Author Topic: Pilot / Kooz bass 11/19  (Read 2987 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot / Kooz bass 11/19
« on: November 19, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
Well you know how the saying goes....Always have a back up plan.  Tore the sheets off me at 4:30 this AM to meet Kooz at his house then make the trek to Brielle for a day of Toggin on the Fish Monger.  Brother Jay won a helluva prize courtesy of Capt Jerry & Wayne at the NJSWF dinner earlier this year.  Jay and Doc, T-bone and Capt Don were in transit around the same time.  We all arrived at 6:15 and greeted by stiff NE and Capt Wayne with some disappointing news that we may not head out.  Capt Jerry was up at the inlet checking out conditions.  When he arrived at the dock he made the right call and said we were going to pass for the day.  All of us were slightly bummed but fully understood the call.  Instead we hung out, shot the bull for a good 45 min getting to know Jerry and Wayne a little better and picked up a handful of good tips.   These guys are nothing but top notch professionals willing to share their knowledge and experience.   t^   Can't wait for the  reschedule.   

So... we all went our seperate ways and headed back north up the parkway.  At exit 116, Kooz and I said we can't go home for the day.  Both of us took off from work and had to take a look to see if conditions were anywhere near as bad as it was down there.  We headed to the new Highland bridge (first time on it since it opened)and I got to tell you, I felt like an osprey perched on the nest.  Visibility was unreal.  Spotted a couple head boats working their way to the SH reef and a handful of small craft in pursuit.  The ocean from that vantage point appeared reasonable and the Shrewsbury was flat as a ice.  Decision made.  We'd go out with an arsenal of jigs, find the bait and work it.

Pushed off around 8:15 headed to SH bay.  Again, flat as a pancake.  Made it around the tip and it was a little different story.  The 4-6 swells kept us honest.  The C80 light with bait in 28ft of water in between the channels on the nearer side to sandy hook about 1/2 mile past the candlesticks.  First drop tried the plastic and not a touch.  Switched over to 4OZ deadly dick and that was the ticket.  Kooz in the meantime, worked like a yo-yo champ using a gold hammered jig but could'nt get a rap.  When he let it sit on the bottom and slowed down the retrieve he got banged good.  When the fish surfaced, it turned out to be a doggie.   nosmly  Tikki came to the table today.  Went 3 for 7 on the DD.  30 1/2", 28 1/2" and a 26" in about 2 hrs.  The bait was thick.  The pickups on the fish were predictable.  You would see them on the sounder and bumps or hook ups followed.  Seas continued to build.  We called it a day at 11:45 and headed back to the barn for clean up.

Here's a couple of pics.  Check out the volume of sand eels in this one fish.  Nice.... now I have bait for the weekend.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Pilot / Kooz bass 11/19
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »
Nice report Pilot. It is great to have plan 'B'. Way to pull it off and get into the fish.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment of Capt Jerry and Capt Wayne. A better duo can't be found.

I do feel better now that I hear that Capt Jerry made the decision to cancel today. I planned on going out and checked out the ocean first and decided not to go. I was wondering all day if it was the right decision. If it was too wild for the Fish Monger it would have been hell on the Irish Ayes as it is about eight feet shorter.  ;D

When you do get your trip in you will not be disappointed.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 05:28:38 PM »
Joe,

My Maycraft is similar to your Parker and you made the right choice.   I can't imagine being out in anything smaller than Jerry's Bertram when it was downright ugly down there.

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:39:38 PM »
Maniacs!!!

Heard it wasnt as bad as yesterday... But still not pretty...

Glad ya snuck out and got some stripers

Cant wait to get ya guys out wish us on another

Great chatting with ya guys on the dock!!!

Offline chawk999

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
Well I guess we seperated the men from the girly-men today.  You and Kooz were bangin fish and T-Bone was slayin deer I was bangin my head against my tacklebox rgmn.  Way to stick it out fellas.
MJ

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:24:16 PM »
Great catch!  Nice pics. t^

Offline Tbone

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
Pilot, You da man.  Don & I said as we were driving home,  I bet Jeff & Koos go out.  You both had that look in your eyes,just like a little kid who just skipped school. Nice catch.  You are right about Jerry & Wayne.  I was truly disappointed but it was the right call. Not a nice day for blackfishing. I really wanted to talk fishing and shoot the BS but maybe next time.   I did try to get a deer this afternoon but saw nothing. nosmly  I guess it just wasn't my day. Donny, I thought you were going home to bang something else besides your tackle box  >:D. T-Bone   

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:01:50 PM »
I did try to get a deer this afternoon but saw nothing. nosmly  I guess it just wasn't my day.

Donny, I thought you were going home to bang something else besides your tackle box  >:D. T-Bone   

T.... I knew you were going to get out.  That big buck will be waiting for you next time.

And your right Donnie did say he was going home to take care of some business rofla

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »
Nice report, great story, way to go guys.  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »
Nice going guys,you turned it around with Plan B.
I'm sure the Capt made the right call for the safety of all concerned.You have to love it when plan B works.Nice report and pics.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »
Good stuff guys!  Nice fish!
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
CAPT Z nice going  clp nice pictures what were those two red and white cans in the pic. chrz could you see RUSSIA from the bridge?  ;D  I had one of those cans by my side while melting tire weights. chrz TIGHT LINES CAPT DON SR

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 08:26:34 AM »
Nice fish!  t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »
great detailed report and pics,some nice fish t^
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-