Author Topic: Officers Hook Summer Flounder Violators  (Read 14737 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Officers Hook Summer Flounder Violators
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 09:41:11 AM »
Eddie, I think the captain and crews responsibility falls into knowing and advising the customer of the rules. No way should they be directed to enforce them.

They do not have the ways or means to do so. Imagine a belligerent 6'5", 250# guy breaking the rules. Can the state expect a 5'7", 150# deckhand to force a guy like that to abide by the rules? That would be impractical and dangerous.

The CAPTAIN AND CREW should abide by the rules themselves and not encourage the violations of them.

Sounds good Joe. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »
Used to fish that boat in the past and yeah seen them do that, they arent the only ones that do it, havent fished with them in about 2 years for that reason....

as for the fish in peoples coolers the mates job is to put out the measuring boards and advise people of the regs, it is not their job to check every cooler,

Offline mgm

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 08:06:46 AM »
Taking the boat away?  I know it's your opinion, but I think you're going way over the top.  How about we take your car away if you go over the speed limit, or if you're not wearing your seat belt, or if you run your car at the gas pump?  Get real people!

I've fished in Canadian provinces where the Canadian CO's have the power to impound a boat for fisheries violations....if you don't think its fair, don't go to Canada and get caught with over limit or undersized fish!  Compliance is very high.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
having worked as a deck hand on a few party boats, i will say this....2 deck hands to 50 or 60 people on a Saturday is very hard to manage...you cant see who is doing what at all times....it was our policy to advise patrons of the regulations and monitor what we could. Where we used our power was at the filet table by measuring each fish as we cut...if it was illegal the customer was given the option...discard it or back in their cooler whole and they take the chance and pay the consequence....it is not the mates job to enforce....thats what the C.O.'S ARE PAID TO DO.
But dont get me wrong....i go by the old rule....at sea, the captains word is law....and on my boat, if i say that fish goes back, it goes back....like it or not. i think the captain should be held more liable than the mates....they work for him and obviously, he didnt lay down the law
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline dreamsfloatjoe

• Bait Cutter
  • Bait Cutter
    • Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 07:06:28 AM »
... as for the fish in peoples coolers the mates job is to put out the measuring boards and advise people of the regs, it is not their job to check every cooler,
   grtn  On Ye Ole Pirate (not a head boat), it is the Mate's responsibility to check every fish in every cooler for any 'illegal' fish before heading in!  'Stuff' happens in the heat of battle.  The Captain and the Mate cannot see every fish being put in a cooler.  However, the Captain is held accountable and he is responsible.  Captain Steve does not want the illegal fish nor the fine.  Not an holier than though post, just say'n.  I assure you, I do not desire to pay any fine, especially one as a direct result of some one else's action.

"Book 'em Dan O!"   rofla

DreamsFloat Joe - Mate
M/V Ye Ole Pirate, Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina, Amelia Island, Florida  32034  USA

Offline Gaff It

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 04:27:33 PM »
I am not in favor of breaking the law.  I understand there are penalties for doing so.  Having said that, why so hard on recreational fishermen and not commercial fishermen?  Take a look at the filets inside the supermarket.  Most seem to be taken from fish that are 12-14 inches.   

A few years back I was fishing from the beach in Beach Haven NJ.  I had 9 flounder in less than an hour.  All were short by 1/2 to 1 inch.  Most were just under.  A gentleman walked by and said, "I've been watching you.  Seems fish are short only by an inch or two.  You throw them back.  Why not keep a few.  I won't say anything."  I just laughed.  Still 'till this day, not sure who he was (and really don't care).  Bottom line, don't break the law and you won't get caught. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:34:54 PM by Gaff It »

Offline Capt. Joe G

• Sponsor
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
The Captain of this boat brother is a major player in SSFFF .. No Good

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »
The Captain of this boat brother is a major player in SSFFF .. No Good

This from less than 24 hours after this story was released:

"As a result of allegations originating from the Enforcement Office of the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund (SSFFF) has asked for, and received, Capt. Chris Hueth's resignation from the Board of Directors of SSFFF.

SSFFF is a new, non-profit organization made up of Party and Charter boat owners, Tackle and Bait Store Owners, Tackle Distributors, Bait Wholesalers, Fishermen, and others whose livelihoods are dependent on a healthy and vibrant recreational fishing industry.   All of these business owners, professionals and recreational fishermen realize the importance of an equitable and scientifically accurate management strategy for Summer Flounder."

As to the "brother", Greg works in Human resources in Manhattan and has no ties to party or charterboat fishing whatsoever. He neither owns, operates or works on any boat nor does he have any job or financial ties to the fishing industry whatsoever. Last time I checked you can choose your friends but you cannot choose your family.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 08:48:30 PM by CaptTB »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 08:59:27 PM »
Sad really...  It's a shame a lot have been brought to this..

Fishing my last day yesterday.. in Barnegat inlet with about 70 boats.. you could see them coming over the rails and 80% of the time not going back.. 5hrug

It's life..  Rules are made and people will break them.  I don't think it makes them bad people.. Just bad rule followers ;D

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »
 whs 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-