Author Topic: 9-13 Spring Lake Trolling  (Read 977 times)

Offline djtdmd

• Vessel "SCORPIO"
9-13 Spring Lake Trolling
« on: September 13, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »
Broke the Manasquan inlet at around 2pm, what a beautiful day out there- flat seas, just a 10. Trolled 2 Mann 25 stretch's for a couple of hours, circled up the Shark River and back. No takers, but fishfinder showed alot of stuff, not sure what it was, but no takers. It was a pleasure to have such a nice day after all the crappy weather for the past 2 weeks. I have a question- on your fishfinders, approx how fast can you be going till you get accurate/ legible readings? I have a Northstar 6000i, and have had lots of issues with it. I'd like to hear any feedback from some of you guys!. Thanks

Offline w2f4

• Full Member of the Den
Re: 9-13 Spring Lake Trolling
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks for reporting. With fluke season closed, and all the lousy weather recently, good to hear something was marked and so worth getting out to give it a shot.

The fish finder question - are you asking slowest possible speed? The furuno 620 on my boat marks well at all speeds, using a P66 TM xducer.
Pic below was in neutral or moving at slow idle. About the only thing that causes an issue is turbulent water in tight areas, like at the RR bridge when the current is ripping, display results in a multi colored snow storm.
Although you mentioned dissatisfaction with the 6000i unit, perhaps it's a xducer issue.  What is your xducer config? on what type of boat setup? Is it possible at neutral/very slow speed exhaust gases are flowing near the xducer?
Surprised to hear problems with the Northstar, had the impression the true Northstar product line (Not previous Navman) was high quality  - What other issues did you have with the 6000i?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:09:07 AM by w2f4 »

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:19:18 AM »
Hey DJ , Sounds like we should have been fishing out of the same boat yesterday. I trolled metal and then Shadbodies, with weight and without, from Shark River to the Red Church not even a knock down. I to had a lot of marks. I have a low budget FF
"Raytheon L365" and yes it stops marking when I get up to a certain speed, I never really took notice to what speed I lose it, but have no problem at trolling speeds. One of these days when I am done with tuition payments I will be upgrading to a big boy toy  TT^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline djtdmd

• Vessel "SCORPIO"
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »
Hey, w2f4- I have twin counter-rotating outboards, and my transducer was factory mounted at Boston Whaler. It is a transom mount navman that goes with my unit. It's funny how you mention problems near the RR bridge, because I always lose signal there. I don't get snow or interference, I actually get large gaps in any bottom readings whatsoever. The GPS part works great, although my first 6000i had to be replaced under warranty as the GPS would lose signal. In the ocean, more than 10-15 mph and I start getting crappy bottom readings.I hear of guys on their way to a spot and they pass some fish, so they stop there. Unless I was going like 5-10mph, I could never do that. Also, my pixels will get real large like cubes at times. Very frustrating. I have already changed the transducer, brain, and the cables. It may be the actul unit which would suck as I will be without it for a few months while Northstar fixes it.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-