Author Topic: New Member Intro  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Big Country 08

New Member Intro
« on: January 11, 2010, 07:17:11 AM »
I moved to Philly from San Diego last summer.  I am originally from Norfolk Va.  Even though I miss the sunny weather out in San Diego, it is nice to be back on the east coast.

When I moved here from San Diego, I decided to keep my boat in Norfolk because I know those waters and my wife likes to visit her Mother frequently.  However, after driving back and forth to Norfolk for about 6 months to fish, the drive is getting old. In the spring, I plan to move my boat up from Norfolk to Philly and fish the New Jersey Shore this summer and fall.

I am looking for some mates that have local knowledge of the Jersey shore to share some insight on how to fish the local area.  My boat is a 24' Center Console deep vee with a 225 four stroke motor.  The boat is outfitted with all electronics, safety gear (including EPIRB), ton of tackle and rods, outrigggers, downriggers etc...  So, if you know the area, need a boat to fish on, shoot me a PM. 

Oh yeah, here is the best part, I am moving again in the summer of 2011, so you wont find me on your spots in the future, I will only fish the Jersey shore for one year.

One last thing, my fishing partner is my 12 year old son.  Your kids are welcome.  There is not a lot of smoking and drinking going on on my boat, we fish, occasional beer is ok but not a full blown party.

Big Country

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:32:15 AM »
Welcome BC.  You can get a lot of help here.. with fishing locations..  where will you be Launching from?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:05 AM »
Welcome back to the east coast and to our informative site.

I am sre youwill have guys accompany you during the summer for you fishing excursions. Just post up when and where you will be fishing from in the float plan section.

The very first place I would fish if you are trailering your boat would be the Sandy Hook/Raritan Bay area. The striped bass fishing usually starts up there before most other places. Just keep an eye out in the early spring.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:28:46 AM »
Welcome
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:36:25 AM »
  Wecome to the site BC.  I assume you like our striper fishing. Spring stripers are the best we have in local fishing. If you're on a trailer you can go where the fish are. Delaware river gets going early in the spring and close to you. Some of the guys on here know plenty on this topic. Plenty of time to get aquainted. Welcome   ;D

Offline Big Country 08

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
Thanks y'all for the warm welcome.  It is certainly good to be back on the east coast. Except, for the cool temps.  However, the cold is a small price to pay to be free from the left coast.

I have just started my research on where to put the boat in.  I was thinking the Belmar area since it looks to be the easiest drive over from Philly.  However, I am open to recommendations.

I have one question.  The ramp fees are killer.  One launch is just a little less than what I paid to store my boat in VA for a month.  Anyone know of any good ramps that are accessible to DOD?  Maybe a Coast Guard station along the coast?  I am able to access all military / DHS locations.

Sandy Hook / Raritan Bay area looks like an interesting place to fish.  Looks like you could almost see the NY Skyline from there.  Never have been to NYC except passing through the airport.

Country

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
  Wecome to the site BC.  I assume you like our striper fishing. Spring stripers are the best we have in local fishing. If you're on a trailer you can go where the fish are. Delaware river gets going early in the spring and close to you. Some of the guys on here know plenty on this topic. Plenty of time to get aquainted. Welcome   ;D

I wouldn't recommend the delaware to anyone who hasn't been there more then a handful of times. The tides are tricky, and the rocks around the trenton area/Duck Island ramp are killer. I've watched numerous small boats hit rocks that are barely sticking out of the water. That's just my .02, and I'm sure he wouldn't fish for stripers near Duck Island, but I just wanted to forewarn about the rocks.

Keep doing research, and I'm sure you can find a cheap boat ramp.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
welcome.. even if it's only parttime..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
The Coast Guard has facilities in Sandy Hook and Manasquan. Both good fishing areas. Manasquan is the next inlet south of Belmar (six miles) and not much further of a ride for you. I do not know if they allow launching or not.

As far as the Delaware River goes, you should have decent striper fishing right at Philly, no need to travel up to Trenton. Check the locals there, I'm sure they can help you as far as ramps and fishing areas, but there are several bridges guys anchor up near (great structure for the striped ones).
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Big Country 08

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
Irish,
Thanks good info.  I'll have to drive to the CG stationin Samdy Hook and Manasquan and check it out.  My big boat is not going on the Deleware.  However, I got another boat that will work great in the Deleware for spring Striper and some fall duck hunting.

Clark

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-