Author Topic: Reel Class Fluke Wednesday 8/26  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
Reel Class Fluke Wednesday 8/26
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had Bill Stabile, Brian "IBS" McCutcheon, Bryan Turci and his buddy Glenn aboard for a FTYP trip today.

Had every intention of running all the way up the beach, but once we made our way out of the inlet we were greeted by a stiff SSW breeze that was pushing 15 steady, so we stayed closer to home, and still got beat up a bit in 3-5's.

Pretty much started out a few miles to the NE, and got into some OK action to start off with some shorts, a couple of keepers, and some seabass adding to the catch. After roughly the third drift, that entire area dried up so we made a shift to the east, and Brian got a beautiful 6# fish on his homemade bucktail and bucktailing stick - but that was it with the exception of some 7-8# bluefish smashing our rigs on the way up.

We then ran a bit south, caught a couple more shorts, and then ran back to roughly where we started and picked away, albeit very slowly, a bit more. Brian added another 5.5# fish to his credit, and Bryan T added a frisky albie that was about 8# on his bucktail, working it on the bottom - definitely a first seeing an albie take a jig right off the bottom. By 2PM, the WSW was screaming a steady 20 

At that point, the bite would be best described as a painfully slow pick, so we ran inshore and finished up in the river just to get some action and bend rods and subsequently added a bunch of shorts on some lighter tackle.

Fishing outside today was simply horrible, we had ~25 fish, only 4 keepers to 6#, plus about a bunch seabass (Bryan T nailed a nice 2#) with only 3 keepers, 3 racer bluefish, and the 1 albacore. In the river, we boated another 25 or so shorts with zero keepers.

Overall a very slow day, but we had a great time and "IBS" had us rolling all day especially with his "retreat" into the cabin of death 

Oh, and another thing - NOAA, windguru, Buoyweather, and every other forecast completely all had one thing in common today (for once): THEY ALL BLEW THE FORECAST horribly! LOL

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Reel Class Fluke Wednesday 8/26
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:39:49 PM »
Nice report Capt Allen. It was tuff today with the wind.  :P Another fine job by NOAA.  nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:43:39 PM »
Nice job!

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:49:10 PM »
Nice report.  I can relate to the albie story.  Many years ago I caught my first bonito "accidentally" while reeling my bucktail back to the boat while out fluking.  ;D

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:11:09 AM »
 t^

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:12:47 AM »
Nice work!  TT^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:43:50 AM »
Nice report.  I can relate to the albie story.  Many years ago I caught my first bonito "accidentally" while reeling my bucktail back to the boat while out fluking.  ;D

We've caught albies, bonito, and spanish mackerel reeling in the rigs off the bottom several times but that albie Bryan caught was hooked ON THE BOTTOM.  He was working his bucktail right on the piece, and then suddenly, the drag starts peeling, the fish came up, and it was an albie. 

I've been fishing the shore for over 25 years - and I have NEVER seen an albie take a bait from the bottom!!

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »

We've caught albies, bonito, and spanish mackerel reeling in the rigs off the bottom several times but that albie Bryan caught was hooked ON THE BOTTOM.  He was working his bucktail right on the piece, and then suddenly, the drag starts peeling, the fish came up, and it was an albie. 

I've been fishing the shore for over 25 years - and I have NEVER seen an albie take a bait from the bottom!!

OK.  Gotcha.  Very cool! t^

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:42:40 AM »
Nice job in tough conditions Capt!  chrz

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »
nice catch.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-