Author Topic: Pilot - Flukin Day II - 7/14  (Read 2574 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot - Flukin Day II - 7/14
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »
On the way home yesterday, I was giving my brother Shay Shay the low down on my solo adventure.  He was so stoked, he decided to ask his boss for tuesday off.  I really didn't think he was going to pull it off since he just got back last week from a 10 day Hawaii vacation.  He calls and says his in and my niece the Fishin Trash Talker would be joining us.  At 5:00 he's in the driveway and we off to the highlands to make bait.  The cast net is out and back to the honey hole for some of those tasty spearing and snaps! We spent a good portion of an hour collecting enough bait to supply the Fulton Fish Market.  Chumly (aka Shay Shay) comes up with a clever technique that made fuller nets with subsequent throws.  With a couple of spearing... he crumbles them up and chums for the snaps..  I've got the net cocked in position and he's counting down like Dick Clark (in the old days of course) at Times Square.  Donuts are flyin this AM.  Nets are coming back loaded.  A could portion of the spearing make it through the netting that is intended for bunker but we make do picking through those that get gilled and others that fall to the dock. ;)  Liv made an excellent baithand filling buckets with water, then fish, then running to the boat to load the live well and just being an excited 12 yr old out with her dad and unc.  It was great to see. ;D

We broke water close to 7:45 content that we had what we need for a good days outing.  Tried the channel and short water around the bug light and managed two shorties.  We didn't waste much time here and gave serious consideration to running down to the SH Reef but my gut check said are you out of your mind.  Beeline to yesterday's marks and I'll be darned if the Bingo card I drew on the C80 didn't start producing on the first drift.  The topper was that the Trash Talker boxed the first keep of the day.  A nice suprise 15" CB.  Now I'm getting the feeling this going to be a good day.  Well... here it goes... she hooks up again and again with some fluke, Chumly begins to cross some eyes dragging the silver candy on a traditional hunk of lead with a chartruese spinner rig.  I'm getting my share of fish too working the 6OZ Spro teased with a gulp and snapper.  The drifts were remarkable similar to yesterday.  Had to make adjustments throughout the day as wind shifted almost 180 degrees. 

The day is progressing nicely.. we had fish on every drift and the bite continued through the tide changes.  We boxed a couple more nice fish to 3.5 lbs and another cbass.  Around 2:00-2:30 the wind started honking real good almost replicating the conditions of yesterday.  Chumly says he's loosing touch with the bottom.  So I told to get a grip rofla Our lines seemed like they were stretched from Staten Island to Keyport. We continued to thumb the Calcuttas catching bottom every 15-20 yds and then I get hammered.  Now I have no clue how big this fish was but I knew it was a heavier one.   Cranking, cranking and more cranking felt like I was trying to turn over an old model T that hasn't run in a half a century.  Net is out, pole is arched and this husky is taking line on me with the routine head thumps as he trying to shake the hook.  Not massive but a decent fish surfaces... makes it over the rail. Whew... tapes at 23.5 weighed 4 11.   For the day we had none stop catching....  Six fluke made it the ice chest and two cbass.  For the day 44 fluke several a hair under, 8 Lionel Ritchies, no doggies!   Liv put the smack down on dad boxing two keep fluke and one CB, Chumly managed a nice 19.5 "er and I filled out the balance.

Here's a couple of pics.  My camera has seen enough salt to the point where the shutter has to be opened manually.  Some of the pics were taken with the eyelid shut so what I thought I had to share ain't there! rgmn  Time for a new one.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Pilot - Flukin Day II - 7/14
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
Nice report and catch. Great pics too.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:28:05 PM »
Very enjoyable report.  Great pics too!  Love your crew shirts! t^

One question.  Why do you call a sea robin Lionel Ritchie?  Am I missing something here? 5hrug

Offline Spearfish

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:27:16 AM »
Nice job Capt.  Enjoyed the report.

Offline Tbone

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:07:30 AM »
Another banner day for the Z'Obsession.  Plenty of fluke action for all.  Great report & pics.  T-Bone

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »

One question.  Why do you call a sea robin Lionel Ritchie?  Am I missing something here? 5hrug

Bob, you know how these things materialize guys just being guys.... story goes like this, out with my brother-in-law Witches Bru several years ago fishing barnegat bay.  Long day, a few beers, catchin nothing but robins.  He catches a big one, holds it up stares at it and says, "you son-of-a-B, you look just like Lionel Ritchie"  we laughed for a good 15 mins.   chrz a lot of sun, and a few suds...so it stuck since then. I guess you had to be there.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:38:16 AM »

Bob, you know how these things materialize guys just being guys.... story goes like this, out with my brother-in-law Witches Bru several years ago fishing barnegat bay.  Long day, a few beers, catchin nothing but robins.  He catches a big one, holds it up stares at it and says, "you son-of-a-B, you look just like Lionel Ritchie"  we laughed for a good 15 mins.   chrz a lot of sun, and a few suds...so it stuck since then. I guess you had to be there.

;D t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
Nice story Pilot. I wanted to know also, but was afraid to ask.  ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 09:03:39 AM »
Awesome report and pics pilot  TT^ And a great day!. the smiles tell the tale  chrz

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »
Nice report, looks like the crew had a good day. I like the shirts too. Thanks for the pics t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
Nice report, looks like the crew had a good day. I like the shirts too. Thanks for the pics t^

Eddie,

I nearly peed myself.  You beat me to it.  I was just getting ready to do a LR search.  That's great!

Offline shayshay

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »
What a great day out on the water brother. I'm sure it that my daughter "Fishin Trash Talker" will remember yesterday for years to come. Thanks again for having us aboard "Z'Obsession" for a great day of non-stop fishing..... t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »
Ha Ha t^ 

Eddie,

I nearly peed myself.  You beat me to it.  I was just getting ready to do a LR search.  That's great!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:06:15 AM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 01:21:59 PM »
"Truely" funny story.Glad some one (Thanks, Bucktail Bob) asked that question.   t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »
Great report and great catch!  A great day on the water with your brother and niece.  The shirts are a nice.

TT^

Offline johnesniper

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »
 t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-