Author Topic: Saltwater Anglers United To Challenge NOAA/NMFS  (Read 2458 times)

Offline HutchJr

• Sponsor
Saltwater Anglers United To Challenge NOAA/NMFS
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:38:42 AM »
Folks,

Just a reminder, our unfied efforts amongst coastal stakeholders to re-open the black sea bass fishery will be open for the world (and the court) to see in just a couple of days.

Lead fisheries attorneys have been laying out a case to submit before the 30-days window is closed, and we're ahead of schedule with a solid strategy.

Monies totalling $15,500 have been received by and deposited in the RFA Legal Defense Fund - the pledge amount has been made, which will get our challenge filed. 

Please understand, we'll need more donations to fight once the first punches are thrown!

When we have more information that we can let you know about the "challenge" itself, I look forward to sharing with the coalition - today, we still have to keep our powder dry boys.

For those shops, stores, and boats throughout NJ who were waiting for a one-pager to leave behind for fellow saltwater anglers to support the cause, email me at jhutchinson@joinrfa.org and I'll send you a copy (see below).

RFA & ALLIES SUE TO REOPEN SEA BASS FISHERY -
“UNPRECEDENTED” FEDERAL CLOSURE FORCES FISHERMEN INTO LEGAL ACTION

In the midst of the most severe economic crisis since the Great Depression, our federal government has chosen to shut down the recreational fishery for black sea bass for the next six months based on survey data that’s been described as “fatally flawed” by the National Academy of Sciences.

The Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) and our local industry allies from New York to the Carolinas are fighting back against this unprecedented and unwarranted shutdown of the black sea bass fishery by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).  RFA members throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic believe it’s a battle that must be fought, regardless of the outcome and have demanded that RFA take action on their behalf.  What is at stake is nothing less than our very future as recreational anglers, and the future of our recreational fishing industry.

During the first days of the closure, a grassroots effort resulted in a successful pledge drive of support for legal action.  At the same time, a team of qualified fisheries attorneys and industry professionals reviewed NMFS’ federal ruling and pored through pages of legal documentation to develop a proper legal strategy.  Since the federal closure on October 5, tackle shop owners and party/charter captains up and down the East Coast, along with scores of individual anglers and RFA members who’ve had enough of these arbitrary federal decisions, have been making donations to the RFA Legal Defense Fund, established specifically for issues like this. 

It’s time we unite and show the federal government that recreational anglers will not tolerate arbitrary and capricious regulatory actions that inhibit our ability to utilize a healthy resource, thus violating the very laws set forth by the Magnuson Stevens Act.  You too can support the fight by sending a check today made payable to the “RFA Legal Defense Fund” as follows:

RFA Legal Defense Fund
PO Box 3080
New Gretna, NJ  08224

Please be sure to write "Sea Bass" in the memo of the check and make a notation on the outside of the envelope to the same effect.  Your timely response is to the benefit of us all.  The Recreational Fishing Alliance will be dedicating all checks made payable to the RFA Legal Defense Fund directly towards these legal efforts outlined above.  All donations will be tracked individually, from all groups and individual anglers. 

The RFA has also set up a special online account through PayPal in which individual anglers can also make an electronic credit card donation.  Many of the tackle shops and captains who rely on your valued service have pledged up to $500 apiece towards the fight - as an individual angler just trying to make an honest stand in a tough economy, whatever donation you can offer towards the RFA Legal Defense Fund will be much appreciated. 

Visit www.joinrfa.org and look for the DONATE button on the homepage to support the RFA Legal Defense Fund. 

The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation’s saltwater fisheries.

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
Re: Saltwater Anglers United To Challenge NOAA/NMFS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
Jim thanks for keeping everyone informed!!!

email sent!!!

Get onboard guys!!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:10:46 PM »
Thanks for fighting the cause. I have donated and will make another donation. Everyone needs to jump on board to get our rights to fish back.

chrz to all who are fighting for us.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
I just hit the donate button....felt Real good!

I too would like to thank Jim and the RFA for their hard work on our behalf.

As Jerry said " get on board guys"

We can't ignore this any more.....

My fear is that this seabass closure sticks and sets a precedent that will only lead to tougher regulations of more species if not total closures in the future. This may only be the beginning.

let's all get in the game here guys!!!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 10:04:54 PM »
We ALL need to fight this...

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 10:42:55 PM »
 t^

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 04:25:14 AM »
 Donation sent!  chrz

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 08:53:51 AM »
I just donated too.  Its a good thing to join the recreational fishing alliance. They are fighting for all of us and need the support. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
For those shops, stores, and boats throughout NJ who were waiting for a one-pager to leave behind for fellow saltwater anglers to support the cause, email me at jhutchinson@joinrfa.org and I'll send you a copy (see below).

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF FILE OF THE ONE-PAGER!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:13:34 PM by CaptTB »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-