Author Topic: Tips for Yamaha owners  (Read 31312 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Tips for Yamaha owners
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:02:02 AM »
 Came across this sight thought it might be helpful to some.
http://www.bogueinletnc.com/yamaha/

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Tips for Yamaha owners
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 07:46:34 AM »
Nice find Frank. Thanks for posting.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 04:42:24 PM »
Great Info !  I have had the pleasure of dealing with Andy Munao Jr. this past week. He is the most honest, straight forward, knowlegeable, & helpful, Yamaha Guru I have EVER come across! Hats off to Andy !!! slt slt   <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 04:57:23 PM »
 clp t^

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
Guys, I am in a lil bit of a bind...I asked someone to help and teach me how to winterize my engine, but sorta bailed on me today. Incase they bail again, I thought I would see if I could do it. I do everything else, sorta and thought it cant be hard since my dad must have done it every year. Or, maybe got it done when he was in a marina, but he wasn't always, and I did have someone do it last year but thought Hey why cant I do it. I have a small engine, 115 2 cycle that I want to winterize. How hard can it be? Im thinking treat the gas in the tank now, and top off hydrylic fluids but Im not sure AT ALL. I found this link and will review it. I also wanted to ask you guys. Thoughts? P.S. I think his paper work is in his bottom dresser draw, Im gonna look there too! 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:35:09 PM by Ms Fish »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »
Typically you need to
1)Run coolant through the motor via earmuffs and the lower unit
2)Either run the carbs dry, or fog the engine
3)disconnect the battery(store inside)
4)Drain and re fill lower unit oil
5)change zincs
6)treat gasoline use extra additive
7)grease joints on engine
8) disconnect fuel lines
9) cover the boat
10)pull the plug (if still in)

Everyone does this there own way but these are the basics t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »
Typically you need to
5)change zincs
8) disconnect fuel lines
9) cover the boat

WOW Al, that sure is more than I knew... thank you!!!! I think I can most certinally do that right? Right??? Uhhh Right??? I say RIGHT! Well.... between the manual, and taking photos of stuff, going to West Marine and so on I bet I can do it! Or, crawl in corner and cry and end up paying someone to do it...  :'(

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »
Its not hard the list may look overwhelming but its not plus this is what I do many of the guys here may add and or omit something i do. the hardest part is the lower unit oil and only because the lower screw is usually a pita to get out
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »
Typically you need to
5)change zincs
8) disconnect fuel lines
9) cover the boat

WOW Al, that sure is more than I knew... thank you!!!! I think I can most certinally do that right? Right??? Uhhh Right??? I say RIGHT! Well.... between the manual, and taking photos of stuff, going to West Marine and so on I bet I can do it! Or, crawl in corner and cry and end up paying someone to do it...  :'(

I'm sure someone you know has the winterizing kit for the coolant.  then a set of small socket wrenches for the battery if you dont have wing nuts on it. when doing the gearcase oil, make sure you have the proper size screwdriver and a hammer just to tap it a little.  should come right off.  I have '86 evinrudes and haven't had a problem since I got a good screwdriver for it. If you have an nuilt-in tank, it helps to run one last time to let the treated fuel slosh around the inside of the tank.  Also, if you don't normally flush the motor, pick up salt-away to dissolve any build-up in the cooling jacket.  boating is fun but maintenance sucks. lol

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
oh yeah very important when refilling the lower unit oil fill from the bottom hole untill the fluid comes out the top hole. fcp only way to phrase that. then put the top screw in before you remove the filling tube from the bottom hole. become one with your inner ninja then as fast as you can remove the bottom tube and put in the plug. also take note if theres any metal filings on the plugs theres magnets on them to attract the filings t^ watch youtube theres many videos for this

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »
oh yeah very important when refilling the lower unit oil fill from the bottom hole untill the fluid comes out the top hole. fcp only way to phrase that. then put the top screw in before you remove the filling tube from the bottom hole. become one with your inner ninja then as fast as you can remove the bottom tube and put in the plug. also take note if theres any metal filings on the plugs theres magnets on them to attract the filings t^ watch youtube theres many videos for this
You really do crack me up Al.... I cant wait to hang and fish with you!!! 

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »
Typically you need to
5)change zincs
8) disconnect fuel lines
9) cover the boat

All spot on, though I don't think you need to do #1 with an outboard.  Just make sure you store it with the engine straight down. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »
Yes, I did that, I lowered the engine and left it level. I ran the engine with the ears on, and then sprayed the fogger in. I also topped off the gas with that treatment. WD-40ed, my best friend nest to duct tape ( Kenny lol ) on all the joints. I will be covering the entire boat for extra protection as i've done each year with a tarp and tie it down. Come spring, I will put on fresh spark plugs, clean the oil filter that sits inside the engine, change out the water seperator thats in by my battery, its a white cylender looking thing, i have a tool for it to get it on and off snug, and also clean out the lower unit as you guys suggested. I've learned so much between you guys and my friend that came and helped me; I cant THANK YOU ENOUGH! I'm waiting on the last few things for spring thinking that it would be better with all the rain and snow that may come in this winter. I guess it couldn't have hurt to do it now too, but I just feel better doing in the spring and it's like a 20 min job...( I'm hoping that is ) I know how to do everything but the oil filter thats in the engine over towards the side and the lower unit oil. There are two screws, one towards the middle and the other on the bottom where the oil drains out. What else, ummm aside from the power wash and fresh coat of paint I am hoping I have it all covered, what do you guys think?         

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
Yes, I did that, I lowered the engine and left it level. I ran the engine with the ears on, and then sprayed the fogger in. I also topped off the gas with that treatment. WD-40ed, my best friend nest to duct tape ( Kenny lol ) on all the joints. I will be covering the entire boat for extra protection as i've done each year with a tarp and tie it down. Come spring, I will put on fresh spark plugs, clean the oil filter that sits inside the engine, change out the water seperator thats in by my battery, its a white cylender looking thing, i have a tool for it to get it on and off snug, and also clean out the lower unit as you guys suggested. I've learned so much between you guys and my friend that came and helped me; I cant THANK YOU ENOUGH! I'm waiting on the last few things for spring thinking that it would be better with all the rain and snow that may come in this winter. I guess it couldn't have hurt to do it now too, but I just feel better doing in the spring and it's like a 20 min job...( I'm hoping that is ) I know how to do everything but the oil filter thats in the engine over towards the side and the lower unit oil. There are two screws, one towards the middle and the other on the bottom where the oil drains out. What else, ummm aside from the power wash and fresh coat of paint I am hoping I have it all covered, what do you guys think?         

I take it you have a 4 stroke.  I'm a 2 stroke guy (comments to yourself GENTLEMEN!) myself so I can't help you in that dept.  The fuel water separator is simple to do, just make sure you get the old gasket out with the filter and just rub some oil on the new gasket so it does not dry rot.  Real easy to do, it's just a circular rubber ring. 

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
Uh oh,  :-\ it's a two stroke...im pretty sure it is, I mix the gas and oil together when I get gas, 12 gal to a qrt of oil. Have I done something wrnog already??  :-\  

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »

I take it you have a 4 stroke.  I'm a 2 stroke guy (comments to yourself GENTLEMEN!) myself so I can't help you in that dept.  The fuel water separator is simple to do, just make sure you get the old gasket out with the filter and just rub some oil on the new gasket so it does not dry rot.  Real easy to do, it's just a circular rubber ring. 

ovrbt   rofla rofla rofla

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
Uh oh,  :-\ it's a two stroke...im pretty sure it is, I mix the gas and oil together when I get gas, 12 gal to a qrt of oil. Have I done something wrnog already??  :-\  

If it's a two stroke and you're premixing, you don't have an oil filter on the engine.  That's probably a fuel filter.  It COULD be an oil filter inside a mounted tank on the engine, but if your premixing then I suspect it's bypassed.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »

ovrbt   rofla rofla rofla

ttp ttp

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 12:31:57 PM »
YES! There is that rubber ring that goes on the top of the filter before I screw it in!  ;D Ill let ya'll know come spring what's happening. I am just happy that its done and safe for over the winter... spring will be here before we know it and we gots to be ready!!!!  slt   

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-