Author Topic: Fishing at Point Pleasant/Manasquan Inlet...  (Read 27585 times)

Offline Jersey Ray

• Full Member of the Den
Fishing at Point Pleasant/Manasquan Inlet...
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:40:38 PM »
Hi,  I`m heading down to Point Pleasant for the First Week of August and I am going to try my luck at fishing the Inlet and Surf while I`m here for the week... Any Info. would be Greatly Appreciated on what my Best Lure Option would be and which Location for it,also what types of Fish are being caght off the shore line... I have Various Lures,Jigs,Poles Etc.,Etc...  Thanks in Advance for and Help/Info.! J.R.
Never Argue with an Idiot,cause he`ll just drag you down to his level and beat ya with experience!:)  Give a man a fish and he eats for the day,show a man where to fish,and he and all his buddies will be there tomorrow...:(  Look me up on ArcheryTalk.com if you are an Archer also!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fishing at Point Pleasant/Manasquan Inlet...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »
The Inlet is always good for a bunch of different species.  Fluking should be decent in there and you always have your smaller sea bass at the wall.  For fluke, you can bucktail tipped with gulp or drag bait...squid, killies, gulp, etc.  Be prepared to get snagged and caught on the rocky bottom in there.  For the sea bass, you can use squid, clam, or worms...even small chunks of bunker will catch some fish.  You also can get the normal blues and occassional stripers through there.  Your best bet for lures is to keep some Hopkins, AVA's, swimming Xrap Rapala's or equal and some type of popper or top water lures.

For the surf, August is very slow going.  Again, you will have some fluke in there, blues and stripers.  Hopkins and silver for the blues, bucktails and gulp for the fluke and your normal striper lures will work, but bait may be your best go to.  Clams or bunker will do the job.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

TT^

Offline Jersey Ray

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:07:13 PM »
Thanks for the Info. thus far!  t^  And whadda ya mean Rod,you don`t know when,where and how?  ??? J/K!  hhppy J.R.
Never Argue with an Idiot,cause he`ll just drag you down to his level and beat ya with experience!:)  Give a man a fish and he eats for the day,show a man where to fish,and he and all his buddies will be there tomorrow...:(  Look me up on ArcheryTalk.com if you are an Archer also!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:13:44 AM »
Yea. I was saying I read somewhere they were catching fluke on the PP side..  t^  But that's' all I know  ;D

Great post Pf.. t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
It's a good place to fish because it has easy access, however, it is not the easiest to fish and not the most productive.

If you are going to fluke fish, move down towards the bend by the Memorial.  The bottom where the River meets the Inlet is much sandier and seems to hold more fish and more quality fish.  Less likely to get snagged as well, although, there is a sunken cable or something in there right near where the metal wall starts and the wooden boardwalk ends.  That end is in shambles though right now, so be careful.  They have been doing "CONSTRUCTION" since they knocked the building down and had some flooding damage so some of the area is roped off.

The key to dragging bait and fishing in the Inlet is to find people on both sides of you who know how to fish with the current.  You want to cast 45 degrees up current and work it until you are just in front of the person to the other side of you.  If you have people on either side who know how to fish the Inlet, you will not have any problems.  However, when you get a weekend warrior next to you, they will inadvertantly tangle into you.  You have to play around with the weight too.  You can usually play around and tweak it just right so you get snagged much less.  Sometimes, I leave everything in the car and observe a little before I start fishing.  I will walk around and ask what size weight everyone is using before I start to fish.  If that person is getting snagged alot, I will aim for something lighter or vice versa.  The time you spend observing, saves you the time having to retie and switching tackle.

If you are looking for some sea bass and the occassional blackfish, stick to the wall and closer to the rocks.  You don't have to cast out too far.  The sea bass seem to hold just a few feet off the wall.

As for other species...they will move through there.  Always have a shot at a school of blues moving in or out.  The stripers may or may not be there.

If you are game, give the PP Canal a shot.  A little harder access and harder to fish, but it can be more productive than the Inlet for blues and bass.  August will also bring a good showing of tog in there.

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline dreamsfloatjoe

• Bait Cutter
  • Bait Cutter
    • Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
grtn   Enjoy Point Pleasant and good fishing Jersey Ray!   t^  Please let us know how you did, with photos.  Ask "Wassup, y'all?" at the local bait shop.

I fish better with a lit cigarette; some people fish better with talent.
   rofla

Manasquan Inlet 

DreamsFloat Joe - Mate
M/V Ye Ole Pirate, Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina, Amelia Island, Florida  32034  USA

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »
Great pic DFJ!

TT^

Offline Jersey Ray

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:37:25 PM »
It's a good place to fish because it has easy access, however, it is not the easiest to fish and not the most productive.

If you are going to fluke fish, move down towards the bend by the Memorial.  The bottom where the River meets the Inlet is much sandier and seems to hold more fish and more quality fish.  Less likely to get snagged as well, although, there is a sunken cable or something in there right near where the metal wall starts and the wooden boardwalk ends.  That end is in shambles though right now, so be careful.  They have been doing "CONSTRUCTION" since they knocked the building down and had some flooding damage so some of the area is roped off.

The key to dragging bait and fishing in the Inlet is to find people on both sides of you who know how to fish with the current.  You want to cast 45 degrees up current and work it until you are just in front of the person to the other side of you.  If you have people on either side who know how to fish the Inlet, you will not have any problems.  However, when you get a weekend warrior next to you, they will inadvertantly tangle into you.  You have to play around with the weight too.  You can usually play around and tweak it just right so you get snagged much less.  Sometimes, I leave everything in the car and observe a little before I start fishing.  I will walk around and ask what size weight everyone is using before I start to fish.  If that person is getting snagged alot, I will aim for something lighter or vice versa.  The time you spend observing, saves you the time having to retie and switching tackle.

If you are looking for some sea bass and the occassional blackfish, stick to the wall and closer to the rocks.  You don't have to cast out too far.  The sea bass seem to hold just a few feet off the wall.

As for other species...they will move through there.  Always have a shot at a school of blues moving in or out.  The stripers may or may not be there.

If you are game, give the PP Canal a shot.  A little harder access and harder to fish, but it can be more productive than the Inlet for blues and bass.  August will also bring a good showing of tog in there.

Good Luck!

TT^

Thanks for the Detailed Info PF! t^ chrz I Never Fished the Inlet or the River so when you say move Closer to the Memorial for Fluke being the bottom is more Sandy where the River meets the Inlet,where is this Memorial Located at?  I have been checking out Aerial Photos of the Inlet and where it meets the Ocean,what would be my Lure of Choice over near the Mouth of the Inlet where it meets the Ocean? I have some 2oz. Sand Eel Imitation Lures similar to a Diamond Jig but with a Bucktail and a Sand Eel Design and Various Plugs and 1 to 4 Oz.Jigs along with Numerous Size Crippled Herrings and Similar Casting Lures...I am more of a Lure Fisherman than a Live Bait kinda guy,especially in my Freshwater Bass Endeavors which is how I mostly fish near me in Middlesex/Monmouth County ... Thanks, Ray  Oh,and that Pic DFJ is Surely a One of a Kind and Looks Freakin Cool as Heck!  cfzd  I`m just Glad I was Not on the Water at that point in time...;)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »
The Memorial is closer to the River side or west end of the Inlet.  When you get there, you can't miss it.  From the PPB side if you are facing the Inlet, you will want to go to the left.

All of the lures you mentioned are worth trying.  It is tough to get to the mouth or out to the Ocean on the jetty, but you can do it.  I have found the Rapala Xrap color Ghost Glass to be very productive, also Mambo Minnows or any similar lures.  Fin-S or equivalent with and without jig heads work well too.  Only problem is the blues will tear them to shreds.

You really have to see if you can see what bait is in the area and try and match it.  If not, trial and error.

You can lure fish for fluke as well.  Bucktail tipped with Gulp 4" swimming mullet work well.

TT^

Offline Jersey Ray

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »
The Memorial is closer to the River side or west end of the Inlet.  When you get there, you can't miss it.  From the PPB side if you are facing the Inlet, you will want to go to the left.

All of the lures you mentioned are worth trying.  It is tough to get to the mouth or out to the Ocean on the jetty, but you can do it.  I have found the Rapala Xrap color Ghost Glass to be very productive, also Mambo Minnows or any similar lures.  Fin-S or equivalent with and without jig heads work well too.  Only problem is the blues will tear them to shreds.

You really have to see if you can see what bait is in the area and try and match it.  If not, trial and error.

You can lure fish for fluke as well.  Bucktail tipped with Gulp 4" swimming mullet work well.

TT^
                                            Cool,Thanks Again and I`m ready to try a catch something!  t^ You know the ~ol saying,A Bad Day of Fishing is Still Better than a Good Day at Work! LOL!  ;D  Plus I am thinking of hoping on the Norma K on Monday and the Cock Robin on Wed.  TT^  I`ll just make sure the Wifey has enough $$ to keep her and the little one Happy until I return from my voyage... hhppy One more question if you don`t mind,Any Good Night Fishing around there? Any Bridges or anything to key in on at Night... Thanks Again Pf! J.R.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
I don't know of any specific night fishing areas there in the summer.  Although, any where in the Inlet, River, Canal and Bay you can target weakfish.  You might want to head into Bayhead and work the street ends that open up into the Barnegat Bay or over to the Canal.  Zoom Flukes in Bubblegum with or without jig head is your best bet.  Anything pink will work. 

In the fall and winter the Manasquan Jetty out into the ocean produces some nice stripers.  I do fish the rocks primarily at night and you can try the Canal if the water isn't racing through there.  I know up River in the Spring and Fall you can target stripers around the docks and bridge pilings.

At least if you don't have success on the shore, you have the two head boats to catch 'em up.

When you are at the Inlet stop by the Gates B&T and the other one right there...those guys will have the most up to date info.

Enjoy!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »
There is the Mantalokin bridge pier.  The night fishing should be enjoyable there at night this time of year.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Jersey Ray

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »
Thanks Again Fellas!  t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-