Author Topic: Surf Fishing Sandy Hook Help Needed  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Virginia Yankee

Surf Fishing Sandy Hook Help Needed
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
I know this is off the subject slightly , but I live in Va. and will be in Sandy Hook on the 15th of August and want to fish the surf . What can I expect and what rigs and baits should I be prepared to use .

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Surf Fishing Sandy Hook Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
I don't fish Sandy Hook regularly, but I do surf fish down in Ocean County.  I am sure someone else who fishes around there will chime in soon.

I would target fluke and bluefish.  For fluke you can put bait out on a fluke rig with a pyramid sinker.  Squid, spearing, killies and bunker will all work.  You can also use a bucktail tipped with any of the above or gulp.  I would tie on a teaser as well tipped with bait or gulp.  For bluefish, chunked bunker will do the trick on a bluefish rig or a fish finder rig.  I would keep some metal lures:  Hopkins, Croc spoons, AVA's and some topwater poppers readily available in case a school goes by.

You can also target kingfish and croakers, but that might just be a waste of your time...unless you have a couple of setups available.  Worms, clam or squid on hi-lo rigs work real well.  I haven't heard too much talk of kingfish or croakers this year so and I am not positive if they see them up in the surf there at SH.

Either way have a great time and make sure you get to the beach very early or wait until later because the weekends have been full to capacity!

Good luck and enjoy!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-