Author Topic: 2 Mako Tournaments Out of Manasquan Inlet  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Mate Mike

2 Mako Tournaments Out of Manasquan Inlet
« on: June 22, 2007, 04:04:01 PM »
Today is the first day of the 3-day JCSA Mako Tournament out of Crystal Point and tomorrow is the first day of the 2-day Mako Mania out of Clark's Landing.  I'm surprised how little talk there is about these tournaments.  I have fished both for the past 10 years but decided no more for me.  Mako Mania fee has gone up a lot to $425 plus the calcutta and now they hold both on the same weekend.  So if you fish one you would be foolish not to enter both and enter both calcuttas.  That's an expensive weekend with both entry fees and calcuttas.  Of course it's worth it if you win.  An example of foolish – In 2004 fished the JCSA Tournament with Capt Bud on his Splinter; we placed 2nd but the 1st place winner did not enter the Calcutta.  Hooray for us, we won the big money.  Again I’m surprised with 2 Mako Tournaments going on how little talk there has been.
"I spend most of my time fishing and bow hunting, the rest I waste."

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 2 Mako Tournaments Out of Manasquan Inlet
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 04:28:52 PM »
Mate Mike,
I agree with you about getting into both tourneys and calcuttas.  How can you not get into the calcutta when that is where the big money is.
I don't think you will hear much about these tounaments on this site because it seems there are a lot of small boat owners. (small being 25' and under) who can't hit the canyons.

For the shark tourney I think the big boats have a distinct advantage because of their extended range.  You have to hit the canyons for the winning fish.  That is my opinion anyway and the reason I don't get into these tourneys.  I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

Congrats on your 2004 2nd place and calcutta win.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Ruger314

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 04:33:55 PM »
I got to agree with Irisheyes..Plus I think its becoming a expensive trip for most guys to swing..Hell thats a boat payment for most!!And you haven't even adding the cost of bait,fuel, etc.. I know guys split stuff across the board but People just don't have the money to spend!!

Hey would love to try but, need to upgrade and find a comfortable crew to handle the costs and  know how of the trips..

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 04:41:13 PM »
Hi All,

I agree with everything above.

One other thing ... one or both these tournaments need to be bashed. They should not be on the same weekend. Many reasons including the Bait and Tackle shops who are already suffering with shorter seasons, lack of bait and increasing costs. I know folks that organize these things thinking of all the variables but they should!

Whichever tournament moved theirs to line up with the other should be killed here. It is a stunt ... they know that most folks will enter both tournaments this way.

Shame on whomever did not do their homework or did do their homework and tried to be cute ...

Capt. Ed

Offline Mate Mike

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 04:57:30 PM »
JCSA used to have there tournament on Father's Day weekend and Mako Mania used to be the following weekend.  JCSA moved there tournament up and is now on the same weekend as Mako Mania.  A lot of people were pissed (myself included) but they "claim" the reason it was moved later in the month was because the weather was better.  With both on the same weekend it has gotten too expensive for me.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 05:02:36 PM »
Hi Mate Mike,

That is the answer I expected and not reasonable.

Thanks,

Ed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:11:41 PM »
I don't see any reason for them not to move it up another week so it is after the Mako Mania.  Have two weekends in a row for shark tourneys.  And that would also answer their so called problem with the weather etc.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:34:02 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »
Hi Irish and Mike,

Good point Joe. I was just talking to some people and apparently one of the groups was having (and is having) problems getting participants. You can guess which one or I will PM you.

It is a shame as I was thinking about joining this club and a few people now (that were or are members) have talked me out of it. They call it more like an Elks but with a fishing mission statement.

Cheap beer for all,

Ed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 06:27:23 PM »
Hick' up...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Mate Mike

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
I was thinking about joining this club
  I used to be a member but did not renew.  It has become more of a drinking club than a fishing club.  I also used to belong to the Belmar Fishing Club but resigned for the same reason.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »
Hi Mike,

Exactly what folks are telling me ... a shame.

Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-