Author Topic: 9-19 Manasquan Trolling  (Read 986 times)

Offline djtdmd

• Vessel "SCORPIO"
9-19 Manasquan Trolling
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »
Trolled north of Manasquan Inlet with Mann Stretch 25 and a stretch 30. Looped up to Spring lake, came across a lone boat on a large bunker school. I saw the guy throwing weighted trebles out and getting bunker, I did not understand what the hell he was doing that for as it is too early for Stripers, and stripers on bunker is usually a springtime thing. I came over to him and asked him and he told me there were large blues there, and no sooner did he bring a bunker to the boat when half of it got bit off by a blue. I  told him politely that he was not going to catch a blue that way, he said he did'nt care. I asked him if he threw metal and he said he tried to no avial. I threw some metal in the school, trolled the Mann's, and came up empty. Very heavy bunker- thick walls. Any ideas as to why no blues were takers? I was told once that when the bunker are thick, and blues or stripers are feeding, there is just too much good live bait around for them to hit a lure. How, then is it possible to catch blues in such a heavy bunker school when the blues are feasting on the bunker? Any help would be appeciated!

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
Re: 9-19 Manasquan Trolling
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »
You can most certainly can catch em that way!

put a Black Nylon type leader to the treble and you can catch em live lining... Lots of times they only eat the bunker when under bunker even blues!

if they bite it in half they usaully will just eat the rest the next time!

Happen all the time when bass fishing...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:36:21 PM by Capt -Jerry P »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:54:43 PM »
Yeah, bunker pods or bait pods anytime of the year are the places to find fish.  The blues were not crashing the bunker in a full out blitz, that's probably why you weren't getting any on metal.  If you snagged the bunker and sent them down or brought them in and livelined them back out...you have a good chance of catching something.  You can even add a stinger hook on the back of the bunker to catch those blues that are ripping the fish in half!

TT^

Offline SharkHart

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:46:12 PM »
Your Strech lures were running too deep you went under them, the metal may have been a bit small and deep too,  id go with a big surface swimmer or pencil or just a bunker head, was probably just a few blues.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-