Author Topic: striper with sores?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline beachwalker

striper with sores?
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
I fished Cape May point this morning with clams on caught one 22inch short bass it had some weired looking red sores on the tail section.The fish seemed healthy and swam right off when i released it does anyone know what was on this fish i dont think i would have eaten it if it was a keeper it looked diseased.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Re: striper with sores?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »
I've gotten a couple like that over the years. I'm told that it's harmless but I'd rather just toss it back and keep a "clean" one.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »
Stripers, for some unknown reason have a high susceptibility for mycobacteriosis, which has infected resident fish in Chesapeake Bay beginning in the 1980s. Recent studies, including the recent USGS/NOAA workshop on mycobacteriosis have shown a broad and increasing rate of infection.
Fish with mycobacteriosis develop a bacterial infection that causes inflammation and ugly lesions or sores on their skin; it also causes tissue destruction and formation of scar tissue in one or more organs, especially the kidneys and spleen. The disease has been characterized as a ?wasting disease? because it results in a loss of body mass and causes fish to look emaciated.
It is not known how fish actually become infected. Do they get it from their food, from stress, or from the water? And can they pass it on to others that swim nearby or when in a crowd? Among the possible reasons for the increase in mycobacteriosis (up about 62% from 1998 to 2005) are overpopulation and/or poor water quality combined with insufficient food sources.
The infection is age-dependent and is even found in young-of-the-year fish. Infection rates can be as high as 50% for 3 to 4 year old males and up to 80% for age 6-year fish. Skin lesions are observed more in the fall than in other seasons.
People handling infected fish may develop skin lesions that can be difficult to treat. These fish should not be handled by individuals with cuts or sores on their hands.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:16:47 PM by Capt. Carl »
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:10:39 AM »
Thats what I was gonna say Capt.Carl,, ;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline beachwalker

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »
Thanks Carl i dont have any cuts on my hands but i will keep close attention next time i catch a bass with these sores i will put on my glazier gloves before handling it.

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »
good info Carl,haven't caught any like this but will be more careful,I always have some kind of nicks on my hands when fishing,always seem to be getting stabbed by the dorsal fin.    Kez
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-