.. walking up and down the beach seems a lot more productive than staying put in one spot..
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 11:38:49 PM »
One day we were fishing on the beach below a private pier that a fishing club owns in Vetnor.  I noticed that the water in front of my cousin had a nice size greenish-blue section in it.  I was pointing to it and telling him to cast into it.  My line of thinking was just that it looked different then the rest of the water that we been seeing.  It was only a guess on my part but four guys on the pier that saw me pointing and yelling started to cast into the spot causing me to think that my line of thinking was good.  After some reading I realized that I must of figured right.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 01:29:41 AM »
First thing you do if you have the time and opportunity is scout out the area you want to fish at dead low water..........you can see the sand bars, cuts, structure.........then take it from there ;D

Good Luck

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 01:44:51 AM »
I agree with flukedood. Try and move around. I usually look for structures at low tide, look to see where the waves are breaking, look to make sure your not casting on a sand bar. Ive done that a few times  :). Look for the birds working an area.
The man, The myth, THE LEGEND

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 08:32:42 PM »
Moving around is only good if your fishing lures usually. Usually you will see guys drive every open spot between bait fisherman, make about 10-20 casts and if they are not getting any bites they move on and repeat this. If your bait fishing you wait for the fish to come to you but unless you absoultaly hate your spot, or you could be on a sandbar, I wouldnt move your spot.
shut

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »
Well I went out to Longport yesterday and hit a Jetty and along the beach next to it.  I got skunked.  I didn't expect to catch anything but wanted to try and "read" the beach and practice casting.  It was windy with it coming from behind me wich was killing my backcast.  I tried a marabou seducer, clouser, and a sand eel.  I did move around a bit and tossed in a bunch of spots.  I can't wait till spring.

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 05:49:46 PM »
shadyvito, once the weather breaks and the Bass get here. Try walking back in along those sod banks behind Long Port. You can park along Long Port Blvd. and walk along the edges of the channels. Look for any wash outs and throw your fly along there. Same thing on the other side of Long Port Blvd back closer to Somers Point. There are some wash outs that will hold fish around them.

In the fall the Long Port rocks where I think you tried on this last trip will get crowded sometimes. If you go over the bridge to Ocean City on the north end of the island there are a few jetty's that will hold fish when the tide is up around them. A buddy of mine is a Fly guy and will fish them and has had luck. They don't get the number of people on them and there is a few to choose from. Have fun.

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 11:01:46 PM »
Thanks, I love this site!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-