Author Topic: Manasquan Stripers - 11/29  (Read 1132 times)

Offline shkbilly

Manasquan Stripers - 11/29
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
The plan for today was to limit out and play C&R so that way we could winterize next wknd and not feel bad about it.

Fail.

Turned left this time and planned on cruising to where we had them last wknd. Nothing doing on the way or at our spot so we moved furthur NE into the fleet off SR.

We read fish all day and had a few hookups but the action was sporadic to say the least.  Guys would hook fish around us every now and again while we couldnt buy a bite. Drifting was tough and the traffic was thick. We had 40+ foot convertibles setting up 5 feet off our bow all day.

We did stick it out though and as the herd thinned, the action increased. We finally were able to boat the only striper of the day, a keeper at 28" even. A bumpy ride home, but worth it.

With the drift how it was, 1.5knts+, we really werent able to keep the jigs on the bottom for long. We were using 27's and 47's, I didn't have anything bigger. I'm thinking that is why we weren't hooking up as much as the other guys. Most of the fish I read were on or just off the bottom. Does this sound about right? We had been doing 5ish bounces before a retrieve and obviously varying it up. Today we were lucky to get 2 good bounces before we completely lost the bottom.
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
Re: Manasquan Stripers - 11/29
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »
Next time try casting up current and working the jig around the boat and then as the line comes tight on the windward side, do a slow retrieve.  This way you will get more bounces on the bottom!

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:58:27 AM »
Great effort Billy. Nice way to stick it out and eventually get your keeper.

As Capt Allen said, try casting downwind. You will have more time near the bottom.

Get some Ava 6 and Ava 8 to add to your ansenal also.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:30:29 AM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:44:33 PM »
Thanks Capts. I tried that and it was better, but I still didn't feel good about it.

I'll have to add some heavier jogs to the boat. They make AVA87? Nice!
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-