Author Topic: mahi regulations?  (Read 6070 times)

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
mahi regulations?
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:05:24 PM »
 i have searched, but cannot find any regulations on mahi. what are they if any? are they even regulated by nmfs?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:13:56 PM by Reel Time »
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: mahi question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:11:19 PM »
Change the name of this topic to

Mahi Regulations

and in a couple days there will be a place to read about it ;)

Offline GregB

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:14:07 PM »
i dont think there are any size limits. Creel, I am unsure.???
"The Fourth Dependent"

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:57:29 PM »
Hi Guys,

None ... I am researching some info on this topic for a number of reasons.

No size or bag limit ... use your best judgement!

Stay tuned!

Capt. Ed

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:32:05 AM »
I heard if you have several anglers on deck and somebody catches one that the angler should leave the fish in the water for a pretty good shot at others hooking up if they pitch a lure in the area of the fish? anybody know if this is true and if so has anybody seen that first hand?

that would be incredible! would be like being on a school of blues only it's MAHI!! :o
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:06:45 AM »
I heard if you have several anglers on deck and somebody catches one that the angler should leave the fish in the water for a pretty good shot at others hooking up if they pitch a lure in the area of the fish? anybody know if this is true and if so has anybody seen that first hand?

:o

Absolutely true.

Always leave at least 1 hooked mahi/dorado/dolphin in the water and you'll be able to catch a few more from the school.

Usually all the mahi in the school will be of the same size.

Most inshore NJ mahi are in the #3-5 class. Which is only a 1 year old fish.

BTW, one of the best mahi baits is live killies. Throw a handful around a lobster pot, offshore buoy or any type of floating debris (weedline, pallet etc) and keep a sharp eye out for any neon green, blue or yellow flashes.

Mahi are great fun on light spinning tackle.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:13:30 PM »

that would be incredible! would be like being on a school of blues only it's MAHI!! :o
  Well, like most schooling fish, others Mahi will notice when a fish is feeding by its actions under the water.  If you leave the fish in the water, others will gather.... just like bluefish...  The difference is that there are an abundance of bluefish and it doesn't matter if you pull the fish out of the water because there are a ton behind it.  Mahi will run in much smaller schools then bluefish, so the trick is to keep them there.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
Re: mahi regulations?
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
thanks guys! can't wait to hunt down some mahi t^
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline GregB

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
I found the creel is 10 fish per man with no size limit
"The Fourth Dependent"

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »
I want to go get some !! use to catch them on my uncles boat in Fl great fights and eats  ;D just dont think my 21  with 63 gals of fuel make it to them from morgan  :'( :'(
'

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 10:14:16 AM »
Hi All,

Salty - that is the rub.

I see them very close to shore, most people do not look.

If you see pots or floating debris, weedlines and the water is warm and relatively bluish, go over and take a look. I always have a spinning rod with a white bucktail to throw at that stuff. They are ecosystems in themselves.

So, if you see someone approaching pots and debris slowly and throwing out some killies near it or using a bucktail, it may be me.

Everyone should start using the commercial markers as an asset rather than a hindrance. BTW, they can find strcuture like no other and they even mark it for you to record on your chartplotter. Take  a few minutes and run search patterns near their flags and see why they are there - there just may be a wreck, rockpile or other structure that you did not know about.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 01:07:23 PM »
Escellent point Capt Ed.  the comms know or find all kinds of structure.  Don't forget, them make a living doing this.  They wouldn't put their gear in a place where they don't expect a decent catch.  Their gear is not always in the same place.  If you get the numbers to where their gear is, on your next trip out you may find the gear is no longer on that spot and it can be fished without interference from their gear.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 09:35:48 AM »
Dont think my boat with 63 gals  will go out that far from morgan to get them  ??? Someone gonna have to bring me some steaks than. Think they out there by Ambrose?
'

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 05:44:14 PM »
 i dont know where morgan is, but i went out saturday to the mudhole, which is 15 miles (+/-) out of manasquan inlet and there where a ton of pots, if not hundreds of them. just punch in the oil wreck and check distance with your gps. i stopped 1mile short of it, and thats where all the pots where. so many i dont know how the hell your supposed to troll by them closely. you'd be zigzagging like no tomorrow.

also it was to rough to fish that day out there for me, so i cant give a report of that area for saturday

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 09:24:29 PM »
how much gas you hold? I have same boat but a johnson 130  hold 63 gals of gas  i have to go from perth amboy area to hook than around it. I know where its at use to fish for shark there and beyond with pops.
'

Offline njadam

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 06:23:28 AM »
Would it be possible to catch any mahi in the farms or 17 fathoms area as that is about as far as my comfort level will let me venture. Also is it possible to catch them without trolling? thank you

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 06:29:38 AM »
Adam,
I have caught them within one mile from Shark River inlet.  Granted, it isn't an everyday event but just indicates that you don't have to be in the mudhole or further out to get them.
OH yeah, we were fishing for fluke at the time and it hit the bait on the way up. 
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 08:45:47 AM »
 salty pig, i hold 105gals of fuel. i ran from the rt37 bridge up the icw to the manasquan inlet (about 11miles), out to 1 mile short of the oil wreck (14 miles), back to the inlet (14 miles), over to the axle carlson reef(4 miles), bunch of drifts there, and back to my slip at the 37 bridge and burned 1/4 tank.

that was with a pretty heavy load of 2 people, gear, 70lbs of ice, and about 70lbs of bait. basically was not able to plane the boat after 3 miles off the beach cause of roughness. granted i do have a 4stroke too.

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 09:32:14 AM »
WOW think mine is only 63 gals its 1997 21 ft  with 130 hp 2 stroke does that mean it burns up more gas? id love to go out farther just not sure if i should chance it gonna have to use the 1/3 rule i guess and attempt it.
'

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 09:34:33 AM »
 that would be the safest/best bet, the 1/3 rule rules.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-