Author Topic: Sea Bass Closure.  (Read 24545 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Sea Bass Closure.
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
NOAA just announced 180 day closure of recreational black sea bass fishery in federal waters, effective Monday, 10/5.

NOAA announced today the temporary closure of the black sea bass recreational fishery in federal waters north of Cape Hatteras, N.C., for 180 days in response to recent landings data that showed recreational fishermen may catch more than double their annual quota by the end of the year. The closure will commence Monday, October 5, 2009.

Landings data and scientific analyses show recreational fishermen have reached their quota and could exceed their 1.14 million pound harvest limit by as much as 84 to 225 percent if the recreational fishery is not closed.

An independent body of federal and university scientists recently determined that the black sea bass stock has been rebuilt. However, both the scientists and the Science and Statistical Committee of the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council have cautioned against increasing fishing of this stock for several reasons, including the complex and poorly understood reproductive cycle, and limited information on life span and important habitats for this species. The Council recommends catch limits for black sea bass in federal waters.

NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth’s environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages our coastal and marine
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:29:40 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Sea Bass Closure.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
 nosmly

NOAA Press Release

Unreal....love this quote in the article:

NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth’s environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages our coastal and marine resources.

I don't even have a comment for that statement...I am laughing too hard rofla hhppy :'( :-X

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:46:21 PM »
NOAA, the same freakin idiots who give us our wonderful weather forcasts.  >:(

These people have got to go.  nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »
That fn s@cks!!! What about the commercial guys?

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:13:20 PM »
and from my understanding, any charter vessel holding a federal vessel permit must abide by federal laws any where they fish....inside 3 miles included....which is all charter and head boats....i need to confirm this crap rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn rgmn
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:22:03 PM »
That is the way I understand it too Capt Carl.  :P

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 03:23:53 PM »
just spoke to brian hooker of N.O.A.A. SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES....yup, that was correct...any charter vessel cannot fish for sea bass even inside 3 miles if they hold a federal fisheries permit...ie..northeast multispecies permit....he said for further info contact the regional branch in gloucester mass, 978.281.9300
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline GregV

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
nosmly

NOAA Press Release

Unreal....love this quote in the article:

NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth’s environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages our coastal and marine resources.

I don't even have a comment for that statement...I am laughing too hard rofla hhppy :'( :-X

NOAA's quote sounds pretty bizarre and delusional to me. Quite a stretch to consider the surface of the sun as part of the earth's environment. How can they claim to understand all these things and continue to fail miserably at predicting weather and fish stocks?

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
How 'bout them bluefish ::)

5hrug

nosmly rgmn rgmn

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:11:59 PM »
Wait, I'm confused. Its closed in Federal water so I can still catch em up inside 3? Or no?
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
Yes you can.

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »
yes, you can as long as your boat is not a  noaa federal permitted vessel....all charter and head boats are (or should be)so we have to abide by federal laws no matter if we are in or outside of the 3 mile mark. This also means we cannot fish on our own charter boats recreationally (meaning not on a charter but fishing for ourselves)because it is the vessel which holds the permit...not the owner of the vessel(we are just the "vessel operator"). if you are just a recreational fisherman fishing on a vessel which holds no permit, you can fish inside the 3 mile limit and keep the fish.....hope this clears it up for you.
Bottom line....charter and head boats cannot possess sea bass period.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:03:16 PM »
Glad I did not renew my permit...

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 11:16:22 PM »
Capt. Jerry and Capt. Wayne feel free to come on down and fish the 3 mile line...  >:D

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
Jerry and Wayne you guys are welcome to come out with me, I won't even charge ya! ;)

Thanks for the clarification. That really really really sucks for alot of people on here and I feel for them. I hope despite this, they are still able to run a successful business.
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »
Crappy 09 Fluke regs and now they pull this crap on sea bass with their " best available science"...
Not to mention the cost of fuel and now they want to charge us for a salt water fishing licence next year?

Less fish but more regulations, fees and licences

Can't make this sh*t up  nosmly

Offline Capt. Carl

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »
Just wait....my guess is that Makos are next!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 04:02:24 PM »
yes, you can as long as your boat is not a  noaa federal permitted vessel....all charter and head boats are (or should be)so we have to abide by federal laws no matter if we are in or outside of the 3 mile mark. This also means we cannot fish on our own charter boats recreationally (meaning not on a charter but fishing for ourselves)because it is the vessel which holds the permit...not the owner of the vessel(we are just the "vessel operator"). if you are just a recreational fisherman fishing on a vessel which holds no permit, you can fish inside the 3 mile limit and keep the fish.....hope this clears it up for you.
Bottom line....charter and head boats cannot possess sea bass period.

Still trying to figure it all out myself but...

That is not entirely true from what i understand...a lot of charter capts i talked to do not have a federal permit...

If you are a back bay boat why do you need a fedral permit? If you are gonna fish within 3 miles...  Since ya cant for seabass and stripers past 3 miles and dont have to for blackfish no charters boats will have to go more than 3 offshore right?

Why have it?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:09:04 PM by Capt -Jerry P »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
I recently received this email. Does not say if federal permit is mandatory for charter boats.  5hrug

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife is advising recreational anglers that the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) will be closing the recreational black sea bass fishery in federal waters (3 - 200 miles offshore) effective Monday, October 5, 2009, for the next 180 days.

New Jersey State waters (0 - 3 miles offshore) are still open for the recreational harvest of black sea bass with a possession limit of 25 fish and a minimum size limit of 12.5 inches. Also, even though State waters remain open for the black sea bass, party and charter boat operators with a Federal black sea bass permit are prohibited from harvesting black sea bass from both State and Federal waters as of the effective closure date.

Please see the NMFS press release at www.nefsc.noaa.gov/press_release/2009/News/NR0913/index.html on the NMFS website for more information regarding this closure.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-