Author Topic: Federal Saltwater Fishing Registry  (Read 61975 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Federal Saltwater Fishing Registry
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:09:19 PM »
I just receive this in an email:

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife reminds saltwater anglers that the federal government's National Saltwater Angler Registry Program requires most New Jersey saltwater anglers to register prior to fishing in 2010.

You must register if you*

* Fish for or catch anadromous species (striped bass, shad, river herring) in state tidal waters

* Fish in Federal waters (more than 3 miles from shore)

You do not have to register if you*

* Are under 16 years of age

* Only fish on federally licensed party or charter boats

* Hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling Permit

Online and telephone registration will begin January 1, 2010. Register online at www.countmyfish.noaa.gov or call toll free 888-674-7411.

Registration is free in 2010.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Federal Saltwater Fishing Registry
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
 I take it that means about ever one on here has to register.  rgmn

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
Some of our state legislators are still trying to work out a plan for NJ to run this registry.  As of now, at least one state senator is trying to keep this a free registry for us. t^

http://www.njsendems.com/senator.asp?sid=47

The RFA is behind his plan.  Read more here.

http://www.njsendems.com/release.asp?rid=2983

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:56:49 PM »
Bob, you are correct in that they are trying to get a NJ registry. In the mean time, you must register with the feds if you wish to fish federal waters (three miles or more off shore) starting January 1, 2010 (next month)  :P

Any boat owner holding a Highly Migratory Species Angling Permit (tuna permit) need not register (you are already registered with the feds when you get the permit).

You also do not have to register if you are fishing on a party boat or charter boat that has a federal permit. I believe any party or charter boat needs a federal permit IF THEY FISH FEDERAL WATERS. The IF THEY FISH FEDERAL WATERS would be the key words here. Some do fish federal waters and some do not. MOST party boats do, a lot of the charter boats do not. Best to check with the boat owner/operator.

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »
whats an "anadromous species"? 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:44:48 PM »
That is a fish that lives in the salt water and goes into the fresh water to spawn. Striped bass and herring would be two examples.  t^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »
I just renewed my HMS permit on line last week. I`m registered under that permit, but I still need to register my wife and daughter to make a family fishing trip leagle.  <`[[[[><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:11 PM »
One thing to remember, not only do you have to register but in my case my wife and daughter has to register as well.

If you are out fishing with multiple poles and they are with you they have to be registered.  This could get sticky especially if you have guests from out of state that do not fish salt water but are with you.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Ronster

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »
Some of our state legislators are still trying to work out a plan for NJ to run this registry.  As of now, at least one state senator is trying to keep this a free registry for us. t^

http://www.njsendems.com/senator.asp?sid=47

The RFA is behind his plan.  Read more here.

http://www.njsendems.com/release.asp?rid=2983

Van Drew will run against LoBiondo for Congress in the 2010 election cycle.   Mark it down.   ;)
"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance." -Aesop

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »
Dumb question here....the bays and ocean beaches are state tidal water?  5hrug

And you don't need to register if you fish for or catch blues, fluke, tog, etc? 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »

The way I read it...if it is a federal registry, you are correct. Just can't fish for/keep anadromous species (striped bass, herring, shad).

However, I would bet that if the state moves on this, everyone who fishes any salt water will need to register/have a license. You know the state, they do not like to leave anyone out who they can collect money from. ;D

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »

How does this wording affect the need to register?

* Fish for or catch anadromous species (striped bass, shad, river herring) in state tidal waters

So if you have bait out for blues and a striper happens to eat it and you land the fish, is that considered "catching?"

They use that wording to make it impossible not to buy the license, stamp, etc...

5hrug

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 07:00:31 PM »
Sounds like the same wording they use for having a trout stamp in freshwater.  "...a valid fishing license and trout
stamp are both required to fish for or possess
trout."

I was once told that it's the officer's judgement as to whether you are actually fishing for trout or not. ::)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »
Sounds like the same wording they use for having a trout stamp in freshwater.  "...a valid fishing license and trout
stamp are both required to fish for or possess
trout."

I was once told that it's the officer's judgement as to whether you are actually fishing for trout or not. ::)

EXACTLY!  I just bought a Trout Stamp to be safe and then took advantage of having it.  $10 now or $1000's later...

::)

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »
so....what about this gray area....some charter boats hold federal permits such as northeast multi species AND H.M.S. charter/head boat permits for tunas and shark....this allows us not to register for the registry. We fill out V.T.R.'S (Vessel Trip Reports) after every trip which exempts us from the registry....however....the way i am reading this...an H.M.S. RECREATIONALLY PERMITTED VESSEL would only cover that vessel if they are fishing for tunas or sharks....what if they are fishing federal waters for species not covered under that H.M.S. Recreational Permit (blackfish, flounder, scup, etc.) do they still need to register? 
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »
so....what about this gray area....some charter boats hold federal permits such as northeast multi species AND H.M.S. charter/head boat permits for tunas and shark....this allows us not to register for the registry. We fill out V.T.R.'S (Vessel Trip Reports) after every trip which exempts us from the registry....however....the way i am reading this...an H.M.S. RECREATIONALLY PERMITTED VESSEL would only cover that vessel if they are fishing for tunas or sharks....what if they are fishing federal waters for species not covered under that H.M.S. Recreational Permit (blackfish, flounder, scup, etc.) do they still need to register? 

As interpertided to me by a friend in "the legal field" , that's the only title he would let me say (he's trying to make partner), by having the HMS Permit, you become "Registered", regardless of what species you are fishing for. I'm led to believe that that will cover you,(Us Recreational Fishermen) as the "Registered" HMS Permit Holder, but not cover other fisherman inboard. I'm not sure how it applies to individual fishermen aboard a Charter trip, I we did not discuss that aspect.
For 2010, the registry is FREE, fisherman should cover their a$$ and just register to avoid hassles down the road. As this thing plays out within New Jersey during 2010, the state WILL come up with fees, rules, and regulations for us to adhere to , and I'm sure they will let us know how far to bend over. <'((((><

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
Grab your ankles in 2011. I believe that we'll get it in the end again. nosmly Just how much remains to be seen. With all the regs and closing of fisheries I might be better off taking up a new hobby.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:32:43 PM by bugmannj »
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »
...and I'm sure they will let us know how far to bend over. <'((((><

Grab you ankles in 2011. I believe that we'll get it in the end again.

Dang!  You guys really like to talk about taking it up the butt. nosmly  Maybe a little too much...   :-*

rofla

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:54:55 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »
...and I'm sure they will let us know how far to bend over. <'((((><

Live in New Jersey long enough, and we are getting used to it!  nosmly  <'((((><
Grab you ankles in 2011. I believe that we'll get it in the end again.

Dang!  You guys really like to talk about taking it up the butt. nosmly  Maybe a little too much...   :-*

rofla

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 10:03:51 AM »
As of right now, the federal government (NOAA) only wants a list of New Jersey residents who fish federal waters. They want this list (registry) so they have a data base of who they should be calling to take a survey of fishing activities. This is not a 'license' that is wanted by the feds, only a 'list' of fishermen/women to call for their survey.

As it works now, the calls they make are not always to people who fish, thus, wasting their time and effort. The feds want a list of actual fishing people to call.

As far as the tuna permit, that is issued to the vessel. Thus, the owner of the vessel is already registered with the feds for the purpose of this registry coming upon us.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-