Author Topic: Melvins Creek and Matawan Creek  (Read 12097 times)

Offline TRSteve71

Melvins Creek and Matawan Creek
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »
Mods feel free to move this if its misplaced.

Not much of a report just had some questions.

As some of you know I live in Toms River but work in Union county NJ area. I drive the dreaded GSP all damn day long and plus on the way home and the way to work. ON pass over 2 creeks or marshy wetlands I have always wondered about and I figured I would ask here. On the map they are called "melvins creek and Matawan creek" Not sure if those are the common names or not. I drive over them all the time, sometimes they are full and sometimes they are empty due to the tides.

Question is, has anyone ever fished them? Crabbed or clammed in them? Just curious...

thanks
Steve

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
Re: Melvins Creek and Matawan Creek
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:16:11 PM »
I don't know much about them, but the Matawan Creek is where some of the shark attacks took place that inspired Jaws.  Tough to imagine it by looking at that stretch of the creek by the GSP.

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »
I do see people crabbing back there every now and again. Other than that 5hrug
Z

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »
Keyport harbor leads into Matawan creek. My marina along with several others are located at the mouth of the creek. A damn was built on Ravine drive to form lake Lefferts. So it is a tidle creek and you will catch plenty of crabs and people of caught Bluefish,Fluke,Weakfish,and all the typical species. And yes, Its the location of the 1914 shark attacks that inspired the movie Jaws. The other creek you see,Just to the north is what we usually call Morgan creek. Thats a longer creek and boats go up in it to fish or just hang out. Several marinas are up their too. Most people set up crab traps in this area. I have kayaked it a few times and the current can get strong at times. You can access it them both From rt.35.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-