Author Topic: 2010 Winter Flounder Regs Announced  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
2010 Winter Flounder Regs Announced
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:02:10 AM »
We've gone from no size and bag limit to this in less than 20 years.  It's amazing to me that what was once an incredibly vibrant fishery has become so terribly decimated.  Judging from this past spring, and the way these stocks have collapsed, I think anglers will be hard pressed to catch their limit in 2010.  nosmly
-Bob

From the NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2009/winterflounder09.htm

Changes to Commercial and Recreational Possession Limits for Winter Flounder
October 30, 2009

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife has announced that daily possession limits of winter flounder for both commercial and recreational fishermen in New Jersey have been reduced and the changes are effective immediately. The changes will be published in the November 2, 2009 New Jersey Register.

The reduced possession limits were imposed by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) which, implemented Addendum I to the Winter Flounder Fishery Management Plan (FMP) this spring for the inshore stocks of winter flounder. The harvest reductions imposed by Addendum I required New Jersey to change commercial and recreational possession limits to comply with the FMP and to avert a winter flounder fishing moratorium in the State.

The changes reduce the commercial fisheries daily possession limit from unlimited in 2008/2009 to a daily limit of 38 winter flounder for all gear types during the 2009/2010 commercial season. No person shall have in possession, and no dealer shall accept from any person, more than the daily possession limit of 38 winter flounder.

The recreational fishery possession limit has been reduced for the 2010 fishing season to two fish, down from ten fish in 2009. The recreational winter flounder season is March 23 through May 21, 2010.

ASMFC imposed the reductions in response to their recent winter flounder stock assessment that indicates the Southern New England / Mid-Atlantic stock of winter flounder is substantially below the minimum stock biomass threshold. The ASMFC Winter Flounder Management Board implemented Addendum I to promote stock rebuilding by reducing directed harvest of winter flounder in commercial and recreational fisheries.

For more information on the winter flounder resource or Addendum I to the winter flounder FMP please visit the ASMFC website at www.asmfc.org.

Offline MarshHawk

• Full Member of the Den
  • argh
Re: 2010 Winter Flounder Regs Announced
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »
Bucktail, I can't think of more fun than enduring 38 degree and a 20 kt wind for catch and release 10 ounce flounder
1 on a lure = 10 on bait

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
I've talked to my local tackle shop owner several times about this and he says" there's no point opening until the bass and blues start" doing their thing and it can be late April or early May. Not good for business at all.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »
I don't know much about this stuff, but wouldn't it be impossible for the commercial guys to cover expenses catching 38/day?  Or do they target multiple species in a trip? 

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:29:36 PM »
In essence what this will do is more or less close or severely limit the commercial fishery. ( also increase the price of Flounder at the market)
As far as recreational fishing it sucks,from 10 down to two is nuts, nts but it's better than them closing it altogether. nosmly
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:30:48 PM by bugmannj »
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
As far as recreational fishing it sucks,from 10 down to two is nuts, nts but it's better than them closing it altogether. nosmly

Actually, it probably makes no difference at all.  Most anglers were hard pressed to catch two keepers this spring anyway.   :-\

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 01:53:26 PM »
It would further hurt of the charter guys....how many people are gonna charter a trip with the hopes of maybe taking home 2 flounder?

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »
Flounder fishing is a lot of effort and expense for 2 little fish.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »
i wont even bother.....unless i'm bass fishing and want to slow troll 2 live flounders at the same time if we catch a couple!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 10:41:42 PM »
This is going to seriouly hurt a lot of people :'( nosmly

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »
10 to 2.....That's quite a drop.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 04:37:21 AM »
 Makes me wonder what they are going to do with summer flounder?  5hrug

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 09:19:57 AM »
Actually, it probably makes no difference at all.  Most anglers were hard pressed to catch two keepers this spring anyway.   :-\

That's very true!  Only thing that stinks is now people won't go and even try and Charters like the Fish Monger who were able to put a decent catch together won't get the business to go out for 2 fish and C&R on flounder.  I am never against closures and protection of the species when it needs it(and the flounder fishing has been pretty poor, especially this year).  However, now this is one more group of fish to take off the list for the year nosmly.  When does it end... 5hrug?

:-\

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
Sad to say,but the 2009 Winter Flounder season was a bust, and the fishery does need help. But... this is just the beginning of the shaft we are going to get with changes to the 2010 regulations concerning alot of our favorite species, not just from the State, but the Feds as well. Restricted seasons,reduced bag limits, size limitations,prohibited species. Our only hope is to support groups that say they are  fighting for us, and pray for vasiline. 5hrug
<'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-