Author Topic: Trolling Sandy Hook  (Read 1236 times)

Offline lucky enuff

Trolling Sandy Hook
« on: November 21, 2009, 10:15:29 PM »
Got out with a buddy and trolled off Sandy Hook to try some new stuff for a tackle company we work with and to have a little fun!  We trolled a 5 rod spread. Two downriggers with grease traps, a 9'er umbrella rig on a wire rod, a homemade Hogy rig off another wire rod and a smaller umbrella rig on a wire dipsey rod. The action was non stop all day long...what a blast!
Our setups that worked best were:

9'er umbrella rig 180 to 235 out on the wire rod.

Hogy rig out 200 to 250 on the wire rod.

Grease traps with weighted shad as a trailer 100 back of the ball on the riggers.

Small umbrella rig on wire dipsey 65-75 out on a #2 setting

Here is a video of our day and the spread we ran...hope ya like. Can't wait to do it again!!

Rod

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Re: Trolling Sandy Hook
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
 t^ Nice job Rod! Where do you buy the Grease traps?
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline lucky enuff

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
The Grease Traps kicked butt Rick.  They need to be trolled 100 ft or further behind the boat. We used a weighted shad as a trailer. The best thing about them is blues can't chew them up and there is not the resistance you get with the umbrella rig. Since they weigh next to nothing, they need weight to get them down to the fish (even on wire), or troll them like I do on downriggers or behind a slide diver or dipsey diver. We also did better running two in tandem, but a single worked also.

We hooked up some BIG fish and plenty of smaller stripers and bluefish on them. One fish that was just so big I couldn't budge it and I straightened the hook on the trailer shad I was using. In hindsight we should have pulled rods and stopped the boat  rgmn Lesson learned!!

After three days of fishing, the grease traps held up perfectly but they are designed for lake trout so the swivels should be swaped out for stainless and they should be rinsed after use.

Here is the link:
http://shop.bigweeniebrand.com/category.sc;jsessionid=D45985A6552643C39756FF52AE54769A.qscstrfrnt03?categoryId=42
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:03:40 PM by lucky enuff »
Rod

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »
 t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-