Author Topic: Penn Captiva CV8000  (Read 9819 times)

Offline shkbilly

Penn Captiva CV8000
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
Just picked one of these bad mama jamas up at the local pawn near my dad's house. We had a bare pole just beggin for a reel and the price was right. I got home to read some less than stellar reviews via internet. Pfishingruven on here despises his CV2000 as I could tell from 2 seperate reports. Did I buy a lemon? It seemes like a nice reel at the time, and I didn't spend much. Its on a 7' Penn Power Stick and will be a backup setup for stripers and deepwater fluke.

Anyone wanna give me their 2 cents?
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Penn Captiva CV8000
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »
Yea.. they call them Craptiva's  but at a good price use it t^  you can never have too many set up's t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »
Despite my hatred for the reel, I wouldn't pass it up at a good price!  Especially if you are using it on an extra setup and not as a primary reel.

I bought my captiva for freshwater after being told it was a decent reel.  It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't high end expensive either.  However, for the money it doesn't perform very well and it has not lasted like I wanted it to.  Not only that, but it was on my wife's rod and she is newer to fishing, so when it get's caught up and the bail doesn't release, it becomes my problem because my wife takes mine while I fix her mess = less fishing time for me!

Craptiva is right and I would never buy one new again!  However, if there was a used one for an extra setup at a unpassable price, I wouldn't pass it up!

Just make sure you maintenance it real well and often...more than you would a regular reel and you shouldn't have nay problems.

Good Luck!

TT^
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:18:00 PM by Pfishingruven »

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »
Thanks guys. This is the 8000, so its the biggest in the (I'll adapt to the term as well) Craptiva line. I paid $50 and it works perfectly (for now) and is in great shape. Its spooled with 275yds of what appears to be 20lbish mono that I'll leave on for the season. It looks to be in good shape.
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »
I don't sell the 8000, but I do sell the slighty smaller Captivas (mostly on combos).  I haven't fished with one, but fwiw we haven't had too many returned due to breakage.   t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-