Author Topic: Summer Flounder proposals for 2010  (Read 28739 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Summer Flounder proposals for 2010
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »
Ken.. Your Beating a dead horse here.. Though I'm all for a great debate... but from here to every site you have Spammed this Crap on.   Maybe it's time to...

How about we talk.. say Flounder Rigs 5hrug

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »
Ken.. Your Beating a dead horse here.. Though I'm all for a great debate... but from here to every site you have Spammed this Crap on.   Maybe it's time to...

How about we talk.. say Flounder Rigs 5hrug

This was the best  LOL LOL LOL 

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

We are now on Facebook come and be a fan. 

"I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 07:47:08 PM »
 whs

Thank you Rod.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »
If NJ would have been proactive and had a saltwater license in place this year, in addition to the many benefits of a license, there was a chance that our 2010 flounder season could have been May 1- Nov 1 with a 17" fish, 6-8 fish bag limit.

Who is this clown?  :headscra:

Offline Kensdock

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
Let me just add that I COMPLETELY understand the desire for the longest season possible! Fact is that it is tough to make money with restrictive bag an size limits, but it is impossible to make money in a given fishery if it is CLOSED!

I get it, believe me I do. However, if we can work the Sea Bass season to be open later in Sept., and the Fluke boats can "survive" with a season that encompasses Memorial day to Labor Day, we might (I say might) have a shot at being able to hold off extending the season to its max in Fluke and thereby hedge our bets for the future.

As I said before, for the businesses (I am not trying to speak for individuals here, I know what the anglers on our boats want, they want keepers more than more time to throw fish back) they need to determine what they feel their businesses can or cannot survive with. And, only they can decide that. I can give advice, I can tell people what has or has not worked and what has or has not happened before and what possible outcomes/consequences/benefits may come based on experience.

What I cannot do is tell them what works best for their business. As I said, only they can decide that and I will respect whatever they (meaning the various business owners) tell me. I might disagree with it, but I respect and understand all the various decisions.

I have dealt with this issue for so many years it gets frustrating to have to push for things that may help one group but will inevitably hurt another. Let's face it, since we had to lose our late September/October season a few years back, and with the size limits we are now at the shore guys are basically in a catch and release fishery, period.

The southern guys have always wanted their earliest possible season and many have told me the fall "exit" as it was put does not have the same fish available. I do not know, so I have to go by what the "experts" tell me they see in their neck of the woods.

It sucks, which is why I have spent so much time and energy with SSFFF the past 3 years. That group is the single reason we are not looking at far more severe cutbacks and /or closures in Fluke, period.

Quota had to be our number one concern. Once we get the quota back to a respectable level we need to continue fine tuning the rest of the system as it relates to Fluke.

We will continue to fight on all fronts to the best of our ability (we meaning SSFFF, UB and RFA, the ones who have always fought)
There is two estimates of NJ saltwater anglers, NOAA's about 1.2 million and the resent US fish and wildlife survey of hunters and fishermen that estimated  about 600,000 NJ saltwater anglers .NOAA uses 1.2 million when setting our flounder season options.
.Here is were I obtained my number of NJ saltwater anglers http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st5/publication/econ/MA_NJTables , I was made aware of US  F&W survey by CaptTB and Hutchjr of the RFA during a debate over a NJ saltwater license. Actually the 1.2 is a little higher and the 600,000 is a little lower. It is easy to reason, that with an accurate count of NJ saltwater anglers our flounder season could be greatly increased.
 I would have paid 25 or 30 dollars for a saltwater license this year for the chance of greatly extending our flounder season, let alone the other benefits of a NJ saltwater license.

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 07:54:58 AM »
And a free Salt water registry, and online registry, a $2.00 fee registry all would provide the EXACT SAME INFORMATION as a SWL.

So Ken, when are you going to back up your wild statement about fluke season till november with small size limits etc?

We are all waiting. ::) ::)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 07:59:01 AM »
 :headscra: Perhaps we will hear the long season and great bag and size limit tonight at the meeting in Toms River. You know, like a surprise birthday party or something. Come in expecting something and they just blow you out of the water with a great surprise when you walk in. ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »
no fluke here in Puerrrrrrrrto RRRRRico....  :headscra:

no snow either...............  clp

seriously we can't afford to be throwing back 18.4" fish when will it end?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:19:09 PM by wb »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »
Update ( March 4th )

Tonight The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council opted for option #1. Which gives us both holidays. May 29 - Sept.6  (6) fish at 18"

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 12:55:09 AM »
Thanks for the update  t^
Mark

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-