Author Topic: Rigging Bucktail Teasers  (Read 20386 times)

Offline Drew806

Rigging Bucktail Teasers
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:44:12 PM »
How do you tie in a teaser? With a dropper loop and a snap?

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Rigging Bucktail Teasers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:34:35 PM »
You can tie a dropper loop 10-18", your choice, above the end of your setup and tie it on with your favorite fishing knot.  I use a uni knot to the dropper loop.  I would stay away from the quick snaps because the demons will go for the hardware, even when they are black in color.  It still reflects enough light for them to hit it.  If you use a leader, you can tie it to the barrel swivel between your main line and your leader, if you are using a shorter leader.  I will occassionally tie the teasers on the swivel with a uni and get it just long enough so it is ahead of my lure.  Works just as well as tying a dropper loop and is much quicker and easier when making quick changes!

Good luck.

TT^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »
Up until this year, I used a small snap at the end of a dropper loop. I liked the use of the snap for 2 reasons:1-it made for changing teasers (color, size, style) much, much easier and 2-It also made it a lot easier to free up the net if/when the teaser became entangled in it as all you had to do was open the snap and the net was back in use to net the next fish.

Oh & I very rarely had a bluefish bite the snap. Although on the rare occasion a big fluke has opened the snap.

However, I found that for whatever reason (laziness) that 99% of the time I used whatever teaser I started the day with and not changing it (unless of course due to a break off). Now what I do is tie a 3-4" dropper loop but before I attach the teaser, I'll cut one 'leg' of the dropper loop. This will leave me with a 6-8" single piece of leader material coming off my main leader. I'll tie on the teaser using a Homer-Rhode loop knot. The loop knot gives the teaser more action.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:00:42 PM »
I tie a barrel swivel into a small dropper loop  leaving one side of the leader longer than the other. Put the main lure, hook, jig or whatever on the long end, the teaser on the short end and use the swivel to tie to you main line.

This rig is great for bucktailing fluke, jigging stripres and throwing lures at blitzing schoolie stripers.

I aways have a bunch pre-tied with various hardware. I used to use a small snap for the teaser until something big straightend it out one day.

Another advantage is that it doesn't tangle much because of the nature of how the dropper loop makes the line sit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:02:41 PM by bassnblues »

Offline LT

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »
I've had difficulty tying the dropper loop; when I pull it tight, it slips more times than not. Obviously doing something wrong.  However, will a triple surgeons loop achieve same thing when tying the teaser on?  Thanks

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »
I use a threeway t style swivel.bucktail on the bottom and teaser on top. Its easy to tie, switch, and helps keep you tangle free
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:18 AM »
  I just tie a palamar knot to a barrel swivel leaving 1 long end for the bucktail and a short end for the teaser
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »
  I just tie a palamar knot to a barrel swivel leaving 1 long end for the bucktail and a short end for the teaser

i do the same
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
I've had difficulty tying the dropper loop; when I pull it tight, it slips more times than not. Obviously doing something wrong.  However, will a triple surgeons loop achieve same thing when tying the teaser on?  Thanks

I hold the loop part in my teeth and pull up while pulling the ends out.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »
A search of True Tuna hooks came up with Mustads $27, per hundred, was one of many that came up in the search window.  slt

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-