Author Topic: LOTS OF FLUKE, I THINK I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WRONG  (Read 1380 times)

Offline bigmills

LOTS OF FLUKE, I THINK I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WRONG
« on: August 04, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
In the last 3 outings in the Manasquan we boated nearly 150 Fluke with only 2 keepers. All caught caught on Gulp mostly white 4" minnow. The rig I use is a bucktail with gulp with a loop tied above and a 2/0 bait hook rigged with the gulp minnow. Most caught on the top hook (90%). I am limited by the fact that I have a 16' aluminum  boat and my young daughter is usually with me so I am cautious about running out the inlet. This week I put together a rig with 2oz shrimp head a 4/0 bucktail teaser tied with white hair and a 6" white gulp grub all together 9" long. I hope I can get some bigger fish to bite. I will probably try the north end of the bay as well. The place I get a lot of my jig heads has the same setup on e-bay i just prefer to make it myself. Stuarts Stalkers Tackle Co. has tons of cool jigs on E-BAY  5hrug

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: LOTS OF FLUKE, I THINK I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WRONG
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »
your not doing anything wrong, you just aren't in the spot where bigger fish lie.  If you look at the reports, shorts are in abundance all over, including in the ocean.  What I would do if I am NOT in the ocean is, single hook with a stinger, squid strip with a LARGE killie, or LARGE smelt. The larger bait should help you get larger fish, but keep in mind, the large fish has to be in the spot your fishing if your going to catch them.  Remember, your limitations is what is preventing you from going out the inlet.  Have fun with what your catching with in your boundaries.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:43:10 AM »
try experimenting with a cast net or killie pot if you havent.  You will catch bigger bait than you could buy in a bait shop.  Try using the search function to find some more threads related to catching bait.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline bigmills

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »
I do use a seine and a cast net. In Bay Head I like silver lake it is loaded with bait. My favorite bait is live snappers and your right the bait shops suck for killies I got a pint of killies at RL in Point last week and the biggest was 1.5" I dumped them in the river. That's what I get for not looking. If the weather is good I am going out tomorrow to the Axel Carlson reef. I grew up on the Manasquan river (70s 80s) fishing for fluke and I think there are more fish now than then but we used to keep a lot smaller fish. Thanks for your input

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-