Author Topic: Knots to braid???  (Read 7841 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Knots to braid???
« on: June 17, 2007, 12:48:03 AM »
OK all you braid aficionados.  I will be going out to IBSP on Fathers Day. 

Happy Fathers Day to all you fathers and grandfathers out there.

I will be for the most part plugging, trying out new saltwater spinner baits by Boone, and throwing some metal.  How comfortable do you guys feel about tying braid directly to your lures.  I do with mono and have no problem except with line spin so I usually tie a swivel in line about 24" above the lure and use mono directly to the lure.  In other words line, swivel, 24" line tied to plug...

Any problem with that set up?  Like I said I am new to braid and the amount of knots worry me.  In this scenario there will be three.

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline lefteye

• Full Member of the Den
Re: Knots to braid???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:09:38 AM »
Tie the swivel to the braid with a palomar knot. That knot works well with braid and is easy to tie. Then run the mono leader to the plug.
Good luck. 
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 07:51:23 AM »
Like Lefteys said.  Palomar knot to attach the braid to a swivel.  Clinch knot the leader to the other side of the swivel.  Clinch knot to a snap at the end of the leader so you can change plugs/lures quickly.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 09:35:03 AM »
Hi Paul,

No issue with what you are trying. I use a good SPRO or equivalent swivel (barrel or coast lock) if I am worried about libe twist.

I use uni knots 99% of the time with braid. They never pull and you can tie them in the daylight or dark in a few seconds.

I tie bucktails and other jigs directly to the braid with no problems as well.

Happy Father's Day to All,

Ed

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 02:42:24 PM »
I use braid/superlines for basically all my fishing and ALWAYS use a mono or fluro leader.

I prefer a long mono leader on conventional gear, basically a shock-leader length which is twice the length of the rod and a few times around the spool.  With spinning gear I tend to use maybe 3' of mono, but have been experimenting with "shock leader" lengths as well with no ill effect.

The connection knots I use vary. Uni to uni is quick and easy to tie, but a bit bulky.  Still can cast with them with little reduction in distance.  The Alberto knot which is a modified Albright with a lock is very strong and compact.  Takes a little practice but can tie them in wind on a heaving boat quickly.

Newest connection knot I've been using and loving is tying a short bimini twist in the braid.  Takes a little practice and trail-n-error, but can now tie them very quickly and easily.  The loop I make is much shorter than offshore applications, maybe about 8-12" long when done.  Once that's in the line, I tie the Yucatan to connect the braid.  This knot is SIMPLE and done in seconds flat.  Strong and compact!!!

To me, swivels for braid/mono connection are a hassle.  You have a knot at each end and then the knot at the end of the mono for whatever you're attaching.  There's also the risk of reeling the swivel into your tip and thru the guides.  I've seen tips come off and rods literally exlode at the tip from people doing that. :o

I'd never tie direct.  The long mono leader gives you alot of benefits.  For one it gives you something to grab in case you have to lift a fish up jetty rocks or into a boat.  Don't try that with straight braid. 

The mono leader also is better with abrasion resistance and gives you a little buffer/shock absorber.  Stealth too especially is you use flurocarbon leader material.

If you fish party boats or crowded spots, it's a million times easier to untangle that mono leader than braid.  Once you have the connection, all you have to do is tie whatever rigs, lures, knots, etc at the end using your standard mono knots. 

When properly tied, the aforementioned knots will hold and break-offs should occur at the far end of the leader.  Of course you have to match up the strength of the braid and leader material.  Generally you want a lighter leader # test than your braid running/main line.  This is the main difference with a true "shock leader" that power casters employ.

All depends on personal preference and what works for you.  No one way is right.  Tie direct, use swivels as connections, or something similar to my methods of madness.

I just figured I'd give the flip side of the coin  t^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline AviD

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 02:47:55 PM »
Nice post gottog!  t^

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 03:06:24 PM »
Nice post gottog!  t^
winds are gonna gust at times and 60 percent chance of t-storms ,I aint running an hour out and getting caught in it

Offline AviD

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 03:09:04 PM »
I hear ya, Friday looks better.
Why did you post that in this thread tho?  ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 10:08:41 PM »
Thanks gottog,

Nice comeback.  I was always resistant to braid till I tried it this summer.  I half spooled 20# momo and the other half added 30# braid.  That s%!t is expensive.  It out casts all my mono rigs by at least 20 to 30 yards.  Not that I need to cast to far I usually fist the surf and it is nice to have that little extra when your plugging.

Thanks All.

Good Catching...

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 10:14:09 PM »
i swear by braid
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 10:38:36 PM »
For next season I will be switching over to all braid.  I think I'm spoiled.  I did not find it hard on my fingers for casting and I do a lot especially when I am plugging, which is good.

Happy Catching...

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-