Author Topic: Barn Bay Report 9/7/09  (Read 3230 times)

Offline FinItalia

Barn Bay Report 9/7/09
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:24:53 PM »
Today we decided to try something different and launch our boat at Ricks Marina.  With me was FinItalia 1 and Milkcrate Joe.  Target species were weakfish.  Headed for the powerplant area as per advice from local tackle shop.  No weaks found but caught a bunch of small seabass and blowfish( the latter I haven't caught in 50 years or since I was 10. Lotta fun and another great day on the water.

I have a question on cleaning the blowfish.  My dad used to use a board with a nail sticking out and a pair of pliers to pull the skin off but thats all I remember.  Do any of you folks out there have a more detailed way to harvast the meat from them.  I do remember that they are great eating. 5hrug

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Re: Barn Bay Report 9/7/09
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:54:44 PM »
Wow blowfish!
Caught one about 10 years ago. and none since or about 20 years before that.

Nice
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
Somebody said they are coming back because the water is cleaner.  5hrug    ::)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:04:08 PM »
Nice report FI. t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »
Nice report...

If you are looking for stripers and can get into the flats by the sedge islands or the edge of the channel on the sedge side of the inlet.  A buddy of mine caught 3 stripers there last evening just before dark.  He fished for about 1 1/2 hours using top water plugs and nailed them.

If the rain holds up tomorrow we will be out there after dinner for a couple of hours.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »
Nice!   TT^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:58:10 PM »
Nice catch!

Here is a very quick video on "cleaning" them!

Cleaning Blowfish

Using the rake makes it easy.  Basically, it takes place of your fingers.  I always cleaned them on a board with a nail too.  We would nail the head to the board, make the cut behind the prominent bone in their head, straight down like they did in the video.  Then where he put the rake in, use both your fingers and pull.  Should come out and look like meat in the video.

I can't ever get a straight answer out of ANYONE, including scientists and marine biologists, but the northern puffer could be slightly toxic like others in that species.  The toxins could be in the skin, liver and intestines...so make sure you get all the skin off and don't try and gut them.  No use finding out if they are toxic by not cleaning them properly.

Enjoy!

TT^

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 04:17:12 PM »
 A nice pair of short steel tongs work great for cleaning blowfish. They look like small ice tongs only made of steel. I still see them at yard sales now and again. The blowfish bite should  only get better right through Sept. Some of the local sharpies have been  putting up triple digit catches  every season. A good chum slick can make for a great catch.I think the biggest blowfish(soccerball size) show in the spring but they don't seem to bite that well. The commercal crabbers  get loads of them in thier pots for a week or two but the flounder fisherman only catch a handful.The fall fish are not as big in general but are still good size and just as tasty. There are plenty of areas of hard bottom that will hold good numbers but I like the to fish the mussel beds.Good beds can be found along OC and DC  and many areas along the ICW. I like to go to the fish rather than having the fish find me. No or slow action in 10 minutes its time to move.There are plenty of fish to catch, we just have to find them. Next time you are in that area looking for weaks it may help to do a little searching.Weakfish have a very hard time hiding from most fishfinders.In 10 feet of water they stick out like a sore thumb. A nice slow idle can locate a school worth setting up on. It wont make them bite but it puts the baits right in the ball park. Good luck and catch plenty. A nice fat puffer always seems to put smile on everybodys face ;D

Offline FinItalia

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  This is the reason that this site is number one chrz.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-