Author Topic: Crabbing Question  (Read 85251 times)

Offline surfrocket

Re: Crabbing Question
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 10:43:18 PM »
this post is funny i cant believe i havent checked it out sooner.the only thing i want in stockings is some hott chick,and if she mentions clams or crabs in there,  im out of there.lol   i am actually taking my daughter and my x crabbing tomorow after work, i will give the report. we are going to my favorite bridge, i'll do some fishing too. let you guys know how it works out.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 11:30:39 PM »
I will stop at the two docks in Seaside and find out for you guys.  Dock Sider Outfitters and Seabreeze boats.  Both should be pretty good right about now.  If you are looking to rent a boat both places have them as well.

Plus you have a number of small piers in Seaside Park that I believe are accessible at night for crabbing at no cost.

Here is a hint if you are going to use bunker as bait and are going to pay a B&T shop ask for the crabbing bunker, it is cheaper.  Right now the going rate for fresh bunker around here is $2.00 a bunker.  That could get expensive quick.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 07:02:13 AM »
I hit the south pier by Dock Outfitters Tuesday morning on incoming tide for just under 2 hours.  Had a little over 1/2 dozen keepers and 20-30 shorts with 2 traps on bunker.  Others seemed to be getting similar results.  Even with the number of shorts, the keepers were good size (5 1/2 - 6 inch).

Dock Outfitters get $1 for crabbing bunker, but if you're gonna cut it up, be careful, it's frozen solid as a rock. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »
Did you ask if they could cut it up for you?  I know Seabreez boats at the North pier will hack it in pieces for you just ask.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »
I was just thinking that it would be nice to take the wife crabbing, but realized that you
have to have a boat operators licence to rent
a boat with an outboard! Right?
-Mr Limpett
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »
If I remember correctly, the boat rental has to give 'safety instructions' to the renter. No safety cert is needed.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 11:57:37 PM »
Paul,

Where did the rumor ever come from that spotlighting crabs is/was illegal?  Just curious...I have always known that it is not illegal, but I have heard people tell me you are not allowed to crab that way??

5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 12:02:33 AM »
I don't know but as kids we used to do it all the time.  5hrug

If someone can show me the ruling then we all will know.  Its just like driving barefoot some say it is illegal but my college buddy is a First Sgt on the NJSP and he says there is no law that says you can't

Myth or Fact?  SHOW ME...  grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »
YEAH!!  I think it is a MYTH.  I actually search all of the NJ FGW laws and didn't come up with anything.  My father always told me it was a myth also...I am a night person, so I might just give it a try in the near future. 

Love eating those crustaceans!!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2008, 12:17:23 AM »
I have to agree.  Here is the PDF of the only law written for crabs:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/non-comm_crabpot_regs.pdf

Nothing in there states anything about no lights.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline bayonne

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2008, 08:13:39 AM »
Sounds reasonable, I'm going to have to give it a try . Blueclaws do make good Striped Bass bait. Just cut one in half and put the hook in one leg socket and out of another . They use them alot in the Virgina Surf, but not many people in Jersey want to part with a few from their meal.

ive used calico crabs befor and have caught stripers on them

Offline TRSteve71

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 11:18:08 PM »
Going to have to grab my big mag lite and the new cages and go crabbin! Can taste em now..

Offline Kodiak814

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009, 11:27:06 PM »
Man, load of posts on this wonderful ART....I grew up vacationing in Lavallette and as time wore on, I invested in a 12 foot boat with 10 horse engine, my father, being the engineer he was saw an opportunity there, we used to buy bunker, buy traps and then crab...or....buy spearing and fish from the piers.  With the boat, we invested in a 20 foot seine net, we would boat out to the various beachy islands in Barnegat Bay there, seine in the morn for an hour or so and gather about a 20 gallon bucket filled with spearing, killies and various other bait fish wandering through that day.  We would then proceed to the Mantoloking Bridge duringa nice tide change, chum sparingly the spearing and catch snappers till our hearts content(There was no limit in those days and 50 to 100 was normal 2 to 3 hours catch), then we would proceed anywhere we thought looked "crabby", drop lines with 2 or 3 snappers strung on and slits in there bods and catch crabs till all bait was gone!  Only money spent, GAS!!  Not a bad deal...but alas, boat sits hidden in weeds in Sussex County with more bees nests in the seats then ever they saw butts.  LOL  Some day get my kids to do it that way, VERY NATURAL!  Except the gas use of course!

Offline hook

• Full Member of the Den
  • Go Fish
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 09:54:49 AM »
Good technique, my Grandfather used it for  keeping the bait on better as well as slowing down the chum process not for tangling the crab up. It also helps the killies from tearing up the bait
Good Luck
Hook slt

Offline JollyJoJo

• Full Member of the Den
  • Its me, JJ!
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
Capt Ed very well said, ym bf did somethnig simlar to this very recently, and I am stunned that he was silly enough to allow himself to do it!
I know when you're out on the boat or on the'rock' you dont neceserily think your hands need washing every 5 minutes but the collection of germs and bacteria combined with the the rest of money handling/sweat etc and long time away from it all made him very ill. Thankfully salmonella wasnt the case but it was very nasty and he ahs learnt ever since bless him..
We think fish actually works better anyway!
If a great wave shall fall and fall upon us all,
 Then between the sand and stone,
 Could you make it on your own ?

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
Hay guys try this one on for size.  Don't like the heat of the day or getting sunburn?  Go night crabbing with a flashlight or portable spot light.  The crabs like to come to the surface at night and will follow your beam of light right to the dock all you have to do is scoop them into your awaiting net.

I have been doing this for years on the docks off Seaside Park since the late 50's.

I do this as well, though one time a guy from f&g told me it was poaching and illegal, he didnt write me up but since then have been wondering if I am breaking the law :headscra:
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »
 5hrug Just a thought and a fact do commercial or recreational crabbers remove all the traps at sun down NO  nosmly Do they retrieve them at Night  :-* YES. Scalping has been done eons in Nj and elsewhere, And by far not against the Law. When I was kid Catching Soft shell crabs on the Flats of Barnagate  Bay at Sea Side N ST and Beyound at low tide was at "Night"  t^ was the way to go with a Bushel basket in a Inner tube a dip net and a flash light, Plus throw in a dozen Eels or more and life was good. and so was the extra Money. Bill

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »
 smk  What do you care your a Cheater anyway   t^

JUST KIDDING BILL  slt
Night crabing is one of things I really miss--Just anchor up with some friends and in a few hours your good to go--A few Q-BEAMS shinning in the water and some box traps BS-n --no hot sun and miss the traffic on the way home.

Offline HookedupND14

• Sponsor
  • Full Member of the Den
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
yes ive heard the stocking method ,  never used it but we usually drop commercial traps ,  its starting to slow down now but 2 weeks ago they were out and hungry,  i think the full moon will be one of our last attempts

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »
Last weekend I got only a dozen jumbos.. Last year at this time, this is what I caught.

Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-