Author Topic: "Tailgate on Ice"  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
"Tailgate on Ice"
« on: January 03, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
For those of you who are getting cabin fever, check out the fastest growing winter sport - ice fishing. In the '50s and '60s this was a family outing on Lake Hopatcong with hundreds of anglers enjoying this winter sport. I have never gone ice fishing before, so it has raised many questions on how, where and even why. I did some research and spoke to a few friends who have been ice fishing for generations and they tell me it's like tailgating on ice.

First you need to find fishable ice. (Four inches or more) - Lake Hopatcong, Lake Wawayanda, Swartswood Lake, Paulinskill Lake, Cranberry Lake, Lake Musconetcong, Budd Lake, Mountain Lake, or any other frozen body of water. Safety is the key, so make sure to check ahead and see if the location you intend to fish has safe ice. You can never have enough warm layers of clothes to wear, and always bring backup so if you do get cold or wet, your day is not over. A thermos with a hot beverage is a good idea and since you're at a public lake bring along the tailgate supplies and food. For all you Jets and Giants fans this should be second nature. Don’t forget you will also need a fishing license that you can get online or at any participating sport shops.

What do you bring to catch fish under the ice? I read that most anglers bring a sled to transport their tackle and supplies on the ice which enhances the whole ice fishing experience. Local bait shops will sell live shiners for bait - two to four dozen is recommended, or meal worms and grubs will also work well. You'll also need a hand auger or ice chisels to cut several holes in the ice. I'm told you will need to buy a "tip-up" for each line, which is an apparatus that flips a flag up when a fish hits your line; this way you don't have to stand there and hold your line in the cold. You can have up to five of these set up on the ice, and make sure you put your name and address on each (rules of ice fishing). Tip-ups are inexpensive and you can get them at the local bait shop as well. If this is too much information a small fresh water spinning rod and reel will do.

Now, what type of fish is lurking below? Well, according to the N.J. Division of Fish & Wildlife, many species of fish including warm-water species such as largemouth bass, sunfish, crappie and yellow perch are active and susceptible to ice fishing techniques. Two of the more popular and widely distributed species are the chain pickerel and yellow perch. Both species are generally found in shallow depths (less than 15 feet) associated with aquatic vegetation. Yellow perch are a schooling fish and once located, the action can be fast and furious. Sunfish and crappie also school up and can be caught in good numbers. Large predators like smallmouth bass and largemouth bass are also on the prowl and provide a little more challenge.

Several popular cool-water fish species found in the northern U.S. and Canada have been stocked in recent years by the Division of Fish & Wildlife and angler organizations in New Jersey. These fish can provide the ultimate challenge for those ice fishermen looking for trophy-size fish. These species include walleye, northern pike, tiger muskies, and last but not least is the true "cold water" fish, the trout. There are several lakes where holdover trout are available and others that are stocked by angler organizations in the fall. Fish & Wildlife has also increased the opportunity to catch trout through the ice with the relatively new Winter Trout Stocked Lakes program. For more research log on to www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/articefish04.htm. Remember to have fun, take all your trash away, and be cautious, courteous and safe. 

Fish on!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: "Tailgate on Ice"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »
I usually use the tip ups or pop ups when fishing multiple Holes and use a short ice jigging rod on one of the holes.  A good thing to have is a strainer with a handle to keep the holes clear of ice.  As you are jigging one hole you keep scanning the  other holes and watch for the red flag to spring up indicating you have activity on said holes.  If you don't have a shed you have to keep moving from hole to hole or you will get mighty cold out there.  A power auger is also a good idea. On a real cold day the ice slushes up quickly on your hole but that's OK, keeps you warmer moving from hole to hole.  A toboggan is a good  transportation device.  I have also seen guys using small flat bottom aluminum boats to transport their equipment out there.  A scary thing for me when I first started i nosmlyce fishing was, the loud sound it would make sometimes when the ice cracks for a long distance across the lake.  That was spooky
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline RKLindner

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »
Used to go during the 70's on Swartswood Lake, usually catching pickerel.  One memory that stands out was catching one, driving home to Union with the fish wrapped in newspaper in the trunk, going to the basement sink, unwrapping the fish and putting it in water.. and a second later, hearing the tail slapping around.  That fish was out of the water at LEAST 3-4 hours!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »
Nice posts guys.  t^ t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »
Great Info Guys. 

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
perfect set up
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-