Author Topic: sinker molds and puring lead  (Read 12016 times)

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
sinker molds and puring lead
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:57:21 PM »
have some old cast iron production sinker molds and would like some ideas,suggestions and thoughts on the best way to do some lead pore outback.Thanks AJ.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: sinker molds and puring lead
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »
I use the Lee Magnum Melter from Do-It molds.  Works great.
http://www.do-itmolds.com/productlist.aspx?c=188

I also buy molds made by Do-It Molds from Barlow's

http://www.barlowstackle.com/lead-molds.html

Plug in the Lee melter, put some lead in, wait about ten to fifteen minutes till the lead melts, ladle the molten lead into a mold, remove formed sinker from mold, let cool and your done.

Do in a WELL ventilated area, preferably outside on a decent day.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Re: sinker molds and pouring
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:27:37 PM »
my plan is to pour outside in yard.Do I have to pre heat the molds and what is best way? On these Do It and Palmer molds how do ya heep the molds closed tight before you pour? any ideas out there ? Thanks

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:33:25 PM »
Do-It recommends AGAINST pre-heating the molds.  Claims they will warp.

Do-It molds have wooden handles.  They don't get hot when you pour.  Just hold the handles shut and pour molten lead into the cavity.  The weights come out perfect.  No trimming, no punching/drilling out hole in top.

I don't know of any other molds that pour as well as Do-It molds.

Others use propane tanks hooked up to stove to heat a melting pot with lead in it.  I use the electric melter that I posted previously.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:34:08 PM »
Irish Ayes, thanks for the two sites, will check em out. AJ

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:43:19 PM »
AJ, I personally feel that you can not beat the Do-It molds.  They pour work great. No trimming the edges at all.   t^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 11:47:49 PM »
I have the propane and the the melting pot with the old time laddle.I'll search for a bigger laddle.The Do It molds do have wooden handles, but the others do not.Maybe a Welders clamp will do the trick.
will see what other suggestions come in about this melting and pouring.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 11:26:14 PM »
does the lead being used have to be cleaned up in any cleaners as they are tire balance and plumbers lead pieces.Are they ok to use? Also,do ya line the molds on the  inside with any kind of flux or whatever?I remember helping do this with my Pops long long ago when I was a young kid. Too bad I did not pay attention( as always).Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks AJ.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:32:54 PM »
I just put the lead in the hopper.  Melt it and skim any thing that's floating on the top.  I also use wheel weights and lead I get from plumbers.

I don't put anything in the mold but the molten lead.

Offline rossg

POURING LEAD
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
I NEED 50-100 4 OUNCE ULTRA MINNOW JIGS(A DOIT MOLD)
ANY OF YOU RETIRED GUYS INTERESTED IN POURING THESE FOR ME.
SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE AND WE CAN TALK
JUST DONT HAVE THE TIME

ROSS
THE LADY J
BELMAR

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
PM sent.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 12:00:32 PM »
Good Luck... t^
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline sealife

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 03:44:02 PM »
I used to use some palmer molds and drilled a couple of holes in the handles and bolted some wood to them so I could hold them.   They still produced sinkers and jigs with a lot of flashing around them.  I now have all do it molds which are terrific.  I do not preheat them but the first couple of pours do not fill all the way so I remelt them.  Once the mold is hot you can pour away and every one is perfect.  Keep the hinge oiled and wear safety glasses or a face shield as you work.  Sometimes the lead will splatter when you add new lead to the pot especially if it is dirty. Always work outdoors in a well ventilated area.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 04:34:15 PM »
Irish Ayes and
Sea Life   
            the wood on the molds makes good sence as does skimming of the junk on top.Its going to definately be an outdoor project with safety glasses,gloves (and a cold beer).Maybe I will start a small fire on the xtra grill do some dogs or brots.(my neighbors will definately think I am nuts which could be a good thing). Thanks, AJ 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »
You should have no problem pouring your own sinkers AJ.  Not hard to do at all.  Once you start, you will never buy sinkers again.  As I have said before and Captain Dave backed me up on, Do It molds are the way to go.

Good luck.   t^

Offline PenMaker

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »
I realize this is an old thread but wanted to add a few comments.
Lead pouring is not difficult.
the main concerns is that no mater what way you go about it the lead is hot, it can and will splatter, and it is toxic. so wear protective clothing and eyewear (gloves and glasses will usually do)and keep your fingers out of your mouth.
any way you can get the lead hot enough to melt will work. I have melted lead on a hot plate for years, and simply dipped it with even a small ladle for very small sinkers.
prepping the mold. first oil the hinges and keep them that way. mold are supposed to be precision and the hinge is what keeps them that way. do not pre heat the mold from the outside surfaces. but you can get better lead flow by blackening the inner surface with a candle flame. just hold the mold cavities above a candle flam so that you see the black soot cover the surface. leave this in the cavity for the first few pours. it will have vanished or so you think. it is actually carbon that has now gotten into the metal of your mold. sort of gives it a teflon coating. I have found this only needs to be done once.
As for heating the mold. get it hot the way it was made to be heated. from the inside. do this by simply pouring your first batches and then dumping the incomplete castings back into your melting pot. As the mold warms up it will make finer and finer details in the casting. keep working and do not let the mold cool down. just pour until you run out of lead there is plenty of time for clean up later. letting the mold cool will result in a set back in complete castings. I pour very tiny lures ans sinkers at tiny as 1/64 oz. they are far more trouble than the larger sinkers. basically tiny amounts of lead will harden much faster than a pour that has lots of mass.
Finally the mass of the pour (size of the sinker or lure) and the mass of the mold both make a difference in how well your lead stays molten and is able to flow in to the mold completely. more mass mans the lead stays liquid longer. I see lots of molds that have the spaces between the cavities hollowed out. this means less mass in the mold. less mass means less heat is kept and lead will cool down faster. this is a bad thing and can even make pouring fine detail impossible. think about the little teeth that need to be formed in a split shot sinker. they are pretty useless with out them.
OH and if you want really clean looking sinkers and lures. stick with DO-IT Molds. if all you want is lead in the general shape you are looking for. any mold will do. I have a palmer type mold that the two halves do not match up. It makes a trolling sinker that looks like it is splitting in half down the middle. it does not effect it's preformance but is also not an item I am proud to tells others that I made.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-