Author Topic: Getting Dressed  (Read 2344 times)

Offline acustic66

• Full Member of the Den
Getting Dressed
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »
Greetings Fellow Fisherman,

Thanks for the welcome. OK..here is one that has been on my brain.

Fall fishing is coming and I will plan to brave the elements thru Dec.

How to dress?

I have a set of Hodgeman Waders. They are the light breathable kind with stocking foot. I purchased a pair of wading boots cheap on Ebay with felt bottoms. Need to find me a good jacket. And I wear dive gloves.

In lieu of buying a heavier winter wader...Do should I just bundle up under my light waders?

I guess it gets pretty chilly out there even now mid Sept?

So...what to wear and when?

Thanks,

Al

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Getting Dressed
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »
Hi Al,

All my winter gear is by Snowbee.  My waders are not heavy and breathable, plus loose fitting.  I have been comfortable with just a pair of jeans as the wader will stop the wind.  Same with the jacket if it is really cold I will throw on a sweat shirt under the jacket.

I don't like to wear gloves but as it is nasty out there I have a pair of insulated work gloves with a rubberized palm and fingers that works great. 

As far as staying warm I jump into the Expedition.  Another reason to pick a pair of waders that is loose fitting.

I hope this helps.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Getting Dressed
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:54:53 AM »
You can just layer underneath the waders.  The only really heavier or insulated waders are the neoprene...and they are literally 15-20lbs heavier, harder to get on and off, very form fitting ;D, don't breathe at all(you sweat in the winter and when you take them off, you freeze!), it is very hard to move and function in them and are just all around uncomfortable for most people.

I have neoprene waders...I hate them, and I still layer underneath them.  You can also buy wader bibs to wear underneath...pretty neat, easy to get on and off and seem to fit much better with the waders.  Or a pair of thermals with sweatpants or equivalent over top.  I have only worn boot foot waders with lug soles, so I don't have any experience with stocking foot waders and wading boots.  Seems you should be able to get at least a heavier pair of socks on under the stockings? Lastly, I wear a water resistant or waterproof lined jacket over top of the waders.

I won't even break out my waders until October or so...especially since they are so uncomfortable.  However, if I had a nice, light, comfortable pair, they would come out as soon as it was too cold for shorts.  Do over dress, because it is hard to take layers off and you don't want to sweat or it defeats the purpose...BUT don't underdress either or you will be cold and you won't stay out as long.  It all comes down to personal preference and what each person requires to stay warm!

Good luck and be safe!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-