Author Topic: Pilot - Flukin 7/13  (Read 3389 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot - Flukin 7/13
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:01:10 PM »
Flyin solo today.  Left a text for my buddy last evening but he didn't get back until late last night from moving his son into the city to start a career with Goldman Sachs.  so.... at the dock bright and early.  Last week, I thought there were peanutz in the area and was determined to find out.  Low tide at 6:30 or so made for good spotting and cast net conditions.  Those same flashes of silver like you see at Bruce concert at MSG were everywhere this AM in the shallows.  Threw the net a couple of times.  The first toss was a joke.   nosmly Hate to say it but I was rusty as all get out.   By the third fling, I actually had what looked like a donut.  Perhaps a deformed crispy creme but things started to shape up.  Pulling the net, there were a bunch of spearing and a handful of the perfect size snaps. >:D.  Headed out the shrews to AH marina to see if there were any of the nutz around.  If they were, I could not find them.  Fished the backend of the ammo pier in skinny water.  A clammer was out in the area raking up the mud.  Fished a couple of drifts in 7-12 ft and caught 3 very short fish.  Decided this wasn't for me and slid over to the Knoll.  Fish got bigger but still short.  Sizeable fleet was working the area.  Headed to the southern candle stick and drifted back with the incoming.  More fish.... but this time a doggie and three robins.  I figured I was going to get hosed for the day.  Continued to stay in the short water and the action picked up with size improving but still no keeps.  About an hour 1/2 before the tide figured I'd give the SH channel a try in the deeper water.  Heavy spro's 6OZ with the gulp teaser with live or not so alive spearing or snapper and it was game on for the next 2 hrs.  The drifts were real fast.  I had major league scope on braid but the fish were there.  Each drift (reproduced about 15 times) delivered a bite and a minimum two fish.  And they were getting chunky.  chrz  Since I was solo, I was trying to keep good tally on count to keep entertained.  My first keep came on fish 13.  I kept telling myself that I should call it quits at around 12:00 but I was having too much damn fun.  The bite was very predictable and the fish were very clean and icy cold.  Suspect a fresh batch coming in from the outside.   So here I am, the lone ranger.  The Calcutta is being thumbed while the she's in free spool.  Scope is way the heck out there and then BAM!  The St Croix doubles over and I get the tell tale triple shake.  I'm thinking this a good fish.  I'm playing through my mind the process of getting the net, keeping the tip up, pressure on the fish, keep it in the water..... Now, I've got this down like a school kid learning multiplication tables.... I've cranked this thing 1/3 to the boat and yup you got it... It busts my snap off and the fish and my fav 6OZ spro makes a visit to Poseidan.   5hrug That just frosts the hell at of you.  Have no idea how big is was but I can assure you it was my biggest of the season. Not hard to do when you're catchin mostly shorts rofla  At any rate... finished at 1:00 when the bite died
Code: [Select]
.  Thirty three fluke, one doggie, six Lionel Ritchies (sea robins).   Four in the box.... wishin I had someone to fish with today.   Out tomorrow with my Brother Shay Shay and my niece the Trash Talker trying to duplicate.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Pilot - Flukin 7/13
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:07:59 PM »
Nice catch Pilot,  I will be out tommorrow too. Good luck,  Sometimes a cap full of fabric softener in a bucket of water will take the stiffness out of the throw net., chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:12:28 PM »
Jeff, You recapture the entire day fishing so detailed and eloquently.Nice Job on the  your day fishing.That "big boy" is still out for YOUR  taking next trip. t^

Offline Tbone

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »
HELLO Pilot, sounds like you TRULEY, found your ENLESS LOVE, at least I CALL IT LOVE.  SAIL ON Pilot and be carefull when you are DANCING ON THE CEILING after that tremendous fluke trip. I know you really wanted to fish ALL NIGHT LONG but you have children at home consisting of THREE TIMES A LADY! ;D  Later.  T-Bone

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
You know we just love them Lionel Ritchies ;D  Did'nt know you were such the officianado.
We need to get a trip soon.

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
Mmm... Krispy Kreme  :P

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
Nice report Pilot.

Now I got dem songs floatin round in me brain...  rgmn rgmn Thanks TBone.  ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:40:17 PM »
Nice trip Jeff.  Great Report t^

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:46:03 PM »
Well writen report pilot, great read..  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »
Great report and nice job solo.  Good luck tomorrow.  Get the one that got away!

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:09 PM »
 t^

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
awesome report pilot,great read,enjoyed all of it  t^
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Spearfish

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 09:33:56 AM »
Good report and fish.  Way to search them out.  I think some fish moved in after the South wind chilled things down the beach last week.  Just a thought.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »
Great report and a nice day  TT^ Thanks for a fine read  chrz

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
man I been trying the SH channel all season gots nada.

maybe have to try again real soon.....

good job on the keeps

and notso keeps

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »
 t^ Thanks for the report.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-