Author Topic: 8-9 Sea Girt Reef Fluking  (Read 1181 times)

Offline djtdmd

• Vessel "SCORPIO"
8-9 Sea Girt Reef Fluking
« on: August 09, 2009, 11:23:20 PM »
Had a short window to fish today, broke inlet at 1:30, started working the northern portion. Lots of small seas bass, one legal fluke. Moved to the southern tip, tug boat wreck. Saw these guys from my dock, they were pulling in doormats while I did nada. Was using 6os. white spro tipped with gulp swimming mullet, other line was 3 way rig with 8oz. weight and bucktail tipped with squid and spearing and gulp. I worked the same drifts as these guys for 3 drifts, no fish felt stupid, had to come back in around 3:30. Saw the guys on my dock that got all the fluke and asked them their secret. Guy showed me a 2 hook rig he made (stinger about 6 inches apart) that he uses to put on a whole squid. 2 cirle hooks, very simple rig, 3 way but with a 6-8 inch leader from the 3 way to hold the weight- he said this is to keep the drifting bait well above the bottom so the fluke see it when they look up. Made a lot of scence to me, he had terrific results on the same drifts, I struck out- not even a bite. Any of you guys have any terminal tackle/ bait selection and presentation helping hints, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: 8-9 Sea Girt Reef Fluking
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:32:48 PM »
Nice try.  Great Info t^

Offline w2f4

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »
Thanks for reporting.
Great following up to get info on that hot rig.
What was the leader length between the 3-way swivel and the double hook?

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »
Good try! 

Here are my 2 cents...experiment with weight and bait.  May take several drifts to find out what is hot and what is not.  Instead of 3 different baits on one hook, try 1 at a time.  You may need to shorten or lengthen the leader.  Fluke are predatory fish and are looking for a live meal.  You want your bait to look as lively as it can and fool them into biting it.  Try some live bait.  Peanuts, spot or snappers will all work.  Bucktail has a great assist hook setup on his bucktails...Buktail's bucktails.  Also, try tying on a teaser.  As Capt Bob said earlier in the season, keep your lures and bait moving.  What type of line are you using?  Mono or braid?

TT^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »
Dj Those stinger hooks can make a big differnece in your catch ratio t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-