Author Topic: trailer lights  (Read 9413 times)

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
trailer lights
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:46:21 PM »
just wondering how often others replace there trailer lights,not those that slip and dip twice a year.one of my tailights was out even though I still had directionals and brake lights.took it off to check and bulb holder rusted and corroded,replaced this unit last year,replaced again today.I dip the trailer quite a few times a year and bury it because it's a bunk trailer and float it off.just wondering 5hrug    Kez
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Re: trailer lights
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »
Dennis. I come out of the water whenever necessary to do work and maintenance.Its a  23ft.so its reasonable smooth.I go through bulps like a school girl goes through boy friends. rofla
I always disconnect the plug while going  in and out of the water.  5hrug

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:53:08 PM »
AJ I didn't mean the bulbs I meant whole light unit itself was corroded and I always unplug when dippping. Kez
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »
Dennis, I switched the lights on the boat that I trailer to led. You don't have to unplug them and it's nice to see the rear of the trailer in the dark. A little more money, but you don't have to mess with them. Also brighter on the road for other people to see.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:25:34 PM »
i had a trailer that saw a lot of dunkin also ate up lights. even the water resistant ones. finally i rigged up a hanging mount for each side. pull up, untie boat, remove and unplug lights and launch.

just don't forget to hang it back on after retrieving.

saw some guys mount the lights up hi on pvc pipe that would prolly work too and also gives you guides for retrieving the boat if the trailer is submerged at the ramp

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
That is just how my little boat's trailer lights are Warren. PVC pipe for guides and the lights are mounted on them. The lights never hit the water no matter how far you back the trailer in.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:28:31 AM »
Dennis- I would switch to LED's. You do trailer all the time.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline crazyivan96

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
I went thru lights like crazy, at least 1 set a year.  I even tried LED lights from Cabelas but they corroded.  This July, after my second set this year, I mounted plastic license plate holders to my transom and mount the light set to them while trailering.  I ran the trailer light wires thru a garden hose to protect them.  I remove the lights before I splash.

If you do mount the lights to some kind of non metal surface, you'll have to run grounding wires back down to the trailer from each light.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »
Dennis Check Habor Freight for their price on LED's if you plan on switching over  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline squanlocal

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »
Dennis Check Habor Freight for their price on LED's if you plan on switching over  t^

But if LEDs break, seems like it'd cost a lot to replace...

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
As mentioned, A pair of LED's up on some pvc guide bars are probably one of the best ways. They never hit the water and the vibration from the guide bars flexing won't affect them. I have a bunch of trailers for moving boats around and one day will set them all up this way. Right now I buy the cheapest lights and disassemble them right out of the package and coat them with grease and Corrosion X. Also unplug them before launch. Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 10:04:14 AM »
have seen that setup on a trailer at the ramp,missed a trip yesterday because of my lights,hooked up thursday evening and in checking lights one of my clearance lights out,checking ground,lost all lights,except left side directional and brake light.was getting dark so had to wait till morning.ended up finding fuse blown for running lights,made a mistake and checked wrong fuse at first and also right side light completely corroded inside,replaced fuse, a new light right side and a new clearance light.been dipping in since first of April and put in more than a couple times a week,so not doing to bad,only thing is had a problem causing me to miss the last day of the fluke season. nosmly    Kez

ClarkChristensen

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 02:10:11 AM »
just wondering how often others replace there trailer led light,not those that slip and dip twice a year.one of my tailights was out even though I still had directionals and brake lights.took it off to check and bulb holder rusted and corroded,replaced this unit last year,replaced again today.I dip the trailer quite a few times a year and bury it because it's a bunk trailer and float it off.just wondering 5hrug    Kez

hello friend even I wonder when I have to replace these lights after every six months.. I asked an expert to check them and there was no problem but still I need to replace them.. Any solution
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:25:01 AM by ClarkChristensen »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »
Solution is replace your lights with LED lights t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
 whs

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
Yes, LED's. The only way to go.

God Bless Your Soul Kez! You've got to be looking down on us to resurrect this thread.  t^ 
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline FinItalia

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 09:16:59 AM »
Dont't waste your money on LED's for about $250.oo you can get a PVC high mounted light kit that has a galvanized steel insert that mounts to the trailer.  They will pay for themselves.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
Dont't waste your money on LED's for about $250.oo you can get a PVC high mounted light kit that has a galvanized steel insert that mounts to the trailer.  They will pay for themselves.

or make one yourself if you are handy for less than $50   spend the $200 on gas and bait slt

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-