Author Topic: what to expect week of Aug 10  (Read 1816 times)

Offline coeng

what to expect week of Aug 10
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »
I will be in Wildwood entire week of Aug 10 and want to try surf fishing for the first time. I have absolutely no idea what to expect considering I'm a freshwater trout fly guy. We'll be staying a block off the beach by 14th Street and I need to fish in the general vicinity because I'll be there with my young kids.

I need to know the following:

1) cheap rod/reel combo purchase
2) what I can expect to catch this time of year
3) best times to fish
4) terminal tackle
5) bait

I kind of need to figure out #1 first so I can order a rod/reel (prob from Cabelas) so I can get it in time for the trip. The tackle/bait I can always pick up at local shops.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: what to expect week of Aug 10
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:57:56 PM »
I don't fish in Wildwood, but in mid August you might have a decent shot at fluke, croakers or kingfish from the surf.

As far as an inexpensive combo, I would say head over to your local Dick's Sporting Goods.  We have a Shakespeare Alpha rod and reel combo that's perfect for the vacationing or occasional angler.  Only $29.99 with a full spool of line included! t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:41:53 AM »
Surf fishing in August can be more on the slower side.  However, it is certainly worth a shot.  I only now the general area of Wildwood and not specifics on the beach there.  You should be able to fish anywhere along there, except during bathing hours.  They may even have a designated area you can fish at any time.  The Wildwood website doesn't have any information on this, so, you will want to check with the beach patrol or the visitors center.

As for areas to fish, the beach is always changing.  One place one day, could be completely different the next.  The one thing I do know about Wildwood is the beach is very wide and it is a long distance from the roadway and boardwalk.  Also, take a look at the post Reading the Sand.  It will give you a good idea of what to look for and where to fish.  Remember, most importantly, BE CAREFUL!  The surf can be rough and when trying to cast or trying to bring in a fish, the waves can catch you off guard.  It only takes a split second to get hurt.  The rip currents have been very strong this summer and today was the worst I have seen them this year.  There really isn't any better time to fish this time of year.  Dawn and dusk are usually better, but middle of the day fish are caught all the time.  Hi and low tides are always debatable and more opinions.  One tide can be better than another in different locations.  The best time to fish is whenever you can.

I agree with Bucktail, on the setup.  I wouldn't go spending more than you have to on something you are just trying out.  If you were to try and piece a combo together, a rod and reel would run you over $125 at minimum.  I don't see anything under $100 either on the Cabela's site.  Too bad B&T's haven't started renting surf equipment out.  I think they could make a lot of money that way 5hrug?

You can usually count on bluefish and fluke this time of year.  Stripers are out there too along with kingfish and even weakfish.  Then you have your skates and rays, sea robins and sharks as well. 

You can use fish finder rigs, hi-lo rigs, bluefish rigs and fluke rigs that you can purchase from the B&T's.  You could also search our forum for each of these and tie them yourself, if you wanted to do that.  Bunker chunks, clams, worms, and squid will all work for bait.  You might want to grab a Hopkin's Lure or some type of silver just in case a school of blues come through and you see birds working.  Also a bucktail lure tipped with gulp 4" swimming mullet, squid or even killies/peanuts will work for fluking.  You want to work the lure as if you were jigging, as best you can from the shore.  You will have to use trial and error and see what pattern the fish are biting on.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation.  Remember, the joy of surf fishing, is fishing and not catching!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »
All good stuff P-Man...If you are going to target fluke they will be right in the wash so casting out a mile is not needed.  So the long pole is not needed either.  Just something that will handle a jig with a teaser up about 10 to 18" or so above the jig or bucktail will work great.  The nice thing about this type of outfit is that you can walk the beach and have fun with the family. 

Enjoy... t^

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-